is it possible for a guy to be bisexual?

Hi Sean95. YES, it is possible for a man (or woman) to be bi-sexual. Whoever told you other wise was dead wrong. There was a man named Kinsey who did a lot of research into sex and sexual identity, he came up with a spectrum from 0 to 6 with one end being completely heterosexual and the other completely homosexual. Most people fall in the middle some where. Since then his research has been added to and its been found the sexuality is very complex. I will try and post some resources for you soon.

Unfortunately I think most bisexuals, whether they be male or female, end up pursuing opposite-sex relationships just because it's easier and there's less stigma attached to it. It's even worse for male bisexuals though, as they tend not be regarded as...warmly...as female bisexuals do. A woman can say that she's bi and no one questions it, but if a guy says he's bi everyone just assumes he's secretly gay. It's kind of sad.

Unfortunately I think most bisexuals, whether they be male or female, end up pursuing opposite-sex relationships just because it's easier and there's less stigma attached to it. It's even worse for male bisexuals though, as they tend not be regarded as...warmly...as female bisexuals do. A woman can say that she's bi and no one questions it, but if a guy says he's bi everyone just assumes he's secretly gay. It's kind of sad.

I agree with that partially. I prefer men because they can be easier relationship wise. Most people that know do assume I'm secretly gay, but my wife would be the first to tell them no. I choose to be with a women because I wanted a family with my partner. Not an adoption or genetically on or the other. I love a women's body just as well as a man's. With most men the relationship is easier and takes less work in my opinion. The reasons should be obvious in that most men think alike. It makes communication and understanding more fluid.

I think this is a really interesting subject. I know that there are bisexual men out there, but I've never met any self-proclaimed ones. This topic made me think of some questions that I'd love to hear perspectives on from bisexual men. Here are a few I would be interested in hearing about. Do you identify more with the heterosexual community, LGBT community, or feel separate from both? How have your perspectives/feelings about being bisexual changed as you have gotten older (not as in changed sexuality, but as in changed thoughts and feelings with experience/maturity)? What attributes do you miss most of a man when in a relationship with a woman and vice versa? Just curious.

I don't believe in the spectrum where most fall somewhere in between, I think it is far more likely for someone to be either gay or straight. The list is really long for reasons why someone would say they are bi while they are actually gay. It could be a jumping off point to begin to accept that they are gay. Many men may feel they would be accepted more. It may help in self acceptance, the list goes on and on.

For many young women they perceive it makes them instantly more interesting to say that they are bi while they are actually straight. I think it was Dan Savage who said: "You could say that you are vegan and that makes you interesting, but that is a hell of lot work, it is much easier to say you are bi." Generally boys are going to think you are way more interesting if they think you are bi. There are many other reasons.

Just because someone has had sexual experience with both sexes, or is capable of having sex with both sexes again doesn't make someone bi. It would be like saying that being gay has to do with the things that you do not what you are.

I think it is possible for someone to be bi, but it is relatively rare. It would be impossible to say how rare, just like it is impossible to come up with accurate statistics on gay people. There are a number of guys in our local support group who say that they are bi, what I believe doesn't really change how I treat them, or see them as friends.

Lukeb, you have an interesting perspective on this and I'm honestly very interesting in why you feel this way since it differs so much from my own. My understand of the spectrum is this, if you are able to identify someone of the same gender as attractive you are not exclusively heterosexual, if you have a strong preference for the opposite gender but if your true love was the same gender as you, you could make it work pushes you another number along, if you have equal attraction to both genders you are a 3. Most people will be a 1,2,4,5 and much fewer people will be a 0,3,6.

Do you have any resource to support this perspective or is it more just what you FEEL is right?

These are totally my beliefs, and they are not likely to ever be substantiated scientifically. It is just based on my experiences, the people I have met and gotten to know which is a pretty large sample considering how transient the small city is that I live in.

I have to agree with lukeb. Go to OkCupid and check out how many women within the 19-23 age bracket identify themselves as "bi". I think it's trendy to play loosey-goosy with how you label your sexuality. People call themselves bi when the reality is closer to, "I made out with a girl friend while doing shots at the pub while a circle of guys cheered us on."

This seems to be supported within these forums as well: the "bi" posts I've seen here have really had nothing to do with being bi but rather involve ordinary experiences that, in the OP's mind, are supposedly unique because of their sexual orientation.

Archived