Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Moving across country...HELP!

nponinski

So I am a single 27 yr old male and I'm looking to move from Wisconsin to the Seattle area. I am having second thoughts, but just wanted to get some opinions. Here's the situation: I have a job interview lined up out there for me in three weeks, but I haven't found a place to live yet. Its very difficult because everywhere I look out there is so expensive. I'm not sure if I can make it. But even aside from that, I'm very stressed and emotional right now because I am leaving behind my family, my mom and 15 and 9 year old brothers. Our dad isn't around much to see them, and I know they don't want me to go and would miss me very much so that makes it hard. My grandma, my moms mom, is dying of cancer and will probably pass away in a month or two at most. I feel like if I leave I am abandoning everyone to take a chance and see if Seattle would be better for me. And also my sister who is 30 is moving to Tennessee with her fiancé and my niece in a little while. So my mom, and two brothers who have looked up to me all their lives and are very close to me would be left behind by themselves. On one hand I like the challenge and adventure of relocating, but on the other hand maybe I need to settle down here and put family first. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Do you live with your parents? or nearby? If your grandmother is dying and you are worried about leaving everyone behind so far away why not try someplace closer like Chicago? St. Paul/Minneapolis? Indianapolis? or if you are in northern wisconsin - how about Milwaukee or Madison? I would also consider going out for the interview and not looking for a place until you get a job offer. While you are there for the interview, stay at a hotel and spend a couple days exploring and seeing if you could figure out areas where you could reasonably live. Also, what if you go out there and they DO NOT offer you the job? I would either apply to a lot more places there or I would apply to places in other cities closer.

Some people don't mind being far from family, but it might help you if you are within a day's drive of them if that gives you a better piece of mind before moving a few days' drive away.

No I do not live with my mom, I live on my own. She is in Green Bay I live near Appleton, 20 mins or so from them. And its kinda tricky, because I cant just drive or fly out there for the interview, its costly. My thought is if I'm going I'm going once. I'd have to put in my two weeks on this Monday at my current job to make it out there on the 16th after I see my grandmother (she's in Indiana). I've decided to take off of work, go out there for an interview, come back, and then go out there again just wouldn't make financial sense for me. Plus my dog is coming with, which makes it even harder to find a place. I guess I thought it would be easier...

Have you been to Seattle before or are you just interested? I would suggest that you do not move until you have a job offer. If you don't have enough money to travel there for an interview, return to WI and then move out there when you get a job - I would recommend saving some more money before you go. Having some extra dollars on hand would be very helpful after starting a new job anyway while you're waiting for your first paycheck, handling unexpected expenses or even if you want to fly back to visit family. Again, I strongly advise that you do not move until after you have a job offer.

What if you don't get the job? It will also be very costly to try to make it there without one. Also, if you move already having the job, they will probably understand your relocation issues and not make you start in one week. After rounds of interviews, etc, and an offer, most likely even if you get the job after the interview, it could be a month to six weeks before you start even if you lived local. Just saying. I've done it = moved to another city, but I had job in hand. I looked for apartments online and had some tentatives when I was waiting for the offer and it took six weeks to get an offer, and I started another month after that. I had enough for first, last, security, travel expenses and two months of bills. I would go out with more saved than that, but i knew i would get paid three weeks after I started so it was lean, but i didn't have to worry. Also, some people won't rent to you without a job. Just keep that in mind. I would honestly keep your job. And save the money so if not this job, you have money to interview for another.

btw, in the past when companies knew i was out of state they did preliminary phone interviews with me first and one job i never met in person until the day i started and another job i had a physical interview but that is when they were already pretty they liked me and it was down to me and one other person. If this physical interview is your first interview with this company, this is hugely risky for you to move out there for the interview.

Archived