Anyone here ever been part of an intervention??

oitnb

I'm considering organizing one for my mom. Her drug of choice is prescription pills (really any type of pill that will get her high) and yesterday I realized she's full on doing them again...

She offered to help me get some stuff for the house, she picked me up. Her driving was so erratic (swerving into oncoming traffic, driving ridiculously slow, braking for no reason ect) I made her pull off and let me drive. She kept nodding off while I was driving and then nodded off IN FRONT OF A CASHIER in PUBLIC. I was mortified to say the least.

So.... I'm worried about her. I don't want to get a call one day saying my mom overdosed. And I know it's getting close to that point. I just have no idea how to organize an intervention for her. Tips?

I haven't been in one personally but I've heard of doctors of the patients who have helped to organise an intervention with loved ones.

Can you call up her doctor and tell him you concerns? He may be able to help you or point you to someone who can help organize an intervention.

I haven't been in one personally but I've heard of doctors of the patients who have helped to organise an intervention with loved ones.

Can you call up her doctor and tell him you concerns? He may be able to help you or point you to someone who can help organize an intervention.

I'm not sure if she's even seen her doctor in years... She has chrons disease and used to be quite close with her gastronoligst (spelling might be wrong) and that's who she originally got her pain meds through that got her addicted.(she was seeing him since she was 12, in fact he might be retired now) Now she usually just goes to the ER. I could do some digging and see if she's still going to her actual doctor though.

She's just so good at hiding her addiction when she gets called out on it. Yesterday she said she was "tired from work" and gave a super over dramatic story saying her roommate was touching her when she falls asleep. Which I really don't believe. It's a "smoke screen" tactic she always uses when questioned, say some crazy dramatic story to get them to feel bad for you and then they'll forget you do drugs! Yay! > ya right.

The other night I let her stay all night so she didn't have to drive 30 mins home after work (my house was right by her job) and she literally was standing up, bent at the waist, passed out in the kitchen. I had to run and grab her because her head almost hit our counter. I couldn't fall asleep until 6 am because I kept finding her passed out in random places throughout the house.

Hmmm, I have no suggestions for you, but I am also in a similar situation with a close family member who clearly has a drinking problem but is in denial. Me and my bro have discussed the possibility of an intervention but have been reluctant to go through with it. We are looking into attending Al-Anon meetings to get some advice, support and direction.

I totally get what you are saying about her "hiding" the addiction, in my case, when she is questioned about it, she says "I've had a long day at work, i deserve to have a drink' or "I really only have a few glasses of wine" or "I'm old, I an do whatever I want and what's it to you?" etc....very frustrating

Perhpas there is a similar support group like Al-Anon for your mothers specific addiction, just to provide support and give some ideas or next-steps in dealing with and potentially confronting your mother about your concerns.

Archived