Well, this is a 500 year old "Letter to an Ex."

I am taking a history class as a part of a post graduate program. And I happened upon the last letter of Catherine of Aragon to Henry VIII. The simple version is that the British King divorced Catherine to marry someone younger to produce a son. Catherine spent the rest of her life in mourning.

I was sitting the the library alone and the last line really made me sad. Maybe what all we want is to be able to see our beloved again.

My most dear lord, king and husband,

The hour of my death now drawing on, the tender love I owe you forceth me, my case being such, to commend myself to you, and to put you in remembrance with a few words of the health and safeguard of your soul which you ought to prefer before all worldly matters, and before the care and pampering of your body, for the which you have cast me into many calamities and yourself into many troubles. For my part, I pardon you everything, and I wish to devoutly pray God that He will pardon you also. For the rest, I commend unto you our daughter Mary, beseeching you to be a good father unto her, as I have heretofore desired. I entreat you also, on behalf of my maids, to give them marriage portions, which is not much, they being but three. For all my other servants I solicit the wages due them, and a year more, lest they be unprovided for. Lastly, I make this vow, that mine eyes desire you above all things.

If you cared to read about the history link removed

Either that or it was all political maneuvering. Hard for me to get teary eyed over this. She had brains. Cunning.

Wasn't said king known to be a pig to out pig many a pig?!

Thank god we live in the times we do. What else could she have done? She didn't have children, she wasn't worth much. She wasn't fourteen, she was used up crap in those times. All she had was to try and milk what influence she could....even in her dying years...for who she left behind.

Sad.

Archived