For the past couple months I've been working this job at for local Girl Scouts. It's my first real job. It's a program where we travel to different schools and do Girl Scout programs with girls. Anyway from what I've heard from my co workers, the program is falling apart and has been for the past year. The original boss quit, the boss that came in after her just quit and now there's someone new from another department taking over. I was recently sick with the flu and had nobody to call in sick to because at the time there was no boss for the program. I was out for 3 days.

The new boss that stepped in called me to introduce herself. She confirmed the days I could work. A day later, my grandfather passed away and I got the phone call while I was on my way to work. I thus had to go straight to the hospital. It was very stressful for me. I called later that day and left a voicemail to let her know what was going on and that I wouldn't be able to make it in for the next few days. I haven't had the chance to speak to her over the phone because of the wake and funeral services. She called yesterday left a voicemail but I was unable to pick up because of that. I called today two times at 10 am and 1pm and she never picked up. I looked at the schedule online and she has taken me off of it. I honestly am so stressed and upset about what happened, I don't feel like returning to my job. The program is going downhill. It is a seasonal job and ends in May anyway. I only work 2 or 3 days a week 3 hours a day. I already have another job opportunity. It is more permanent and something I am more passionate about. I don't know how to go about this..

What if the boss only took you off the schedual because you said you needed to take a few days off? Or has she removed you from all the rosters completely? Well from what you're saying it sounds to me like you're not loving this job anyway so I would say do what your gut is telling you.

I'd give the new manager the benefit of the doubt at this point. It says a lot that she called you to introduce herself. Like you, she probably has a lot of things going right now, and still she's tried to return your calls. Until you are able to talk with her, no one really knows what's in her mind.

I'd keep moving towards the new permanent job that you want, and keep this job until you get the other one.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Archived