Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Credit and Travel

Seraphim

We head out for our holiday next Friday. We plan only on using cash but sometimes things do not go as planned. Credit card companies are now hyper vigilant about false charges on credit cards. My husband got a call about his government credit card that he used out of country to make sure it was him charging the amount. Should we inform the credit card companies we are traveling in case we need to use one?

Definitely! You should also make sure that you have a 4-digit PIN associated to the card.

In some parts of the world, using your bank card to withdrawl money is not always obvious/not all places accept your bank card. So - if something happens (god forbid), a credit card is much, much easier. Also - in some places, only a 4-digit PIN is supported. I've also had to enter a PIN while making a charge to my card!

Credit cards are great when travelling. As you mentionned, there is hyper-protection from the bank and the exchange rates are actually quite reasonable.

I'd even go so far as to say charge cards are the preferred method of payment while abroad...

Yes. It will give you the flexibility in case you don't have enough foreign currency on hand. I did it recently when I was out of the country and it was only a 5 minute call.

Yeah I guess it is wise, it is better than finding out they suspended your card because they can not get in touch with you.

Definitely! You should also make sure that you have a 4-digit PIN associated to the card.

In some parts of the world, using your bank card to withdrawl money is not always obvious/not all places accept your bank card. So - if something happens (god forbid), a credit card is much, much easier. Also - in some places, only a 4-digit PIN is supported. I've also had to enter a PIN while making a charge to my card!

Credit cards are great when travelling. As you mentionned, there is hyper-protection from the bank and the exchange rates are actually quite reasonable.

I'd even go so far as to say charge cards are the preferred method of payment while abroad...

Yes, we have a pin number.

Archived