So....What makes you and your life AWESOME???

There are many threads in this section about healing, moving on, sadness, hurt.....

But lets look at the positive things in your life, and forget the negative stuff and hurting for a moment!

I wanted to start a thread about us and what about us and our lives make us AWESOME!!

Tell the group mind what it is that you bring to the table that rocks!

What are you good at? What aspect of your life is positive? Whats your special "gift"?

Are you musically talented? Are you a good listener? Maybe you're an awesome parent! Perhaps you're a great fisherman or hunter..... Do you like to travel? Perhaps you are a great artist? Do you excel in sports?

Dou you like to volunteer with folks or maybe homeless animals?

Maybe you knit humorous cummerbuns!

Whatever your "thing", shout it out here! Tell us what floats yer boat!

Great idea Surfjon!

Okay, I am a great parent, I can go anywhere, I am "real", I am resilient, I will look you in the eyes, and some people think I am funny. I am wise and I am curious, and I am well- traveled. I will be smarter next year then I am today. I make good money and support my kids, and I am somewhat athletic.

What makes my life awesome? The fact that I am grateful for it every day.

What makes my life awesome... I think I am pretty good at identifying what exactly makes me unhappy and then I do my best to change that or adjust my attitude/outlook in a way that I can view things differently.

For a long time I wasn't happy with my social life and my interactions with people. Even though I always had friends, I felt lonely a lot. I did a lot of pondering and concluded that it must have been due to my negative view on people- I didn't have the best chilhood and was often rejected and mistreated, which in turn made me dislike people in general I think. And someone who thinks like that will show it in their interactions with others, subconsciously or not. SO I decided to not punish people for how I was treated in the past, and give everyone a solid chance. I became more open and warm towards people and now know it is essential to be interested in them. I never cared much for people before and now I do and it shows - I have become quite popular amongst my social circles and everyones responding much more positively. So, that is awesome. Yay!

Other than that - I've got quite a few talents, traveled round the world on my own at the age of 19 and 20, am a bit quirky and dorky (I HOPE this is a good thing mwahaha), really adventurous (spontaneous roadtrip to Madrid? I'm up for it!!!), I'm a good writer,.. and plenty of other things!

It is easy to be down on yourself after a break-up. I know I was. I doubt myself so much sometimes it's crazy. But I know I have a lot to offer, and someday I'll find that guy who will appreciate me just the way I am.

Ithink.....

I found that even when hurting reaally bad, I always would feel better when my kids were with me and somehow had the ability to shelve the pain, be upbeat and hopeful, and be a good dad to them even when I just wanted to die!

I find too that when I'm hurting, I do more with helping out with the local homeless animal rescues, something about it just feels right! It takes some of the hurt away to help a homeless pup or kitteh!! And I meet nice like-minded people at the same time....

Me and my ex-GF did it together, and it's a little sad she's not there with me.......but oh well!!

Who knows! Maybe my next love will be there one day helping out too! Never know huh?

I love this post idea!

What makes me and my life awesome...

I am a decent dancer and I can play the piano. I have a job that allows me the means and flexibility to travel whenever I want and still have a savings. I have my health. I have parents and friends who love and support me and taught me the value of good relationships. I am emotional and naive, which cause me problems sometimes, but allows me to live life to the fullest flavor and believe the best in people. I am passionate and caring. I have a quirky and nerdy sense of humor. I can bake like nobody's business. I am curious and aim for personal growth.

I am capable of loving. I recently lost a great love which is one of the most painful experiences in my life that I am still healing from. Ultimately, I believe in love and I know I have what it takes to fight for love. I have also learned when to stop fighting and respect the decision of my ex and respect my own sense of self-worth. The chance to heal and learn and grow - that's what makes life pretty awesome.

I really like what IThinkICan said: "The fact that I am grateful for it every day. "

Thanks surfjon! I was having a really sad (couple of) week(s) and this really uplifted me and reminded that life is still pretty awesome.

The most amazing thing about me is that I have an AWESOME son. He is just so sweet and so funny, he kills me. And a really GOOD person, too. I see him as my biggest contribution to the human race.

I've had a really great career as a screenwriter -- which means everything to me, being able to entertain people for a living.

And I'm really proud of always having rescue dogs for over 20 years now (and a cat now, too, god help me) and being a great Pack Leader. I'm also taking care of my dad right now and (hopefully) helping him in a meaningful way.

Sharky...

Me and my now ex GF used to volunteer and foster dogs together, I have 2 "foster-failures" A Rat Terrier and a Parsons Jack Russell, both death-row survivors that I fell for and kept, my ex REALLY loved the Jack, and I know she misses him dearly, they were really close and I'm sad that he can't see her anymore, but oh well! She wanted out......

I have 3 rescue cats, and I take care of 3 feral cats that we trapped, and had spayed, then re-released...kinda sad, I remember she and I rigging up a trap and waiting outside to trap them one-by-one.....that was when things were really good....

I still volunteer at the local rescue farm, and although it makes me a bit sad she isn't there with me, the animals make me happy to be around!

Lilypad....You have some great things to offer not only others, but yourself...I feel like music and creating something from nothing are powerful healers!

One of the best weapons I have against the pain is my playing guitar. I feel so blessed to be able to play and sing in front of people or by myself. My guitar is a true friend, I often go to the beach or some quiet place and work on my songs or my set. I forget about any problems I have for a while, and just disappear.

I like to think that all the music people make sort of just drifts into the atmosphere and never really disappear, just hang up there swirling.......

Perhaps you feel the same at the piano, like it can take you to a safe place for a while......

I was working on a song the other day, I have not been able to really write anything since the split, and although I have a good 2 solid hours worth of songs I play, just have not been able to clear my head out enough to focus on writing any new stuff until a couple days ago......The way my GF drifted out of my life in January, being ambivalent and not ending things....making me do it, seems so rampant here, so many people are left that way it seems, and someone coined it the "Fade-Away Method"...

Anyway, I was just practicing and was thinking of how she left and it occurred to me to write a song called "Fade Away From Me", I've had this chord progression I've been kinda saving for a special song, so I started writing the words right then and did a rough demo recording of it. I suddenly burst into these bittersweet tears....so sad for how she left me, but so full of joy at being able to focus pain into creativity and a healthy outlet for that pain.

I almost forgot that 2 years ago, when I felt her slipping away, that I had written her first song....a first farewell, how ironic that I'd be writing a second farewell song to her now! I had forgotten until I was listening to my old digital files that I'd written and recorded it! Her name was Ashley, and I had called it "To Ash", I forgot how sad I was when I wrote it, and It's quite good....although hard to perform it without getting misty.

I feel like after my kids, my playing music is one serious AWESOME part of my life and what I had to offer.....

PS.....I should have picked up on a huge red-flag for me as she knew how important this was in my life, and barely ever came out to my performances........I guess it just wasn't that important to her....

what makes my life awesome... well...

I seem to be able to make people laugh, which has a gravitational effect on other people. I'm also pretty understanding, and I'm pretty charismatic overall, since I find people very easy to win over as friends.

Normally I am filled with confidence and a high degree of self respect. I'm exacting and clear in my thoughts and words and because I'm straight up and honest, it's very difficult for people not to give me the marmite attitude. I'm love or hate really, which makes things clear cut.

I enjoy a reasonably strong physical body with few faults in it. I am full of energy and motivation most days to try something new.

I have a wide variety of hobbies: martial arts, painting, drawing, creative writing, running, weightlifting etc.

writing's going well, I have finished a manuscript and if I cut it down, a literary agency I emailed a sample have said they want to publish it!

I have a nice home and a loving family. I have a small but close group of friends (though one of them is giving me hassle right now)

Lastly, and possibly the best part is an ironic thing: What felt like the most painful thing in my whole world (the breakup with a girl I would have happily married) has given me the backbone and drive to live my life completely on my terms: Bon Jovi's 'No Apologies' summarizes where I'm at emotionally now. I've got no fear to do what I want.

Great thread!!!

What is awesome about me and my life:

I'm a very smart girl, I speak 4 languages, I'm a hard working person, and I'm also passionate about litterature.

I'm also a great company for going out and I have a sharp sense of humor.

My job is wonderful and I'm really blessed for it. I can work from any place in the world and I earn reasonably well for someone of my age.

I also have a great family, which lives in peace. We're a great team.

I believe in the best in people and even if I get hurt a lot, I still think it's better than being the person causing the pain.

It must be really sad to be the one cheating/hurting.

I'm a loyal friend and lots of people think I'm a great writer.

Thank you for this post, I already feel better

Doingit....

Awesome! The gift of conversation and making people laugh is a gift....girls love a guy who can make them laugh...and the ability to draw people out thru conversation is a really valuable trait.....be proud!

I'm not a big guy, but at 47 I feel like I'm in great shape...I'm an avid off-road mountain bike rider, surfer, skiier,love to fish and be on the boat, etc....really active... and when she became all weird in January, I lost my appetite and rode my butt off!! Lost 20 pounds and feel like I look better than I have and in better shape than in 15 years! Sometimes we reap positive benefits from these breakups that we didn't even expect....Heck, I had to go buy several new pairs of 31" Luckys I've trimmed down so much!!

Congrats on the screen play! Keep us posted!

Last, yeah.....these times can make or break us, better to regain control, grit your teeth, clench your fists and rise above it all rather than let it beat ya down and take your control and dignity!!

I feel like in the rawness and pain of the first few months, although reeling from the loss, I felt more alive and in tune with my feelings than when I was "comfy" in a relationship, it's odd, but I just felt every synapse, every second, in such a real way.

When the hurt is REALLY over, I'll try to keep that going and not get numbed and placated in my next relationship, that's when you miss the red-flags!

Lorelei.....

4 languages! I have trouble with just one great! I manage to butcher a little spanish when I'm on a surf trip, I should work on that!

Having a good job and career is important in these times of emotional challenge, it makes it better to not have concerns about jobs when we're sorting thru a breakup......

Family and friends soooo important, I've leaned hard on both these last 5 months, and I'm sure they're glad I'm emerging from this finally! And being a good friend to others also...when we're hurting, we often focus on ourselves and our problems and may miis the fact that our best-friend may be hurting too and need us just as bad as we need them....being a good listener is key!

Archived