Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Sandusky Ohio

catcountry

I've wanted to go to Cedar Point for longer than I can remember and now that my daughter is old enough....it's time. I plan to use a campground to keep lodging expences low and we will probably spend 2 day's at Cedar Point but I'd like to know if there are any other suggested sites to see. It's an 11+ hour drive for us so we probably won't make this trip again anytime in the near future so I'd like to do/see as much as I can in the time we will be there. Any suggestions?

Cedar Point is right on the coast of Lake Erie and the Harbor is pretty. There are tons of sail boats and there's a nice restaurant right on the water. You can get there through the park. And if you're camping solely to keep expenses low (maybe you enjoy camping too, idk) but there's a Best Western and an Econolodge five minutes from the park and those are both pretty cheap. As far as other places to see, I can't think of any...Ohio isn't all that interesting. Cedar Point is kind of our highlight.

• 2 weeks later...

Nearby Put-in-Bay is nice. You can google it for info. Basically you can ferry accross the bay to the island, rent bikes for the day, pedal around and see the sites. There are shops and restaurants and a winery, I believe. It's been 30 years since I went there, but I don't think things have changed that much.

Cleveland is about an hour or so east of Sandusky, easy turnpike drive. Lots to do there, you could catch an Indians game, or visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

I have very fond memories of Cedar Point, I went there many times growning up, back when there was only one roller coaster, the Blue Streak. It's still there, along with many other coasters now. Be SURE you ride the millennium Force

Not sure which state you're coming from or how far you want to drive from Sandusky, but google the Ohio Caverns in Bellefontaine which is a couple of hours south, maybe a little more. They are beautiful and well worth the drive.

I live about 40 minutes from Cedar Point. There are many places to stay all around Sandusky. As someone mentioned earlier, Put-in-Bay is a really nice place to visit but its only accessible by Ferry. Since you have young kids, look into staying at the Great Wolf Lodge which is in Sandusky and not far at all from CP. It has a really cool in door water park. It is a little pricey but well worth it if you want to have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Sparkle for the Ohio Caverns suggestion. That kind of thing is right up our alley. Our plans have changed a bit and we won't have as much time in the area as I originally planned but I'm going to check on it anyway. Who knows...maybe the plans will change again. That is the beauty of having time to hash out the possibilities.

I live about 40 minutes from Cedar Point. There are many places to stay all around Sandusky. As someone mentioned earlier, Put-in-Bay is a really nice place to visit but its only accessible by Ferry. Since you have young kids, look into staying at the Great Wolf Lodge which is in Sandusky and not far at all from CP. It has a really cool in door water park. It is a little pricey but well worth it if you want to have a great time.

Thank you for suggestion. The Great Wolf is way out of my price range as a single mom. I ended up using priceline to take the choice out of my hands and I'm very happy with the result. My daughter is a teen now and cares more about the hot tub then the pool. A kid after my own...lol

Archived