Going for a Job Interview Today - Excited/Worried

So yesterday I submitted a cover letter + resume for a job around 3pm. At 6pm I received a call for an interview. I was a bit shocked at how quick the response time was... did not expect it AT ALL. So this is great, but I have a few worries...

1) I haven't had enough time to research the company...

2) If I do get the job, they would like someone to start ASAP, but I would need to quit my current job first, and just realized that maybe I am not allowed to just pick up and leave... is there a legal period that I have to wait? Like 2 weeks or something? How do I approach this with senior management and not burn bridges etc..??

3) What worries me even more about #2 is that my current company hired me with long term plans. They wanted me to become proficient in various areas here at work and take over for our Health and Safety supervisor since he will be retiring in a year or 2... and now 4 months later I am just gonna go *poof*... scary.. I think they are gonna be pissed at me, and feel like I was dishonest...

I am excited about the prospects, and don't have a problem with leaving this job I have right now, but the whole process of doing so is worrying me... How do I approach this?? The job I have right now is pretty much my first job aside of part-time jobs I was doing to get through university.. so I don't have experience quitting work etc...

Generally ....there is a notice period amongst various companies......from 2 weeks to 2 months....So you have to first resign....and then serve the notice period. Now the concept about notice period is well known to all companies.......and they understand that the employee can not join them unless and until he has served the notice period.

However there is a catch here.........YOu can buy the notice period...Lets suppose your notice period is of 2 months...then you can serve the company for 1 month and buy the remanining 1 month notice period...which is equivalent to your 1 month salary.........Now generally the employee himself does not buy the notice period....instead the other company buys the notice period....if it is in great need of the service of the employee.............

There is also one advantage of being in notice period....lets suppose....you get an offer letter from one company Y...and you resign from company X....now you can not join company Y before 2 months...........So what you can do now is.............give as many interviews as you can to different companies....and have as many offers as you can get..and later on join the one with the best offer.

But still all such rules vary from country to country..........so it depends...

Oooh... I wonder where rahulrocks is from...

In Canada, this is much different.

1) Overrated. They know who they are. They want to know who you are. It's great if you can ask pertinent questions but don't worry tooooo much.

2) The standard notice period here is 2 weeks notice. This notice period is provincially legislated, so you might want to google your province's laws. But yeah... 2 weeks (sometimes 1 week if you haven't been employed long).

I think it's very highly likely that the other company will realize that you are currently employed and have to give your 2 weeks. "ASAP" usually means they'd like you to give your notice right away and start in 2 weeks.

Don't sweat it, just ask. For the new job (when they offer you the position) "and when would you like me to start? I would like to be able to give my current employer 2 weeks' notice). For the existing job "thank you for the opportunity but I have decided to pursue my career elsewhere (or whatever). My final day will be X"

3) That's the name of the game...

2 weeks notice will be fine. When I interview people and they tell me they can quit that day and be ready to work for me the next it makes me wonder how loyal they are.

Like Redress said, if they ask when you can start tell them you do not want to leave your current employer without proper notice.

Good luck on the interview

Lost

Archived