Yup, I suck at reading the signals....

GirlontheLam

Alright, I need your help on "taking the next step."

So first I need to start off with some history. A while ago I met a guy who was working at a semi-regular catering gig. Probably a year ago at this point. Anyway he's pretty friendly, he paid me a compliment and we chatted a bit. And I thought, oh he's friendly and its a bonus that he is good eye candy too. Anyway this went on for a few months (as this was a monthly gig) and we'd always stop to chat a bit when I came by. He is probably 7-10 years older than I am.

Later on he invited my friends and eye to a special event where they were catering. And we ended up getting some extra attention. (Yay! Free food.) I thought he was friendly. Before the evening closed, he came over to chat with us and stayed awhile and we all chatted about basic background stuff and so on.

Later my friend were like, oh he was totally flirting with you, did you miss that comment about not having a girlfriend. Ooops. I am clueless.

Anyway a few weeks ago, I ran into him, because the catering company spun off into a restaurant. I go there for a celebratory dinner. And my old buddy is like "omg I haven's seen you in forever...." We enjoy our dinner. (Yay! More free food!) And before we take off, he gives me a celebratory hug.

Then I start thinking, oh maybe it was actually flirting. But I am not so sure.

So I decided to go back for lunch a couple weeks later. (This time I was alone) And I see you know who. He starts asking about my celebration dinner, my sibling, (who he met back at that even months earlier) my plans for the evening, all sorts of friendly stuff. We had a good chat. But I totally miss the hint about going to happy hour with him.

So obviously now I am like OK he is way too attentive not to be flirting. (Keep in mind he is still at work!)

And now that brings us to today. A few more weeks later. So I see him at lunch. Say hi! And he comments, "yay, you came to see me." Compliments me on my outfit. I get a little sidetracked by another guy at the place (networking not flirting..i think). Once that guy leaves, he comes over to chat, and keeps coming back over between customers. We talk some more over the next 45 minutes. He asks me about stuff we talked about in previous convos, I find out he lives in my neighborhood. (Yay!). And eventually it is time for me to go back to work, and he says "come back and talk to me!"

So I totally failed and didn't get his number or return the invite to happy hour. *SMH*

So what should I do next time I go to the restaurant?

If he seems so interested in you why hasn't he asked you for your number?

He is at work as a restaurant cook...... so not like there is a pen handy! And there are clearly interruptions! It isn't quite the same as any other sort of situation.

The other thing that is different than what I'd call typical interactions in this sort of patron/worker thing is really around the conversations I have had with him. He remembers the personal details, and shares his own as well. As a chatty person, I've got topics that are fair game for strangers and others that are (potential) friends only, and we've crossed over into some more personal ones.

So I'd read these as posit signals. Particularly today when he kept coming over ever free moment to ask more questions.

Archived