Just found out best friends mom has cancer

While at school today, I found through one of my best friends, that another of my very close friends's mom has cancer (not the guy I wrote about a month ago).

Here's the thing, only a few people know. My other friend was told by his mom, who is friends with my friend's mom with cancer. But the major concern is this: my friend's mom hasn't told him yet. I mean, I feel so many ways right now. I feel terrible me and my other friend know before he does. I feel sick to my stomach because I've known this lady for a long long time, and she's an amazing person.

I just don't know how to support my friend and his family if they aren't being open yet. I mean, my friend is a really really happygolucky person. He is so full of energy, but how can I pretend to be just as fun around him when I know the sickening thruth. Yes, I know she'll tell him soon, but I don't even want to face him tomorrow, I don't want to slip, for starters. And I'm really feeling depressed about this now

How should I act, what should I do to be a friend, and support him?

This isn't my first close experience with cancer, but when it's a friend, it's harder to support them than family, know what I mean?

What should I do?

Please, could I get everyone's thoughts, this is a major concern to me right now, and anything anyone has to say would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

Thanks so much

Love, JImbo

Well, first of all - don't tell him! Try not to let it slip - his family should be the one to tell him. You know that already. If he asks why you're acting weird, just say you had some bad potato salad for dinner last night, or something...

I'm so sorry to hear about the cancer. My own dad died of leukemia about 13 years ago, so I know what it's like. After his family tells him, write him a letter or e-mail, telling him that you are there for him if he ever wants to talk. If he's depressed, drag him out of the house to play some basketball, or to go watch a movie or something.

It's hard when you are so helpless, but just remember, by simply being there, you are doing SO MUCH for him!

I think you should try your best to carry on with him just as you have been doing. Once his family tells him let it sink in and just be there for him. It's going to be a difficult time for him and he's going to need his friends more than ever. Later on like Annie said: ask him to do stuff with you like shoot some hoops...stuff like that.

I hope things turn out ok.