the battle w/ razor burn!

does anyone have ANY tips or remedies to help w/ the painful redness and bumpiness of razor burn you get from shaving down south?? i like to shave every few days but it just hurts and now ive got bumps and redness and its just not a fun situation... anyone have any suggestions or quick fixes??

I find letting it grow for about a week or so between shaves helps cut down on razor burn. I know there's the whole hair growth thing to deal with then, but I think 1/8" hair is more attractive than red irritated bumps.

I personally have not found any creams or liquids that work, ever. Maybe someone else has had luck with them, but I can't say I have. What has helped was washing with an exfoliating body wash using a scrub. This also helps with the bumps many people have on the backs of their thighs and also makes your butt supersmooth. Concentrate on scrubbing for at least 30 seconds in each area. After a couple weeks you will be amazed how soft your skin is in previously bumpy areas, and you should have LESS bikini area irritation.

Have you tried the soothing bikini gels that contain I believe lidocaine which will numb irritations to the skin. I agree that shaving less frequently would help it out. Also using warm water, or some form of shaving cream may lessen the irritation to the skin b/c the moisture will help it out versus a dry shave. If all else fails, could try waxing?

Let the hot water in the shower soften your skin for a while before you shave.

Use a good shaving cream and lather it on!

Use a quality razor. I actually use one of the Mach 3 variaties, but of course the "Venus" is the same thing basically, I just like the weight of the mens one's better! If you get the vibrating one though, don't get carried away in that area..OUCH!

Anyway, use a good razor like that...I find that with the three blades, weight, and pivot I only have to go over an area once as opposed to cheaper ones having to go over a couple times and increasing chance of razor burn.

Once you are done and dried, use a moisturizer of one of those gel aftershaves by Gilette or something that guys use on their faces (just get one that is not full of menthol stuff as that can burn - trust me, I borrowed the bfs once!)

I shave about every 2-3 days in that area, and have really minimized irritation by doing all the above.

I don't have that, but I avoid shaving upwards, and always shower the area after shaving with lots of cold water. It sucks and it's a total anti climax to the shower but it works.

My housemate says my method is useless for her, so she doesn't shave. She waxes. I never hear her scream but I imagine it's worse than my local cold post-shave-the-south shower.

Ilse.