How to Politely Request a Full Day Off on a Crisis Situation?

ChellyV

We are in a crisis situation at work. One of the senior dispatchers is in the hospital and will be there for a long time. I am 1 of 4 office based workers who is the most available for work, the others being older and easily get tired.

However, I am on the 10th day of working straight, sometimes 12 hour shifts and I am aching for some rest. How do I request for a day off in such a way that I wouldn't come accross as indifferent? You see, we are a small company with an "older" work force. I am 43 and I am the youngest one here would you believe, but then I too have things to do beyond work....

Help please!

If you are doing work that requires someone present 24 hours a day and only one person at a time, then each person should be working one- six hour shift every day or one twelve hour shift every other day. I understand the other workers are older, but you are doing more than you can handle. Tell them this workload is not sustainable for you. It would be hard for anyone of any age to sustain. You need to ask for more than one day off; you need them to make other arrangements. It sucks someone is in the hospital but this stuff happens. Are they looking for a temp worker or someone to fill in for this person? If you are working close to 12 hours a day, the other 3 aren't putting in nearly as many hours as you. You need to decide on what IS sustainable for you. Even working 12 hours a day with one day per week off sounds like too much for me. Maybe 10-12 hours a day for 5 days, the sixth day shorter like 4-5 hours, the seventh day off. That still sounds like a lot but maybe it's something you can handle for x number of weeks.

You know what you are right.

I need to talk to them tomorrow and see what other arrangements we can do. I am exhausted and much as I do want to help, I cannot do 12 hour evening shifts all 7 days. It is just too exhausting. I hope they do not think that I do not care because I really do. I am just so tired.

You know what you are right.

I need to talk to them tomorrow and see what other arrangements we can do. I am exhausted and much as I do want to help, I cannot do 12 hour evening shifts all 7 days. It is just too exhausting. I hope they do not think that I do not care because I really do. I am just so tired.

Good for you. I doubt they will think that. If they do, they should try pulling your shifts for a week or two straight. You are working harder than everyone else. It's good to have high expectations of yourself, but remember to hold other people to that same standard also. There's no reason for you alone to take the brunt of this situation when there are 3 other workers.

Let us know how it turns out!

Good for you. I doubt they will think that. If they do, they should try pulling your shifts for a week or two straight. You are working harder than everyone else. It's good to have high expectations of yourself, but remember to hold other people to that same standard also. There's no reason for you alone to take the brunt of this situation when there are 3 other workers.

Let us know how it turns out!

Yeah, it doesn't matter that they are older, either, if they try to pull that card. I know some people say young people are more energetic and have less responsibilities, but older people also have more experience handling things in the workplace, so it could actually be argued that they should be working more.. not that you should argue that, of course, just theoretically speaking.

Archived