Loud neighbors

Gracelove

Has anyone ever lived next to someone who has epic fights with their S.O.? If so, how did you handle it? My neighbors are fighting more than ever now. It's not just all hours of the night, but during the day as well. There is lots of screaming ( in another language), door slamming, and other extremely loud, crazy noises. Sometimes is sounds like someone is being body slammed on the floor and accross the walls. It makes it incredibly difficult to sleep as this goes on at 2am or 3am sometimes.

Does anyone know how to handle a situation like this?

The apartment above me does that. They argue, move things, slam doors, stomp, whatever. My roommate and I ignore it. Sad because they do have a child up there -- I don't like the thought of the child being exposed to that sight if so. But at one point, their argument got really loud that my roommate had to call the cops on them, mostly because of the child. But if the fighting gets really, really out of hand, call the cops? Don't leave your name to the cops for who called (they might ask if you want to leave your name too).

I always remember one Christmas Day when we had the police and ambulance outside because the drug dealing * * * * * * * next door had pushed a wardrobe onto his wife. He was a complete psycho.

This is actually a nice neighbourhood. We don't normally have people like that.

Hey There Everyone! Thanks for your replies.

I think the guy speaks only a little bit of English, we say "hi" when we see each other. They have a lot of children living with them. It's just recently that's it's become really bad. I know the father and daughter used to fight a times, but I don't think she lives there anymore.

They have really sweet children. Actually the toddler yells at the top of her lungs almost all of the time. I understand it's what she hears and sees at home. I don't mind hearing a toddler scream, she's a child. However her parents are driving me crazy. The walls are super thin.

I know the guy drinks, I'm assuming he's drinking more. I don't know what it is, but it's pretty bad.

The wife rarely comes outdoors, but the father and children always put on happy faces...well, the children, not so much.

It's just hard when you're sleeping at night and someone slams a door so hard it scares you awake, and then you have to hear all of the screaming that accompanies it.

I kind of don't know how to broach the subject.

At one point he was concerned about the toddler disturbing me, he asked if I heard her yelling. That I got used to, but him screaming...it's just a little too much. Especially since I'm pretty sure someone is getting the crap beaten out of them next door.

He's just yelling a little too much now days, how am I supposed to have a peaceful environment when someone is losing it like that all of the time?

I could tell the landlord, but I don't feel it's something she can control. I can call the police I suppose. Although I'm sure they'll answer the door with big smiles on their faces.

Do you think it would be too invasive if I said, "Oh, is everything okay?" I don't know, that sounds a bit weird. I wonder if there is a way I could let him know they are really loud, in an indirect sort of way.

***Thanks for sharing all of your stories by the way. They make me feel better. ***

If you hear crying or distressed voices especially from the mother (with kids its a he said/she said - they could have fallen, been arguing over a toy), then you call the police non emergency number and say that you didn't want to call 911 but your neighbor has been screaming at his wife and it sounds very violent. You hear things being slammed and you wonder if they can go check without the sirens on to make sure she is okay. mention that they don't speak much english and tell them what language you think that is. Maybe they will send someone blingual. You have a right to peace, and the neighbors have the right not to be beaten if they are.

Police are very good at sorting things out if there are repeated calls and even if there are all smiles - sometimes behaviors or other things give the situation away.

Is Is there a neighbor you are close to that speaks the same language/from the same culture who would be willing to befriend or talk to them?

I would call the police and then make sure you contact Childrens services the next day- each time!

Those poor children deserve to live in a safe environment.

The poor mom must not have the courage to stand up for herself but if you ever get a chance to talk with her alone then you could share a womens abuse hitline number with her.

Please stand up for those children- turning them in may just be the catalyst for them to get help.

It doesn't really matter what they are talking about, it comes down to the simple fact that you have the right to the quiet enjoyment of your home and their noise is denying you that.

Even if they were just loud talkers and had a bad habit of door slamming they are still doing you wrong.

If you live in an apartment building call the manager and make a complaint. Document all the times you hear the yelling/slamming.

You are within your rights to call the police and file a complaint as well.

Call the cops, thats what i do. They will hurry if you report threats or drug use, I am not saying to lie, but i have noticed weed or heard guys yelling dumb things, and the cops have actually bothered to make the effort to check it out when otherwise they wouldnt. At one point the cops wouldnt come anymore, so i had to open up my window to stare them down and tell them to shut up, that did more than what any cop would do (though i dont recommend it). There is nothing more annoying than having your privacy invaded by chatter and bs.

Hey There Guys!!!

Thanks so much for all of your responses!

I actually ended up talking to my neighbor today. I guess the crazy noises are coming from another apartment. Apparently three people have complained about the person who causes them.

My neighbor makes noises when he's returning the favor, when he's frustrated. He'll bang back. I guess he just gets really mad about all the noises she's causing so he gets pissed and starts yelling about it.

I have absolutely no idea what the person making these crazy noises is doing. I had to flee my apartment tonight because it got crazy ridiculous and was non-stop. My floor was vibrating, of course she's slamming doors really loudly. I was so exhausted today, because I wasn't feeling well. Right when I start to drift (which was frequently) she'd slam the door so hard it would scare me awake. Then there are all of these weird beeping noises, and it sounds like she's banging on metal pipes with a wrench.

Tomorrow I'm calling the landlord, and I'm thinking about moving if it doesn't stop. I can't sleep and it's driving me crazy. I shouldn't have to leave my home at 1am because I can't sleep.

This lady is really, really, really strange. He told me other things about her the landlord disclosed and I'm like, why is she here.

It's like she's this crazy evil person. She doesn't speak to anyone, and then she waits until 11pm to start on a crazy one-woman performance where she creates crazy noises all the way into the wee hours of the morning.

I honestly can't take it anymore.

Archived