Stuck inside, watching the beautiful weather pass me by

I am sure many of you share this feeling.. Being stuck indoors doing work when you would much rather be outside in the sun..

I'm currently revising for my final year exams, and I all I want to do is go to the beach!!

Ok admittedly it is not that warm outside, a hoody and jeans and I'm warm enough.. But no, I am stuck in doors revising schizophrenia and personality disorders, some of this stuff is so depressing, especially when reading through case studies..

So, someone.. Ideas on how to stay motivated please? I wont be able to enjoy the outside world properly until after all my exams are done, I can try and revise outside, but I have to prepare essays and such which involve internet thus computer.. bah humbug...

I have a laptop that might work! suns gone behind a cloud, but I shall do this when it brightens up.. Gonna be stuck in the uni library during the week days, but weekend for sure means I can go and sit in the garden.. Dunno why that one didn't come to me, I did that last summer when I was revising lol.. /me is dumb at times haha

I need to spread some love grr sorry Raiden lol

Do you have to be in the library during the week? My job bores me, but I've found that if I work from a coffee shop using their wifi and sit by a window it's much more bearable. You feel more connected to the world because you're out in public and you get the sunshine from sitting by the window.

I would still suggest that a few of those days you meet up at a coffee shop instead to break it up. I don't know the dynamics of what you're working on though, so it may not be possible. Luckily it's not 100% nice out yet so by the time it is, you should be done with all of this!

I agree, laptop + wifi + sun! I'm going to do that today in a gazebo by a pond in the park. I also agree with changing up your environment. Though it's harder with groups. How big is your group? Can you guys go out for coffee or take a break together and then move to a different spot after 3 hours just to change it up? Even that helps breathe new life, especially for a 6 hour study session.

If you have to do this for a few days, maybe one of the days, you guys can all bring a potluck picnic and just have a study session out on the lawn.

Thanks you two.. We can mix it up, but not until our loans come in, which aren't in for another week and we all live in different places.. The amount of people varies, tomorrow theres up to 6 of us so, also some of us are doing experiments so need to be on campus.. I may suggest sitting outside somewhere on campus though..

Sometimes you can't always have what you wish for. Instead you may want to look past your nose and undestand that there are more important things than a little sun. Just to let you know, it rises every morning of each new day.

Tis true.

Sometimes you can't always have what you wish for. Instead you may want to look past your nose and undestand that there are more important things than a little sun. Just to let you know, it rises every morning of each new day.

Tis true.

Aye I know that, but it is great for morale to be able to enjoy the sun, and besides fresh air is good for ya of course I understand that there are more important things, such as my degree, but I wont get far if I'm feeling down..

Going outside for awhile really helps! Especially if it's just for reading or quizzing one another.

Yeah, I think that will be in the days before our exams, we will deff get to it most of my friends are writing up projects too so its busy busy here..

Thanks you two.. We can mix it up, but not until our loans come in, which aren't in for another week and we all live in different places.. The amount of people varies, tomorrow theres up to 6 of us so, also some of us are doing experiments so need to be on campus.. I may suggest sitting outside somewhere on campus though..

Just curious, how come you need loans to change work locations?

Ideas on how to stay motivated please? I wont be able to enjoy the outside world properly until after all my exams are done...

Think about the fact that it will be over in a week, and then you can go enjoy the beach for the whole summer if you want. If a week seems like a long time to you, think about me, who is sitting here with a broken spine for months, not being able to 'enjoy the outside world properly'. When I find myself wallowing in my own self pity because it's been snowing and I can't go snowboard, I think about the people stuck in wheelchairs permanently, and suddenly a few months doesn't seem so long. You're lucky to be where you're at. Count your blessings and stop whining. Wait until you get out of school and can't find a job to start complaining, like everyone else.

Oh its more than a week, and I wont get to enjoy much of summer (not that England gets much summer anyway

Although that sucks I'm not whining everyone gets moments where things seem to much and I want to keep my motivation up, this thread was not made to whine about stuff. I love uni, I love being where I am and I am enjoying, but that doesn't mean that it gets tough!

Apparently your own goals aren't motivation enough for you, so I highlighted something that might give you some. If you want a career in clinical psychology as your

I did read your signature. There was no mention of a plan. Psychology is right up there with Communications on the list of majors people take just to get a degree something, so I had to ask.

If you really want it that badly and want to use that psychology degree in a clinical position, you need to learn this stuff inside and out. Grad/Med school is extremely competitive and you need to not only show great aptitude for the field with your grades but also show great interest. No one can give you that. Sorry if you think I'm being negative, but in the real world(and in school), there are plenty of people who hone their skills constantly and don't need external motivation to do it.

Give her a break...she was just venting. I always felt that way at this time of the school year. Venting doesn't mean you aren't taking things seriously, it's just airing frustrations and moving on. She obviously does take school seriously by the way, considering she's not blowing it off to be outside like she wants. And she seems to be working pretty hard at it.

And please refrain from making judgments about people's majors. I was a Psychology major and did it because I love the field, not just for a degree. And before you attack me for not taking life seriously, I did go on to get a masters degree and have been working in my field for 6 years. Even though I felt the exact same way this time of the year. It's amazing how that works.

Give her a break...she was just venting. I always felt that way at this time of the school year. Venting doesn't mean you aren't taking things seriously, it's just airing frustrations and moving on. She obviously does take school seriously by the way, considering she's not blowing it off to be outside like she wants. And she seems to be working pretty hard at it.

And please refrain from making judgments about people's majors. I was a Psychology major and did it because I love the field, not just for a degree. And before you attack me for not taking life seriously, I did go on to get a masters degree and have been working in my field for 6 years. Even though I felt the exact same way this time of the year. It's amazing how that works.

Thank you for this post! It's so frustrating when someone says something like this and refuses to stop being negative.. I wasn't even asking how to keep motivated with my course.. Grr

Yes, you are very negative. You say you're being positive through your injury but it appears you are not as positive as you think you are. I'm sorry the injury happened to you, but you are being rude to the OP.. I agree with everything Daligal said!

And thank you also Blue I can't give either of you more rep as I already did so, but I really appreciate the replies!

• 2 weeks later...

I found one way, which may be useful to others..

Recording the key points and listening to them over and over again xD.. although listening to your own voice constantly can be horrible.. Thats all the revision I'm doing today before my exam.. at 2pm... Eek.. Final exam is on monday, wish me luck!

Archived