Finishing my major in my late 20's and feeling so left behind?

yeawutever

It's really a long story and I resumed college towards mid Oct of 2011, starting another major. Now I'm slightly more than half way but still, it's a long way till 2015.

Needless to say, I feel far behind those that are younger than me and already finish their major and are either promoted to higher job positions or already own a business. On the other hand, I'm still a college student and working at a call center that will never promote me (my job requires little to no real skills at all) and I still want to own my own business in the near future.

I know this isn't required when dating a man (luckily) as they don't focus too much on a woman's status or brains but still; I do want to make something of my own and wouldn't want to take the cheap way out like one of my mother's relative did (my mother and others can't stand her). That woman is conceited and talks about her wealthy position and only like eating in expensive restaurants when in reality she's not even working, has poor as a child and in her teen year, has never obtained a college degree and she is living well only because she married a wealthy, business man. She is cheap talk and did absolutely nothing on her own means.

Now I'm wondering if anyone else is in their mid 20's and still with no college degree or on the process of getting it in the near future?

You are only 26. You are overthinking. It's never too late. Don't compare yourself to others or you'll only be let down and never happy, no matter what. And 2015 is only a little over a year away. Not long at all! Time flies.
Thank you. Yes, had one of my female friends (who recently got her psychology degree; she's 26 too) also telling me that it doesn't matter how long it takes to get it, all it matters is I get it in the end.

I'm about to turn 23, and I'm in my first year of uni... i started VERY late and I'm unsure of I'll even finish... circumstances didn't permit AND i really didn't feel like getting a degree.

I did plenty of things during those years to justify why I didn't and yeah it does feel like i'm being "left behind" when it comes to the piece of paper called a degree, and I don't really get along with my classmates because they're so young.

However none of my friends, family, clients or employers I've worked with doubt my level of education, abilities nor worth as a person.

That piece of paper might help you get a foot in the door but it won't guarantee you much and I know this for a fact as I'm always accepted and more sought out than those with the major completed. In any case it really never is too late to get it.

I have 2 friends that are 26 and 28 and they're about to graduate themselves.

I completed my degree when I was 26. I noticed that because I was a little more mature, I took my classes far more seriously than any of my classmates and believe that I got a lot more out of them than most people.

The other way I look at it is in 10 years its really not going to matter if I graduated a few years later. It might bother you now, but once you graduate and are out in the work force for a few years you won't really care. I say take advantage of the college schedule (if you're working part-time) because you'll miss it down the road. You won't get these years back. I always considered myself lucky that I got a few more years without much responsibility before stepping into the "real world".

I finished grad school at 28 because I worked for 3 years between college and grad school. I knew a number of people who attained their final degrees in their late 20s or later. No big deal. Perhaps my husband is an exception but as for him and most of the men I dated with any seriousness they were extremely focused on finding a woman who was compatible on an intellectual level, well-educated, and ambitious about her career goals. As far as "status" I don't think degrees have anything to do with social status.

I'm 23 and planning to get my degree next year. It will take 4 years to complete. I had thoughts like you but I keep asking myself "how do you see yourself in ten years time?". I figured a college degree would be worth it and the fact that I feel like I'm stuck in a rut. Don't worry. Education is a lifelong journey after all. And I'm sure you will be very happy when you finish. Better job, better pay.

I finished college by age 20, and worked three years. Needed/wanted a MBA to really get into the field I wanted. That took to 27.

I am now 53 --- and semi-retired. I could retire now --- but I think I would be too bored!!!

So ---- work your plan.....it works!!!

I was academically dismissed from college 3 times by age 23, while going for a history/econ degree. At age 28, I now have two, simultaneous six-figure jobs programming software.

I hope you're going to school for something that you love, or at least really like. If not don't waste the money, and just focus on something that you do like.

I was academically dismissed from college 3 times by age 23, while going for a history/econ degree. At age 28, I now have two, simultaneous six-figure jobs programming software.

I hope you're going to school for something that you love, or at least really like. If not don't waste the money, and just focus on something that you do like.

It's definitely what I love and have a passion for. I love anything that has to do with general administration and travelling, also culinary arts and even history and some psychology. My major has all of that.
It's definitely what I love and have a passion for. I love anything that has to do with general administration and travelling, also culinary arts and even history and some psychology. My major has all of that.

Sounds like you're well on your way down the right track. Stop worrying so much, and enjoy the ride.

Archived