Drifting apart from best friend

laboheme

For over 6 years now, we've been best friends. Talking every day, telling each other everything, etc. But in the last 6 months or so, I feel like we've been drifting apart, and I don't know how to fix it. Sure, I understand that nowadays, both of us have stressful jobs and are working long hours, so we can't talk every day like we used to. Still, I can make time to check in with him on a regular basis, and I try to do so. Mind you, I'm not talking about scheduling daily phone dates (we're not phone people anyway) - just a text here and there, or a brief conversation when both of us are online at the same time. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be making a similar effort.

It if makes any difference, we haven't been in the same city for the past 4 years, but we used to do our best to see each other in person every couple of months. I'm not sure if that will continue anymore.

I recently hinted to him that things just aren't the way they used to be. Well, instead of trying to address the problem, what does he do? He throws money at it and gets me an outrageously generous gift card to one of my favorite stores, saying that I'm the best friend in the world and one of the most important people in his life. Sure, that's nice and all, but I don't want the stupid gift card. I want my friend back. And if you don't want to be my friend anymore, at least have the decency to tell me so, instead of trying to buy me off.

I can't even bring it up again because I don't want to seem ungrateful, but seriously, no sum of money can replace a friendship. And I don't know what to do. I have many amazing friends, both from home and in my new city, so it's not like I'm starved for company. Still, feeling like I'm losing my best friend is a lousy feeling indeed.

Thoughts?

Welcome to getting older - your friendship will ebb and flow with how often you hear from or see eachother. It's very normal...especially with work, dating, marriage, kids. You just gotta go with the flow. I know it's hard, and it seems like you're losing them, but you're not. Life happens, and you just have to give each other time to make the effort. Don't stop sending texts, my bestie and I do emails, and my other good bud, we call monthly or so...and we all live in different states. It helps to just remember, it's not you. And schedule in something you can do once a month or every other month - even if they aren't making the inital effort at the moment, they will catch up.

Archived