Time for a Change in School Districts or Career in 40's

Lately I have had a lot of negative things happen in my career of teaching children. I am actually currently a sub teacher and decided to go back to school and receive a master's degree in special education to get out of teaching 24-30 kids in a regular ed. classroom. I sub in a public school urban to inner city district where the kids have many behavior problems in many schools and suffer from mental issues, broken homes, foster homes and out of control behavior at the particular school I have been subbing at. One of the worst in the district. Lately I have been encountering a lot of bad things happening. I don't understand why and I am thinking maybe it is me and I am not cut out to be a teacher. Lately this year, a student stole my cell phone and it was luckily given back by a parent. Then I over heard a student in another classroom (middle school) I was teaching who I think is a new transfer student who is in foster care, spreading an awful untrue rumor that I had DRUGS in my purse. She said it in my classroom and I heard her aloud in front of the classroom while talking to a group of kids in a circle. I was devastated and immediately tried to nip it in the bud by reporting it to a principal before they heard about it. I have been working with kids for 15 years outside of subbing and this was the most depressing and awful harm to my decent reputation of working in the field. I know subs do not get a lot of respect in the classroom but why would a child make up such a horrible untrue rumor about a teacher and me mainly because I do not engage in any type of consumption of illegal drugs. I think she does not like me because i scolded her in the hallway for calling me a name. She has never seen me except for the first time this year. It is irrational the things that she picks to say to me and has never seen me it is like she crazy hateful or does not like me or whatever. I don't understand it and now after all these years I think it maybe time to work in a district with kids that may not have as many issues as inner city kids until I finish grad school. Or should I leave the field all together and find a position that does not have constant drama everyday. I come tired and depressed about 75-80% of the time. Am I in the wrong field and is my guy or should my gut be to GET OUT NOW before I lose my job and ruin my image and reputation I do not think the principal will take it seriously because the adminisrtator likes me as a professional up to this point because. But along with this the kids call me names when I am walking the hall minding my own business and make fun an laugh at me based on my physical appearance to them and i have ignored written up referrals and the torment continues. I can not take it any more nor do I understand it at all. I do not mistreat kids or disrespect them but when they do this it angers me inside and I bottle it up. What can I do to cope with this and not lose my temper. A person can only take but so much. They disrespect teacher's all the time in my school and accuse them of things but as a sub I do not interact with teachers often to really know what is going on? What should I do at this stage in my life? Kids seem to be bad everywhere you go in the public settings too. Will I ever find some peace and happiness in a career. A lot of my friends and colleagues complain and have similar issues but I can't live their lives for them and maybe they cope better or do not get taunted or harassed as they do. I went thru similiar experiences as a child and I feel as though I am repeating this nightmare as an adult. I want out! Please give some lucrative advice. I feel I am too old and have spent too many years working with children to finally decide to leave. I have been enduring this and I hope this kind of behavior of harassment or making up rumors will finally cost me job when i should leave perhaps. You read so many stories in the news of teachers being falsely accused of things sometimes but not all the times.

You sound a bit like you're in over you're head. How long have you been subbing?

Why do you take seriously a rumor a 15 year old tries to spread about you? How did the principal react to you reporting that to him? Was he annoyed? Kids make up stories that are untrue about teachers routinely so I just assumed as a teacher you have to ignore it, not feed into it and react to it. Honestly sounds like you're letting a 15 year old get to you.

Kids are just tough and mean, particularly at that age. I think you need to develop much thicker skin at work if you want to continue in this field.

Also, if your only motivation for doing special ed is smaller class sized, I think you should reconsider. That's WAY tougher and those kids could eat you alive.

No not necessarily letting her get to me just do not want it to get out of hand. I know many subs that have been let go based on something a child SAID and the administration downtown believed it So I have seen rumors cost people their jobss and I don't believe that is something I should take lightly. yes the ignoring part I believe but not to address it would not be good.

U r correct about thicker skin and not letting a kid get to you but these kids are kids only by name "they are treacherous" they vandalize, jump teachers and all sorts so it is not to be taken lightly. But I agree smaller classes are worse and can eat youb alive. Thanks for advice.

I still feel like it needed to be reported or least in writing. You do not think so ? I was told by several friends to put it in writing.

Nah, I wouldn't bother. The principal I'm sure has bigger fish to fry anyway without worrying about getting into a pissing match between a substitute teacher and a 15 year old. What the principal wants is someone who can keep the class in line on their own so he can concentrate on principal business. If you fear for your safety, you probably should transfer, but still I think kids this age are going to be just plain brutal everywhere you go.

True they will be. But you do not have a sense of the climate of the school. Many subs do not even return. Thanks for advice. How would you know are you in education? Well I did report it. Nothing may happen I covered my butt and that is why they trained us to do. I did what was best. You advice is too laid back for me. I some things in writing that need to be. Plus my parents and colleagues advised that I do that. You are the only who felt it was petty. If you taught ever you would see it differently.

Somethings you can control and for the most part I have always controlled a classroom. There is no "piss match" as you so ignorantly put it. Substitute teacher does mean less of a adult of importance in the school setting so you need to go sit down some where. We are not viewed as children in battle with kids. Our principals treats the subs complaints if need be as serious as full-time teacher depending on the sitution. And drug accusation is something that district addresses. OKAY! Peace Mr, Laid back and surfing on beach. It appears as if you have that surfer beach bunny mentality. Must be nice.

True they will be. But you do not have a sense of the climate of the school. Many subs do not even return. Thanks for advice. How would you know are you in education? Well I did report it. Nothing may happen I covered my butt and that is why they trained us to do. I did what was best. You advice is too laid back for me. I some things in writing that need to be. Plus my parents and colleagues advised that I do that. You are the only who felt it was petty. If you taught ever you would see it differently.

I've taught. The way I look at it is, did you have drugs in your purse? No. End of story. Go on about your day. If the principal is crazy enough to take a rumor started by a 15 year old about a sub seriously(insulting to you if they do and naive on their part), then he'll ask you if you had drugs in your purse and you just say 'of course not'. You're basically letting a 15 year old waste your time and the principals time. If you're happy with the way you're handling things, feel free to ignore my opinion.

nevermind.....seek help elsewhere if you don't like this, and why are you so weird in your responses to people? think you just want to have some fun behind your screen and just mess with people, doubt you're serious and i am done replying to you.

and you should read the rules here.............................

When I was a sub I knew that the name of the game was not to involve the principal if I wanted to be asked back again. If I didn't that was another story of course. Fair? I suppose not but it was the reality (and this was in a major city in both good and not so good areas of the city).

Archived