I'm falling in love with my best friend

kamikaze1

I got out of a long term relationship a few months ago, and he has broken up with the girl he was seeing about two weeks ago. We've always talked a lot, make each other laugh a LOT, and have exactly the same outlook on life. It's hard for me to be just friends with someone who 'gets' me so completely.

I think we would be perfect for each other and can sense that I'm falling for him. I have no idea how he feels, he's a very polite guy, so I don't want to mistake his 'niceness' for flirting. I don't want to ruin our friendship either by telling him or kissing him.

Everyone has noticed that we would be perfect for each other, even when we were in committed relationships with other people, it was always quite transparent that there is something there.

I just don't know what to do. And I don't want to be 'friendzoned' either (it happens to girls as well, guys).. Any advice?

Since he's just fresh off the relationship cart, you might want to play this slow. Yes, there is risk of friend zone but there is a greater risk of him using you as a rebound. Don't let your heart get the better of your head. Give it some time. You've had a few months to cope, heal and accept whereas he hasn't had that yet. Really consider why he broke up with his SO. Don't take all he says about his past relationship as gospel right now. If he were to get into a relationship with you too soon it could end in disaster. You need to take time to gauge how he get's through the missing the ex phase first. This might take awhile.

Yup- best to keep a safe distance for a while as he deal with his BU.

And you, as well have gotten out of a long term one a few months ago. So you're both needing some time to work on accepting & healing from your past relationship breaks.

It is best NOT to run into a nother relationship that fast! You need to be more mentally & emotionally stable.

"It's hard for me to be just friends with someone who 'gets' me so completely. "

- Really? Well, I think you should just keep it together and if you can't handle it.. avoid him.. stay away, or you can end up with heavy regrets. look up rebounds.

If you want to preserve future potential, I'd back off now and tell him that you're walking away because you'd like him to consider dating you in a few months when he's over his breakup.

I'd be careful to avoid playing the emotional bandaid role with a guy fresh out of a relationship. You know what happens to bandaids when they're no longer needed. You don't want to be "appreciated for all you've done for him" once he's healed and whole and ready to go explore his single life with people far less wonderful but suddenly far more sexy than you...

Rebounds HURT.

Fingers crossed for you.

Archived