Make it count.

SkyFire

As my guitar teacher came over, I was completely unprepared with the things he had given me to learn. This has been a rough week for me.. but I did not take responsibility and told him straight out I wasnt ready. He asked me, what was I doing this past week.. I thought hard, what HAVE I been doing? Well, I hung out with friends alot. Every day after dschool until about 7 pm.

He told me, that I wasted a week. This, for some reason, hit me hard. And it has, because I have indeed wasted a week. I have done all my studies and work, but I havent went to the gym, havent played music which is a huge part of me, and generally been lazy.

After he left, I, as always, reflected.

How much time have we wasted?

Things such as sitting on the couch, and watching TV, when you can be doing something productive. I hardly watch TV.. once in a while for the funny shows.

What do I love to do? I love to play music. I love to make people who love me happy. I love to go out and have fun.

I strive to be the best I can at playing music. I am now going to try even HARDER to be the best. I want to break new ground. I shall work my behind off for this.

Sure, it is fun to go out and party once in a while. It is fine to feel tired and wanting to rest. That is part of being a human. But still.. you should always be doing something productive. You should always be trying to improve yourself.

Why sit on your couch watching TV when you can be outside riding your bike?

There are such great things out there to live for.. you just have to work for them.

We have wasted enough time. Maybe I am wasting time writing this.. maybe it was a waste of my time signing up for these forums and trying to help people out.

People, I want you to do something. I will do it too. Tomorrow, I want you all to run. Just run. Run for an hour. Do pushups until you collapse. Situps, whatever. The point is, push your physical limit until you have no strength left. If you get around to doing this, post your experience duing and especially AFTER it.

I conclude this by saying that time is running out. Your death creeps closer to you with every breath you take. When you die, nothing will matter. The fact that you were too shy to talk to girls wont matter.

You will be remembered, or you will be forgotten.

Go out there and make it count.

well what you see as a waste is all a matter of focus.

your guitar teacher has focused on music, to him / her any time used on anything other then music is considered to be a waste.

if you believe that your time with friends and in front of the tv was of some value to you then the time hasnt been wasted.

People, I want you to do something. I will do it too. Tomorrow, I want you all to run. Just run. Run for an hour. Do pushups until you collapse. Situps, whatever. The point is, push your physical limit until you have no strength left. If you get around to doing this, post your experience duing and especially AFTER it.

why do you want us to do this? (i do that already anyway)

but still the point is that its personal choice. many who read this may even see this exercise as a waste of time. i myself would see it as a waste of time ... unless it was consistent. one trip to the gym wont tone you up. it would have to be done over and over to see results? after all these gym visits and you still dont reach your desired result would you consider that a waste? i probably would

its about focus and results

your 16, dont focus on time running out and death creeping up on you.

just enjoy it all as it comes.

but i see where your coming from with the guitar teacher tho, my bass teacher gets cranky if i dont practice for like 3hrs a night.

You are right in that we should be trying to do something productive and make the most out of our time. But mr sad is right in saying that what's productive can be a matter of opinion. I've never been big on physical things. I'll take long walks occasionally but don't have any interest in hitting a gym or riding a bike. I'm more of a mental and emotional person. I do spend time watching TV, but it depends on what someone is watching. Are people watching mind numbing reality shows or movies that's only purpose seems to be to show random acts of sex and/or violence? Are or people watching something that could be educational like the History Channel? For me it's science fiction which always deals with complex moral and ethical issues. So I don't feel like I'm wasting my time as I am learning new things and stretching my mind to think about new things.

And yes, you are a little young to be worried about when you die. But still, when we die what will matter is what out lives stood for. Did we waste it away doing nothing or did we try to be the best person we could be. We will be remembered by someone, but that isn't even the point. What matters is that we tried to do the right thing, simply because it was the right thing.

Lemme say man, im all about not wasting my time. Just do whatever ya want. It does feel nice to accomplish something, but thats all up to you to decide. If you feel like watching tv is a waste, then dont do it. I think knitting is a waste of my time so i dont do it. If ya like knitting, hook it up knitting style.

Your passion is good, but just realize life is all about balance. If you are all energized one day it is likely you will be doing the opposite the next.

I took guitar lessons when i was in elementary school. I didnt practice much. Now i play my guitar like a mofo. I just want to now and theres no one making me and its all me. My life is about me and my time and where i want to put it. Just do what ya want, thats my theroy for life.

If you watch too much tv or something soon you will be like, "Man my fat a** is watching too much tv" and you wont watch it so much cause you wont want to.

I got this book it says this:

WANT leads to CHOICE, which leads to COMMITMENT.

SHOULD leads to DECISION, which leads to SACRIFICE.

If ya do something you should do then you are gonna feel like you are sacrificing something. Sacrifices are no good, commitment is. If you want to work out you will, if you should work out you will for a while but eventually stop cause you are sick of making the sacrifice.

This reply has effectively gone no where. My bad for rambling.

well what you see as a waste is all a matter of focus.

your guitar teacher has focused on music, to him / her any time used on anything other then music is considered to be a waste.

No. What he said simply made me realize how much time people waste in this world.

Also, the exercise thing is supposed to be likea kick in the behind for people that need it.

Another thing, I believe people should not be afraid of death. I am not. I worry more about living my life to the max, so when death comes, I can die in peace and with a sense of self-worth.