The stress of this job is starting to wear on me!

Aries73

I've been on this temp job for more than a year now, working up to 45 hours in a 5-day week and up to 4 additional hours some Saturdays when available. Lately it seems I am simply coming apart mentally. Whenever one of the regulars don't make it in, it seems their work finds its way to me whenever I have my own work to take care of and my mind begins to form up scenarios where that regular decided to duck that workload and saddle me with it (which isn't really possible).

I've also convinced myself that almost everyone in the building is somehow aiming to get me out of my position and replace me with one of their relatives--this stemming from a position I applied for some months before going to the brother of one of the regulars who hadn't been there nearly as long as I--or a cheaper, more malleable non-American. No matter the work I do, I simply cannot shake the fear that someone has fixed it to where I am likely to become frustrated to the point where they can stop my assignment and get me out.

What is worse is that I have no evidence of any kind that points to this kind of conspiracy. Everyone's been as straight with me as I can ask. Outside of being unable to take even a day off without fear of losing money that week, this job's been very good to me. Why then have I driven myself to the point of distraction over something not even there?

I think you might be getting paranoid because you are tired from all the hours. This happened to me at one job and I eventually quit. I got so anxious/paranoid, I thought that everyone hated me and I even thought the company for my leased car was going to sue me for coming in the wrong day to get my oil change! I honestly don't know how to stop it besides getting more rest. That didn't work for me since I was stressed and couldn't sleep but it might work for you, if that truly is the problem.. give it a try.

I would say that being paranoid is a normal response to a hostile environment. This happened to me at several jobs actually, where people would conspire against me. Basically, its what happens when workers are friends outside of work and they sit around and gossip and ***** and complain to each other like hens. Something you did or didn't do at one point upset one of them, and because they are stressed or whatever reason they make your life harder as a form of ammusement. It isn't something that is direclty done either, it is just some passive aggressive game they play to get a reaction in order to make their days more enjoyable.

That being said, i also have had the experience of working some really great jobs where everyone loved me and i literally loved working there and staying late too. If you are good at your job, you can handle any workload and with time and experience the job becomes much easier. It's true some jobs are just hard in general especially if you are doing all kinds of tedious paper work and answering phones and stuff like that. My advice, look for a new job it will only be a matter of time until you decide to quit or you could probably struggle for another year or so hoping you get a position.

My experience is this, if you are a temp and you have been there a year, they probably aren't going to hire you because they are forced to pay the temp agency a set amount of money for that when they can just hire someone without having to pay that fee. Some jobs do take temps on as perm positions and others don't (could be policy, i am not sure). Either way, good luck to you and if you decide to stick it out then my only advice is too be honest with yourself, if shady stuff is going on around you then its probably going on. You aren't there to make friends or be buddy buddy with anyone, as long as you do your job then they shouldn't have any reason to fire you. Hell, if they do fire you i think you could file a law suit against them, for wrongful termination (not sure the policy with your agency thou).

Good luck, hope things get better.

Archived