Anyone have a mantra?

So here i am at home posting again. I'm a pizza delivery guy and being in the car SUCKS, when you're this depressed or sad at all. You're stuck in your own head, music doesn't really help considering every song reminds of you of that other person, or its just background noise. trying audio books, but it only helps a little. I'm trying daily affirmations, but I don't really believe myself despite how much I want to. I want personal growth, but now i have to probably drop two of the four of my full time classes because i was so distracted the way my semester started. First she broke up with for the third time this summer, then i get a cancer scare(I'm good). I'm hopefully going to be able to start seeing a therapist next week if i can get an appointment. I don't want to be on meds, but maybe i just need to be for now. I haven't been this depressed since i was in high school, but frankly in high school i never had this much looming over my head. Like I've run out of time. 7 years fora two year degree, pathetic. Living at home..again. Still delivering pizza at 25. I can't stand myself, especially with FB with people i know who now have their PHD's and masters. I've never considered suicide, but I don't see the point to anything anymore. If the end of the world is coming...just get it over with.

Stlewis,

Depression is hard for most people to understand (unless they've been through it). I can only tell you what worked for me. A year ago (like you, I was 25 at the time), I stepped into an Anusara Yoga studio for the first time. Like you, I was in such a low state that I didn't see the point of living life (I was never suicidal though), so, I sucked it up, looked past the stigma of that comes along with yoga as a 25 year old male athlete and gave it a shot (I was at my wits end).

I don't know how it worked or what exactly was working in there... but after practicing consistently (3-4 times a week) at that studio for only a few months, I became happier and happier. I can't tell you how or why... but it was working (the why really isn't important to me). Yoga gave me a means to relocate happiness in my life again. Again, It's very hard for me to explain how, but in the end, I found happiness within. I'm not saying that you have to go do Yoga to find meaning in your life, but what I am saying is that its worth trying something new.

This mantra sums up what I'm talking about:

If you keep doing what you are doing, then you will keep getting what you are getting.

Here's another one along the same lines...

"It's better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"

But the best mantra I can give you is my favorite quote of all time.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi

You said the following "I can't stand myself" I know how this goes and my heart goes out to you. It's going to sound a lot easier said than done, but one way out of the depression is... you've got to find a way to be cool in your own skin. That means accept yourself, forgive yourself, and ultimately love yourself.

Don't give up. You can get past it.

The Heartless Bastards:

"Hold your head high, just as high as you can. Things'll work out soon, things'll come round again"

Great song. I sing it loudly in my car when I'm feeling down.

I also sometimes tell myself "Don't you f****** quit on me, b****!!!" (In a loving way, of course. )

What got me up out of serious depression three months ago was a simple mantra:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, etc ...

Pretty soon I was seeing and remembering and recognising lots of things to be thankful for.

DD

Archived