Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Korean Men

Luckyirishlas

Hi!

So theres a strong possibility i might be going to Korea for 6 weeks to work. I love Korean culture, watch all the k-dramas and listen to k-pop and take korean lang classes...

Im hugely attracted to korean men, and want to have some fun while I'm there.

Any advise from korean/ asian men/women? Or ladies who have gone to Korea and hooked up with a korean hottie?

Thanks

Thanks for the link...

but my god, that does not paint a pretty picture for the dating life over there

From my limited understanding, Korean culture tends to be very conservative. Since you like their culture so much do some research and see what you find. Expectations, gender roles, etc are different in every culture.

From my limited understanding, Korean culture tends to be very conservative. Since you like their culture so much do some research and see what you find. Expectations, gender roles, etc are different in every culture.

I already know that they are a conservative country, i spent time over there before for business.. and I have friends who are Koean

However not all koreans are very conservative, I went clubbing in Seoul and this wasnt the case at all. I want to hear back from people who are korean or who have gone out with a korean guy...

From what I heard from friends teaching in Korea... the general South Korean public are not 100% receptive to non-Koreans; even if you are asian, it HAS to be Korean. Most will be civil to you, but its a false politeness because you are an outsider. It is a bonus that you can speak the language, but realize that they still might accept you because you are not Korean.

Coming from a person who is marrying an Asian husband... be careful that you don't come off obsessing over their culture. It turns them off because they will think you are objectifying them over their race. They will know that you are. I had two friends with Asian fetishes who scared their dates away just by doing that. Just make sure you're not like "I'm here for the Asian guys" or something crazy like that ;P

From what I heard from friends teaching in Korea... the general South Korean public are not 100% receptive to non-Koreans; even if you are asian, it HAS to be Korean. Most will be civil to you, but its a false politeness because you are an outsider. It is a bonus that you can speak the language, but realize that they still might accept you because you are not Korean.

Coming from a person who is marrying an Asian husband... be careful that you don't come off obsessing over their culture. It turns them off because they will think you are objectifying them over their race. They will know that you are. I had two friends with Asian fetishes who scared their dates away just by doing that. Just make sure you're not like "I'm here for the Asian guys" or something crazy like that ;P

I agree with this. Most people of color do not want to be approached as a 'fetish.' They want to be seen as individuals who happen to be of a certain race/culture.

There are actually lot of pop-cultured obsessed non-Asian women (and men) going to Korea these days to be fan-girls/boys and to look for Korean boyfriends/girlfriends. So, you will definitely not be alone! And Koreans are aware of this so they know it's an easy way to hook-up with foreigners.

My guess is that you will not have a hard time to find a casual hook-up or even a short-term boyfriend at a club or via friends, but I wouldn't expect a long-term relationship. Many Korean men will date non-Asian women for the novelty of it and show them off to their friends, but they don't take the relationship seriously. You might be used for an ego boost, but I suppose it can be win-win.

Your biggest problem is going to be to communication barrier since most Korean men have terrible conduct of English, if you can speak fluent Korean then good on you.

Not sure if this helps but in Korea, beauty standards for women are eyes with crease or double eye lid eyes, small face, oval or heart shaped head shape and pale white skin. If you fit that description then I'm sure you will have no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Korean men are great~ (though I am with a Japanese now and he might kill me for saying that).

Be a little careful, I've noticed a tendency for guys to hit their women. Not generalizing, just my experience, maybe I have bad luck.

Also I am in Busan and not many men speak english here. Not sure your age but might be best to find an English major/teacher... But actually sometimes not being able to talk to each other is good. Pretty hard to find something to argue about.

Archived