IUD advice/experiences.

Fudgie

I am looking into getting an IUD. A surgery I'm considering requires me to be off oral birth control months before the surgery and at least half a year afterward.

I always sort of wanted an IUD but was told I couldn't get one cause I haven't had kids. Now with this surgery thing, I can obtain one even though I haven't had kids.

I'm still deciding between a hormonal and non-hormonal one.

I'm in a monogamous relationship, don't use condoms, no STDs, etc. If it matters.

I'm going to talk to my gyno but I wanted some input here

Anyone had one??

-How painful is insertion? How does it compare to a pap smear.

-how long are the strings? Do guys feel them? My bf is good sized but doesn't hit my cervix during sex, I don't believe.

-Do you have to forgo fingering when you have one in?

-how are your periods?

-Is it a good idea to see if I can get pain meds beforehand and have my boyfriend drive me to and from the appointment. He told me he would be happy t

-Is removal painful?

Anyone had one??

-How painful is insertion? How does it compare to a pap smear.

-how long are the strings? Do guys feel them? My bf is good sized but doesn't hit my cervix during sex, I don't believe.

-Do you have to forgo fingering when you have one in?

-how are your periods?

-Is it a good idea to see if I can get pain meds beforehand and have my boyfriend drive me to and from the appointment. He told me he would be happy t

-Is removal painful?

I have a Mirena now (my third and I will get a fourth) and I had a Paraguard before I got the first Mirena.

You CAN have an IUD even if you've never had children. Insertion is a bit painful but they numb your cervix beforehand. Personally, I found the numbing shot more painful than the insertion but you can definitely feel them poke that sucker in there. It is more painful then a pap smear. Pain is really subjective though and some people it doesn't bother, some it really, really hurts. They do the insertion and removal when you're on your period so your cervix is already a bit open. I think the biggest key to it is a couple of Advil before you go and use a doctor that's done a lot of them. Planned Parenthood is excellent. Having your BF drive you to the appointment is a good idea. The numbing shot and insertion can make you a bit dizzy for a little while and your cervix will probably be sore for a couple days.

The strings are pretty long but the doctor will snip them off up inside your vagina to about an inch, inch and a half long. You won't feel them at all unless you go feeling for them which you are supposed to do for the first month or so just to make sure everything is OK. They feel a lot like fishing line and will curl up around your cervix. You BF shouldn't feel them either but sometimes they might poke him. The ends are sharp. If it's a problem, the doctor can cut them off shorter but you don't want to cut them too short. They're there so the IUD can be removed easily. Cut too short, they can slip up inside your cervix and that's a painful removal with forceps digging about in there. Left a bit longer is better.

Finger away and enjoy everything just like you do now. The only warning there is don't grab the strings and pull. ;-) You can still use tampons too with no problems although the cervical cups and caps like a mooncup aren't advised. I do know of a couple ladies that use them with no problems though.

Paraguard (the copper IUD) is non hormonal. One of the common side effects is heavier, longer, more painful periods at first. This tends to settle out and get back to nearly normal in six months or so but Paraguard is not recommended if you have anemia problems or extremely heavy periods. Paraguard is good for ten years and is a cheaper option.

Mirena has a very tiny amount of progesterone (way less than even the mini pill) and one of the common side effects with that one is very light or no periods at all after a few months. Mirena costs more and is good for five years. Except for some light pinkish mucus once or twice a year (in my last year before swapping) I haven't had a period at all in almost fifteen years. It's also recommended if you have heavy or extremely painful periods now.

Removal isn't any more painful than insertion. You can even swap in one go which is what I do. Old one comes out, new one goes in, wait a few minutes and I go home.

A couple other things. It's messy once you have one put in. Expect heavier bleeding and a LOT of mucus for a few days. Once your period is over though that goes away pretty quick. You DO have to be careful about infections. Clean hands and toys always and if you happen to get a yeast infection, treat it right away. Cervical and uterine infections are more common in IUD users because the strings can wick bacteria inside the cervix.

I LOVE mine and wouldn't ever go back to pills or even consider shots or rings.

edit to add: Before IUD, I always had very light periods, 2-3 days max and no cramping. I didn't notice much difference after about four months with the paraguard although I did have a slightly heavier period the entire time I had that one. The first few months though, I had heavy periods lasting a week.

Here you go Fudgie link removed

Lots of experiences there. Like most everything, you'll read a lot of bad experiences since people will complain before they'll post up good stories, but it's a good source of info for all the possible side effects and pros and cons of each IUD type. Might help you make a choice between the two if your doctor says you can have either one but you should ask your doctor which one she would recommend for you too.

I would recommend you go with a Paraguard if you don't have horrible periods. The tiny bit of hormones in the Mirena shouldn't be a problem with your surgery since the hormones aren't systemic and it's such a small amount, but some people have said they gained weight on the Mirena. No chance of that side effect for you with a Paraguard and you know that one won't be a possible hormonal problem.

Yeah the mid level said Mirena isn't a problem with the surgery because the hormones are localized.

I was told that either is fine.

I'm leaning more toward Paraguard because you can leave it in for longer.

My periods aren't that terrible. I'd rather have a heavier period than none because I still would want my uterus to shed its lining every month.

How often do you get infections? I get the very occasional yeast infection but I treat right away. I've never had BV. I meet insurance things very clean down there and wash with special soap.

My concern is ovarian cysts. I went on oral BC to treat mine. They hurt. Nothing I can really do about that anymore.

Sharp strings? Eeeouch. My boyfriend is 6.5-7 inches when erect. You don't think it will be a problem will it? Are their positions I need to avoid?

I love doggy!

Plenty of nulliparous women get IUDs nowadays. I have one. The only reason why they recommend that nulliparous women don't get an IUD is because the rate of expulsion is higher.

The insertion was uncomfortable. They sound the uterus first to make sure it's big enough. That's supposed to be the most painful part, but it was mostly just uncomfortable for me, not painful. You're supposed to do it while you're on your period because your cervix is softer, but I wasn't on my period and I didn't think it was painful. But I had so much anxiety over the whole procedure that I was there 30 minutes afterwards trying not to faint or vomit lol. I didn't get an anesthetic though. I've honestly never heard of anyone getting one.

For the first month, I had a lot of cramping, but after my first period after insertion, I haven't had cramping in between periods. My periods are heavier. I wouldn't suggest getting an IUD if you already have very heavy periods.

Also, I was told that the hormones in Mirena are localized, but then read all of the possible side effects. The hormones are obviously not as localized as much as they would have you believe.

As for the strings, they can always cut them shorter if it's a problem.

Personally I think the paraguard is the better option for you. One, you're still young and you can leave it longer. Two, no hormones at all and with your issues, I'd stay away from Mirena just because of the possible weight gain factor. I haven't gained any weight from it but I have heard of some women complaining about that (5-20 pounds), especially on that link I posted for you. Weight gain is listed as one of the possible uncommon side effects. Three, paraguard is cheaper. I know a girl that looked into both last year from planned parenthood, the paraguard was $500, the Mirena was $900. I paid $800 for my last Mirena almost four years ago. Those fees are all inclusive BTW.

I never get infections. Never even had a yeast infection even. Yeast infections aren't really a problem with an IUD so far as I know. I've never heard of any anyway. You're monogamous so your risk of any infection is very low. The big problem with IUD's is multiple partners because that can set you up for BV and of course STD's. I've never heard of anyone getting any kind of serious infection because they have an IUD. I'm pretty sure they have to put the warnings on there just because having one does increase your risk slightly. I wouldn't even be concerned about it it I were you.

Strings, I've never had a guy complain and I do warn them just in case. The strings aren't stiff and they get coated with mucus so they feel softer anyway. The issue with strings poking seems to be because they're cut too short. It they just barely poke out of the cervix, well, there's a poking risk there. Left about an inch, inch and a half long and they just curl up under the cervix and point up inside the vagina which is the wrong way to poke anything. If they're not too short, it should not be an issue. Since you say your BF never hits your cervix anyway, there's no chance he'll get poked. You can do doggy or anything else you want to. Absolutely no problems at all.

Mirena has been known to cause ovarian cysts. They always go away though and aren't a big deal. I think I've probably had one or two but it never bothered me if it was cysts. I didn't bother to go and get it checked out. At my age, if the plumbing gets wonky, I'm just going to have it all removed anyway. Paraguard though doesn't have that possible side effect as far as I know.

An IUD is a good option for you I think. If your doctor agrees, I'd give it a try. If it doesn't work out for you, you can always have it removed. Once your system settles in though and gets used to having a foreign body stuffed in your uterus, you'll never even know it's there. Complications and side effects are really rare and if one does crop up, it's an easy fix with just removal.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

My GYN seems to think it's a good idea. I wonder if insurance would cover it. I'd get it anyway even if it didn't.

Paraguard seems like the way to go. The fact you can leave it in there for a decade is enough for me. I still get heavy periods once in a great while so I know I can handle them again. I don't want to go months without bleeding anything. That doesn't seem healthy to me.

I'm going to call tomorrow and see about prices and get some further info.

I got a Paraguard in December and love it! Love love love it.

Even when not on the pill by periods had never been too bad, but the two I've had since insertion are definitely heavier and about a day longer with lots of spotting a couple days before and after. I'm sure that'll level out in time, but it's nothing unbearable. I do like using DivaCups, but haven't tried them with an IUD yet because of the risk of accidentally pulling it out.

Insertion was pretty painful and I'm nulliparous. I didn't have any numbing beforehand, you might have to ask for it if you want it. The whole process of sounding the uterus and insertion was maybe 5 minutes, if that. I had to lay down in the room for a bit because I felt nauseous, but it subsided. Definitely schedule the night off work and I'd advise getting some heating pads just in case. They really helped. Two days after insertion I started bleeding a lot, not sure if it was really a period, but it was really surprising the amount of blood there was. I also had pains for about a week. Just be prepared!

For the first month I could still sort of feel it in there, like I was hyper aware of my uterus. That's subsided, except for before my period now. Not sure if that feeling will go away in time or not, but again it's nothing unbearable.

The strings have not been issue, they soften and curl up around the cervix. My ex said that he could feel them, but it wasn't anything uncomfortable. He could just tell they were there.

From what I know, we Americans have a weird relationship with IUDs, while the rest of the world uses them all the time. I think back in the 70s there was one that did cause a lot of problems and IUDs have since then been viewed negatively. So any doctor who says they aren't for nulliparous women is not up to date on their understanding and I'd go to another one.

i have the non-hormonal iud.

Insertion was painfull for me, i took some advil, and was on my period at the time. I actually screamed a bit when the sounding tool was inserted. It was quick though. I also had to lay down for a time in the office after because i felt faint, which is apparently normal if you have never had kids, because you have never had your uterus opened yet.

So it took 6 months for the iud to "settle down" inside. I usually bled for 3 weeks of every month, the bleeding would start at ovulation (lightly) and then get heavier up till my period, my iron stores dropped significant during this time and i became anemic. I had a bit more cramping during this time, and also a different sort of pain that can only be described as a milder version of the pain i felt upon insertion, It feels like the uterus is opening (not like cramps). It is uncomfortable and i still experience it every month, 2 years later.

After 6 months i stopped bleeding everyday. I find my period is normal, but i have more clots than i used too and one day every cycle were my period is really heavy. My ex never felt the string during sex, and i never felt pain during sex.

despite how long it took for my body to accept the IUD, i am glad a got it, beats artificial hormones any day

I've had the Paragard for 2 years. I don't have any issues with it, besides my periods being heavier. For awhile my cramps were bad, but it got better. My boyfriend could feel the strings ( he hasn't said anything in a really long time) but they never hurt him.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but you can watch an insertion video online, it's located on the Paragard website. Sounding the vagina felt uncomfortable but it was manageable. In fact, I asked if that was it after it was over because I was surprised how simple and quick it went.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my IUD now. Insertion was painful but I dealt with it. The cramping was pretty bad.

I began to bleed right away. Sort of weird blood. I could see some tissues pieces.

I was disappointed because when I got home and the cramping went away with meds, I wanted to get it on with my boyfriend. I have limited my sex because I went off the pill a short while ago and I've been craving it.

However, logic prevailed and I'm not doing anything until the bleeding has stopped.

I've felt my strings. They are already soft. I can't wait for them to curl around my cervix.

Archived