Am I being oversensitive about this?

hazelynut

Question... if you have a migraine, your boyfriend starts to initiate sex, you tell him sorry, I have a migraine and feel terrible -- and then he immediately decides to masturbate instead right next to you, would you be upset?

..I have no problem with him masturbating in general, but it felt sort of insensitive of him to "please himself" while I'm lying there feeling like crap. I mean if he wants to masturbate because I'm not in the mood or whatever, or hell if he just wants to, I see no problem with that, but if I can't have sex not because I don't want to, but because I don't feel well... and right next to me WHILE I'm not feeling well... that kind of hurt my feelings. He knows he hurt me (and he felt bad about it) but we haven't really talked about it since I needed to go to sleep (had to get up super early today)... should I bring it up or just drop it?

...you tell him sorry, I have a migraine and feel terrible -- and then he immediately decides to masturbate instead right next to you, would you be upset?

It does seem like he's doing it to get a reaction, and that seems immature. Is he always this crass, or does he ever try to seduce you in a sexy way?

Also, is it good sex? Because I've found that an orgasm can make my migraines go away, and if my husband wanted to make love to me in a more gentle manner, I'd probably be open to it.

I guess just because I felt like he didn't care about me.

Like, when he's sick and not feeling up for sex I cuddle him instead of immediately reaching for my vibrator.

That is your choice.

If he really wanted to get off, masturbation was the only way under those circumstances.

Crass isn't a word I'd ever really use to describe him... he's normally pretty sensitive to me, and yes he does try to seduce me somewhat regularly, so this was kind of a surprise. Definitely not the type of person to do it to get a reaction from me. He's been really stressed out lately, so maybe that's why he felt like he had to get some release...

He's masturbated in front of me before, but it's always been because he'd gotten too sore for anything else to work (too much foreplay). Never because I didn't feel up to having sex.

Crass isn't a word I'd ever really use to describe him... he's normally pretty sensitive to me, and yes he does try to seduce me somewhat regularly, so this was kind of a surprise. Definitely not the type of person to do it to get a reaction from me. He's been really stressed out lately, so maybe that's why he felt like he had to get some release...

He's masturbated in front of me before, but it's always been because he'd gotten too sore for anything else to work (too much foreplay). Never because I didn't feel up to having sex.

Then it seems like you've answered your own question.

If he really wanted to get off, masturbation was the only way under those circumstances.

Listen, be needed to get rid of the sperm so he could focus on you.

I think the question was whether he should have done it in front of her there and then, not whether he should have done it at all.

I don't see what there is to "talk about" here. I can understand being annoyed because you didn't feel well, but thinking his actions were "hurtful" strikes me as pretty self-indulgent. Even more so if you try to have some discussion with him about it later.

Let it go.

I think it was a little insensitive on his part to do it right next to you as you have a migrain - only because to be migrain denotes one of those 'any sound, light, whatever make me sick to my stomach' type of headaches. If my husband did that (right next to me) i wouldn't be happy if I had a migrain. Normal headache wouldn't bother me so much.

Ladies and gentleman I present to you, a man that has a clue!

I understood this.

This whole thing is strange to me. For me, masturbation is a pretty private thing, unless she is somehow involved. I'd never lay in bed with a woman and just masturbate while she reads or sleeps or anythiong else.

Weird.

Maybe I'm weird, but that would have upset me. I don't think it's hurtful per se, but definitely disrespectful. I don't want to see my partner doing that unless it's some kind of foreplay that involves me. I don't care if my partner does it solo, but I don't want to be there for it. Would make me feel awkward. I think he should have gone into another room to do it.

I would have been very upset. You were turning him down not because you wanted to, but because you were feeling ill. At that point, he should have either left and done it elsewhere, or stopped and looked after you. Masturbating right in front of you is like a slap in the face.

Those are my thoughts as well.

At any rate, it bothers you. So ask him to do it in another room next time you don't want to or feel well enough for sex.

I guess just because I felt like he didn't care about me.

Like, when he's sick and not feeling up for sex I cuddle him instead of immediately reaching for my vibrator.

Okay, that's what *you* would do. He is not you. He also cannot read your mind.

I think you know deep down this has nothing to do with whether he cares about you.

This would not have bothered me. I would have been happy that he got what he wanted (release), I got what I wanted (to not have sex) and then we both slept, the end.

I can't believe how many people are being insensitive to her. Regardless of her reason, she was not having sex. To sit there and masturbate beside her is insensitive. There were plenty of times I wanted sex while living with my bf and he didn't. I would go in the other room or wait. He did not need to get off right then. At the very least he could have offered to get her something to make her feel better.

Both people got what they wanted, I don't see why one gets to veto what the other does. If he had pressured you for sex or thrown a hissy fit that would have been a different issue. But this is something he has done before, so I don't see why it is insensitive.

I can't believe how many people are being insensitive to her. Regardless of her reason, she was not having sex. To sit there and masturbate beside her is insensitive. There were plenty of times I wanted sex while living with my bf and he didn't. I would go in the other room or wait. He did not need to get off right then. At the very least he could have offered to get her something to make her feel better.

No one's being insensitive to her. They're just not treating her like a delicate flower because her boyfriend masturbated next to her in bed.

Maybe it's just an age thing. Young people have a tendency of taking themselves way too seriously.

Archived