met online - now phone call vs skype?

loveunsub

Hello,

I just met an amazing person thru an online dating site. We've been chatting and exchanged numbers for texting. Would it matter whether a phone call or skype/facetime is used to step up the online dating process? I feel I would be better on the phone since floating heads on skype/FT seems more awkward for me. Personally, i would hold off skype/FT until a few days before meeting in person just to completely eliminate the idea of "catfishing", but i may be wrong. im not completely against skype/ft, but i would feel more comfortable using it after the other person knew how i am in person just to use as a baseline comparison to my awkwardness on skype/ft. any opinions?

I don't think there should be an "online dating process." I think online dating sites should be used as a way to get in contact with a person for the purpose of meeting in person if within one or two emails and one phone call of about 15-20 minutes you think you could enjoy or at least be comfortable with spending about 45 minutes in person with this person. I think that should happen within a week or two of the first contact on a dating site. If you want to date online then yes, do all that technology offers- but if you're looking for a relationship that happens in person it's unnecessary. For safety I did google searches, knew the person's last name and made sure we had that phone call because that gave me a lot of relevant information as far as whether to decline meeting in person.

Archived