Anyone get any advice on self motivating and persevering.

I'm studying an Open University degree as well as working, playing a sport in a team and being in a relationship which takes up some of my personal time, as well as friends, family etc.

Anyone got any advice on making sure I stay motivated, on how to really apply myself etc?

I know I want it and I want to be a teacher. I know its going to take me 5/6 years to achieve that as I'm taking it at a slower pace as to fit in with my current lifestyle an working etc.

I'm a person that if I apply myself I do well. But I find it hard to concentrate and to motivate myself sometimes.

different things can help - you might try writing down a list of long term goals. Or have a "dream board" where you have pictures that represent what you want. that might be a picture of a teacher teaching a class, etc... whatever else you want to achieve. every class homework assignment you complete gets you one step closer to your goal.

I'm working full time (50+ hours/week), studying for a post-grad, volleyball,friends, family, gym and I live on my own. For me, it's about using the right tools and maintaining discipline. I highly recommend the new Outlook 2010. The calendar and task manager are really efficient. As for the discipline, before I have to do what I need to do I remind myself why I'm doing it. I have a spreadsheet sectioned off with the tabs for each goal in life: career, education, sports, gym. Each tab has goals, tracking and quotes to keep me motivated and I review this daily. It might sound like an overkill to some, but its what works for me. I like getting the most out of my days. If you want some more tips PM me.

I'm working full time (50+ hours/week), studying for a post-grad, volleyball,friends, family, gym and I live on my own. For me, it's about using the right tools and maintaining discipline. I highly recommend the new Outlook 2010. The calendar and task manager are really efficient. As for the discipline, before I have to do what I need to do I remind myself why I'm doing it. I have a spreadsheet sectioned off with the tabs for each goal in life: career, education, sports, gym. Each tab has goals, tracking and quotes to keep me motivated and I review this daily. It might sound like an overkill to some, but its what works for me. I like getting the most out of my days. If you want some more tips PM me.

Kudos to you for being so organised, its not overkill at all.

It's tricky for me balancing everything and finding the time to sit down and focus, I know I need to get my priorities correct.

schedules are really good!

I used a system where I had a calendar with 21 slots on it - each day was broken up into morning, afternoon and evening. Some of the slots were filled up easily (ie, classes, required meetings, dance classes, gym) and then I was able to schedule time to study or read or whatever. I would do something like that or the Outlook idea.

To do lists also help me - but prioritized in a manner of "what needs to be done tonight before I go to bed, what needs to be done by tomorrow, what needs to be done by the weekend, what needs to be done by the next 6 months, etc..." some things are more urgent than others. for example, if you have a homework assignment due tomorrow, and you have another one due the day after, work on the one that is due tomorrow first, even if it is harder and you'd rather do the other, more fun assignment.

• 3 months later...

I agree, separate long term and short term goals. Set priorities to get what you need to get done and when. I also separate life events and tackle them one at a time. It's always easier to see things as achievable when it's not a ginormous do-list (a whole) but rather one thing to finish at a time. When you get one thing done it naturally motivates you to keep going. Well works for me anyway!

Archived