anti-depressants affecting sex drive and performance...

cupcake22

I feel like a failure when it comes to sex. I have a decreased libido because of the damn drugs and I can only orgasm like once ever week if I'm lucky. I feel like every other woman has sex all the time and has multiple orgasms. I feel bad about myself because of this Any thoughts?

There are other options you can explore. Tell your doctor what's going on and see if you can be put on a different medication.

Also, it's easy to feel like every other woman in the world is having sex all the time but the reality is probably very different. There are many women out there who have never had an orgasm and don't even know how to have one so count yourself lucky in that respect.

I know I'm male but you're better off than I am. I'm paralyzed and will never feel sex or an orgasm again. So try to find that silver lining in the dark cloud and check into other medicines that won't affect your sex drive.

Good luck!

I'm sorry for what you are going through. It's kind of a catch-22 with depression. Being depressed can cause a lowered sex drive... and taking anti-depressants can cause a lowered sex drive. I feel your pain. My sex drive disappeared a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if it's birth control or the anxiety I've been struggling with, but it's really tough. I've struggled a lot with feeling inadequate because of it... I know it can be tough. I would suggest talking to your doctor about what you've been going through. It's possible that s/he can prescribe you a different anti-depressant that wouldn't be so detrimental to your sex drive.

I'm sorry for what you are going through. It's kind of a catch-22 with depression. Being depressed can cause a lowered sex drive... and taking anti-depressants can cause a lowered sex drive. I feel your pain. My sex drive disappeared a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if it's birth control or the anxiety I've been struggling with, but it's really tough. I've struggled a lot with feeling inadequate because of it... I know it can be tough. I would suggest talking to your doctor about what you've been going through. It's possible that s/he can prescribe you a different anti-depressant that wouldn't be so detrimental to your sex drive.

Agreed. All ADs aren't created equal. Wellbutrin and Cymbalta have less of a dampening effect on the sex drive and Wellbutrin actually seems to boost it.

Archived