Too late to start COMPLETELY OVER?

Dougie_D

I'm 31 years old but my life experience and knowledge is still as if I'm 19 years old.

I am just now trying to start a career. I have 2 degrees that mean nothing.

I've taken SO many things for granted.

I'm overweight, etc..

Nothing has seem to progress in my life. My parents still help me financially. I still struggle with a budget.

I've never been in a relationship. Never kissed, etc..

I've coasted my entire life. I want to be able to succeed and do things on my own without knowing that my parents are there for me.

But my fear is...I'm 31. Should I just give up and accept that I'm behind everybody who is close to my age? I need to catch up, but is it too late??

It's never too late. Age is not an excuse to keep on coasting (especially since you acknowledge this is what you tend to do).

First you need to stop perceiving yourself as 'behind everybody' your age. It's not a race, and there's no standard of what you should have 'reached' by now. This is just peer/societal pressure, which is sometimes helpful but misleading.

There's no need to feel like you need a drastic overhaul of your life to make any change; change starts with action.

All you have to do is DO. Make a list of things you want to achieve, and plan/start doing them. It really is as simple as that. The difficult part is sticking to it long term, as in, for the rest of your life... things don't change within a month or two. It takes years of work/dedication.... it's a lifestyle.

Good luck!

The lyrics from Bob Dylan's song ring very true:

The slow one now

Will later be fast

As the present now

Will later be past

The order is

Rapidly fadin'

And the first one now

Will later be last

For the times they are a-changin'.

Life has many twists and turns and people can be up then down then up again. Someone who is doing well now may have it all snatched away from them for whatever reason..and someone who is slow off the mark may suddenly sprint ahead. However, in order to move ahead, you have to actively seek things out, work hard, find opportunities, make changes to your attitude and just put yourself out there.

I was a waitress until just prior to my 30 Bday, then quit my job and got one in my field of choice - retail. It took me another two years to make it to management, but I did it, and I wasnt at all sure that I would. But I had passion for clothing, and it translated into a nice salary, which would allow me to support my daughter when I became a single mum.

You can do it! And it'll be satisfying, once you start trying. Good luck!

I mean, I want to do things correctly. I don't want to backtrack. I quit my job about 2 1/2 years ago and moved to Los Angeles to pursue my dream job. My first year I ended up getting two internships. Because I didn't really need to find a part time job (parents matched my income what I was previously making) I was able to spend A LOT of time at some of these companies. Well, it just happened to be that the one company I spent the most hours at, never had much income or couldn't really hire me. They were a small business at that time. I got a lot of hands on stuff done and they eventually gave me a "title" but the business never really grew. There was only 3 people involved. If I got paid, it was very limited. Anyways I went on a tour for 6 months on the road with one of their artists. We ended up breaking even..again I barely got paid. So now, the company that I interned/"worked" with has completely gone under and I feel stuck.

It's hard man. It's possible for anyone to change. But you can't change tomorrow or today, you have to change right now. I've read many of your threads and your not going to like what I have to say.. but it's all in your own mind at this point. You have been given really good advice on here through-out all your threads. The only constant is your attitude. You ask the same lines of questions that are possible and then you defend yourself and go into self-defeating mode. Your wasting your time at this point. Be the person you want to be, right now. Power of the mind.

I don't remember if you mentioned this in any of your other threads, but have you applied to any larger companies recently? I think the problem with working for small companies is that they can go under like that. A guy I know lost his first job out of college because the company went out of business.

That was my exact thought too.

SWOT Analysis is pretty good tool. Just be honest to yourself and do one for personal/career. Work on the W and ignore the T for now.

Have you use the SWOT Analysis before? I find it useful.

The SWOT Analysis doesn't really help. I know what my strengths and weaknesses are. I want to work for a record label in the A&R dept. But only BIG time record labels actually have A&R Depts. They would have SCOUTS (where I would start off as) A&R Managers (The ones that come up with a deal and pitch it to --) VP/Prs/Sr A&R's who eventually make the call. The Label Presidents don't do all the research.

Now, smaller labels, the Label president is usually the Head A&R and will have 1 or two people involved. There is not a big dept. Also, a lot of the A&R people that get fired/laid off will get hired within the small labels.

So where does that leave me? Landing a SCOUT job with a big record label is my career path, but it's incredibly hard to get. Getting an internship doesn't guarantee a job.

I was an A&R Intern for a smaller label. There were other interns. Technically we were all SCOUTS for this small label. No one was hired...instead the boss man hired an ex A&R scout from Epic records. Eventually the label signed a couple of acts that this bigger A&R guy was involved with at the Major label.

Degrees don't matter much in the music field. I doubt that "Young Jeezy" has a degree. He was just appointed SVP A&R Urban for Atlantic records last week.

I have a Bachelor Degree in University Studies - 3 minors - Mass Communication (radio, television, recording) Liberal Arts ( art, theater ) and Business (marketing, promotions)

I also have an Associates Degree in Video Production w/ a editing certificate.

But I DON'T know how to get there. I can't get an A&R internship at a MAJOR label w/out getting college credit. I don't need to go to school. I just need to gain some credit that I can find bands..but I've been doing that already. I can pitch 100's of bands to labels and they could sign any one of them...but do you think they are going to give me credit? No. You think they are going to hire me? Maybe but they can still easily USE ME.

I bought a DATABASE of All the A&R's. I've reached out to a lot of them, especially labels I like. In the A&R business. CREDIT is more valuable than anything else. It keeps you the JOB.

I just need one of these bigger A&R guys to say "hey, you give us quality music to listen to...we may need you to be part of your staff"

I know for A FACT I'm good at finding talent. When I had my A&R internship at the smaller label, the Prez had to pick 3 bands out of 70 artists we listened to that day. Each person brought 5 artists. So that's an average of 14 interns. There were a total of about 8 meetings. Out of these 8 meetings, the Prez picked one of my artist everytime except twice. I think I had high odds. Even AFTER the internship, I had gave the Prez a couple of artists to check out. These artists went ahead and signed to a different label. Maybe there was an offer, but at least I gave him the name to at least be in the bid.

It seems like you're doing the right things but they are just taking advantage - is there any way you can offer the labels bands on the condition that they give you credit, or will they then just refuse you outright? It sounds like if you're offering all the 'cards in your deck' for free, they'll see no reason to hire you for money.

The label can easily say that one of their Reps found the band. I don't have any previous CREDIT, so it's hard for me to ask straight up for money.

A&R people get paid by POINTS. That's why credit is such a big deal. Getting credit on finding a band is more valuable than money. Most A&R's will actually go to A&R blogs to find music. Or just online in general. It's free research.

for example: link removed or link removed I have and still contribute to those sites.

I feel like I have to keep on giving them bands and one day if an OPENING is available, I might get that phone call. I have to prove to them of my track record.

The label can easily say that one of their Reps found the band. I don't have any previous CREDIT, so it's hard for me to ask straight up for money.

A&R people get paid by POINTS. That's why credit is such a big deal. Getting credit on finding a band is more valuable than money. Most A&R's will actually go to A&R blogs to find music. Or just online in general. It's free research.

for example: link removed or link removed I have and still contribute to those sites.

I feel like I have to keep on giving them bands and one day if an OPENING is available, I might get that phone call. I have to prove to them of my track record.

I honestly think you should consider doing something else within the music business, if this A&R is so difficult as it sounds. It sounds like it could be an impossible field to break into, especially in this current economic climate. I know you don't want to go work at McDonald's, but there's got to be something RELATED in the music business (especially in the marketing and promotions line) that is somewhat interesting.

Archived