Why suicide

Basically they decide they no longer want to live. Maybe they're in a really bad situation and can't see a way of getting out of it, maybe they hate themselves so much that they no longer want to live with themselves, or maybe they think its better for other people if they went.

There are a lot of reasons people have to take their life. Not saying it's the way to go, definatly not, but I think people need to understand the reasons and accept that they exist before we can really address the problem.

Be glad you have never experienced the bone-crushing, heart-wrenching, soul-sucking depression that would lead a person to think taking their own life is a solution.

If someone feels that way, then no matter what happens in their lives they see it through a very dark veil. Any happiness feels very transitory, fleeting and false. Some people just have the sheer bad luck to have a lot of negative things happen to them in a short amount of time. Couple that with a brain that's chemically pre-disposed to a more downbeat personality and you've got an environment where suicial thoughts and actions are possible.

Amplify all that with a person's age. If a person has lived only, say, 16 or 17 years, one year seems like a longer time than someone who's lived 40 years. A year of a 16-year-old's life is 1/16th of the total....for a 40 year old it's only 1/40th. No matter what has happened to them, someone who's 16 or 17 hasn't had the number of life experiences that an older person has. Those life experiences, particularly getting through various crises, tends to give one perspective. No matter what's happened, it will pass. Life is very cyclic -- things get better, things get worse, then they get better again. If you've only lived through the down part of the cycle, it's difficult - if not impossible - to see that things do change.

I'm not saying that people my age don't get depressed and/or suicidal. I just think they've got more tools to deal with it than some of the teens I see posting on the board. F'rinstance - I can go to a dr. or a shrink without consulting anyone...I have health insurance that will pay for it. When I was in my teens, to get to a dr., I'd have to go through my parents first, and THAT just wasn't gonna happen.

Nope, wouldn't go back to being in my teens or 20's again. No way, no how. Too much angst, too much stress, too much general crap. Looking back at it, I can see it was a combination of unbalanced brain chemistry, raging hormones, a few bad breaks, too much fear, a lack of perspective, and a lack of life experiences.

My 2 cents,

~s2s

well u r very lucky if u have never felt that way.. because i think about it at least once a day.. sometimes killing yourself seems like the only option.. because when your depressed your mind closes off right options.. it actually makes u think depressing things.. thats why depression is so hard to get over.. u have to take control back and be stonger than u ever have been..ive wanted to kill myself because i really see no point in life.. we live and die go threw heartbreak death love pain.. for what..nothing..i just think life is stupid.. the only reason im here is because of friends.. if i didnt have them i woudlnt be here.. im 100% sure.. there would be no point.. cuz then id have nohting..if u have any more qusetions u can ask mee=)

every thing in life isn't suger cookies and moon beams there are those among us who know . why would someone want to die well maybe there pain is to great . would you blam a man if he had to kill his dog out of mresy same go's for pepole yhea its a quick fix that dosen't do anything but alot of harm . but its there choise to do so . its called free will .

choise we make well they may not allways be the best . i have got real close a few time so close i could feel hevens door . and yhea god will forgive if you ask . but life is not all it seems for me knowing what i know .

i don't think most of you will understand this . so i say live for the moment or that moment may be lost forever. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

im going to ask you two things have you ever been hated by someone not just them sayin it but you knowing that they truly truly hate you?And,have you ever hated someone not just you saying it but truly truly hating them? Now take that pain that you feel when you think of being hurt by that person that hates you and take the pain that that person that you hate feels and multiply it by about 500 times and try to imagine thinking about that pain and feeling that pain all the time.What would you do?

Its a hard concept for some to understand when they are happy.

But when u feel really down (like i have during this last year), u begin to understand why. Its a way out. Its really sad. I hope my life doesnt get worse cause im already struggling and my life is easy compared to a lot. I don't know how i would cope if things in my life got worse, cause im already really sad these days and i couldn't commit suicide for several reasons:

1) The thought that things could change and u could become happy

2) Family and friends

3) Im scared of dieing

I'm sure there's a point in your life when you feel down. It's part of being happy. Try to remember and maintain that feeling. Relive the experience, grab hold of it. Start amplifying the feelng, expand it, intensify it. You were down, but you're really down now. You were really down, but you're extremely down now. You were extremely down, but you're gravely down now. You were gravely down, but you're dreadfully down now. You feel like hurting yourself, yet? If not, keep on expanding that feeling, intensify it, and don't stop. Just keep on going. Keep on going until you can see nothing, hear no reasons, or hear anything for that matter. Keep going until you don't know what the hell you're doing anymore. Keep on going until you reach a point where you feel completely senseless. Keep going until you reach the point where you feel like you're standing between madness and sanity. Keep on going until you reach the point where you feel like you're dying and you're conscious enough to feel every bit of pain, yet, lives on to feel that pain. Keep on going until you feel the need to bang your fists against your head, hoping one pain would annul the other. Keep on going until you get so aggravated by the feeling that anybody asking anything of you tingles your nerves irritably. You see now? If you still don't, just keep on intensifying that feeling. Eventually, you'll see why people want to hurt themselves or kill themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Why kill yourself?

Theres plenty of reasons why. The world is getting worse and worse. This supposed 'good times' that we live in is just a clean white sheet over the worst bedwet stain you can imagine. Except, theres nothing you can do, it just gets bigger. Are you actually hopeful about this world becoming a better place? Sure, the advent of quick communication and eNotAlone are life savers to some, but for those of us who see that even the best of the world has to offer, its still not enough. Whats worse is that you know you can never find someone to share your feelings of doom and gloom with. IF anyone has seen Donnie Darko...

Here i am, 21, close to 22, and im sitting home on a Saturday night while everyone i know is out. I feel alone. And i should be. I never get invited anywhere. and sadly, if i think about it more...Its been this way as long as i can remember. Me being alone online or doing hw or watching dvds by myself is not a way to grow up. I realize how stupid i am socially, yet i'm very nice, and have alot in common with other people, i can hold a conversation, i compliment, i have a personality, i have manners, i even think about the people who have been left out and make sure theyre doing something. i have a degree of charms. And yet i hear about parties, or going out on daytrips and other places that most of my friends, even the most lonely of them, seem to get involved in. I'm never told about it. I find out days later when friend a and friend b talk about it in front of me.

A girlfriend doesnt help. After spending 3 years getting to know your best friend, and thinking she's just right for me, i ask her out. She turns into a lazy bum. She goes out and has fun, and when i want to do things, she just wants to do things with just me at home. Doesn't hang out with me with groups of people, just me, by ourselves. I grew bored of her, she has nothing interesting about her (except 36DD's and nice poetry). I eventually gave up on her, or so i decided upon it on the night she ditched me to hang out with my friends. The next day as a birthday gift, gave her the nicest birthday gift i could give her, a 'c'est la vie, have a nice life' and threw her lovely photo on her doorstep. A year of me being a gentleman to her, ended up a year with no pictures of her and me because she was 'camera shy'

Then came the daunting depressing task of starting to look for another girl, hopefully one who has interesting aspects (not physical). And you realize your campus is DRY. There are no decent girls - they all have nasty peircings, tattoos, and praise their god: the cell phone. The few that are decent are either a) lesbien b) taken or c) married. Every girl in between seem to be taken also. Where do you go?

Then you're diagnosed with narcolepsy. You want to be socially active, but you're worried about falling asleep. You take many classes, you get A's , but studying is all you can do now. On top of that Cataplexy! YOu crack a joke, or reparte, and you find yourself weak kneed and covering up your reaction. Hopefully no one noticed. Someone is mean to you, you fear starting a fight, because cataplexy will make your punches weaker than a computer science dork's punch. So there goes going to bars, which you just turn legal for.

Now, after all this, try having your dad lose his job. Your parents are poor begin with, now the breadwinner no longer takes home bread. You of course, are working part time, and going to school. Barely making ends meet for yourself, wishing you could do more...if only taht damn narcolepsy didn't debilitate you! On top of that , your 'friends' hold parties more often now, and this time they PICK the times you're working, so you can never show up. And worse, you'r invited.

Then try to compete with your friends, they get nice paid internships that they do nothing in, and get paid 5 grand. You get an internship too...but you have to pay 1600, you learn nothing, you struggle to keep awake, you come home depressed, and your car starts to die from driving 50 miles each way. Your frineds have just bought new jettas, eclipses, hyundais. They don't have to worry about mommy and daddy having money. You wonder which bike will hold up long enough to get you to school which is 30 miles away.

You commute, your friends are able to go to school far far away. Each fall you're alone again, naturally. You have the urge to move far far away, say, Idaho and live in a small town the rest of your life. You can't afford it. You can't mentally afford it as well. Nevermind how you'r gonna work when you fall asleep on the job, to which Walmart sounds like a viable answer.

Church, all the supposed 'christian girls' you hope to go out with are all multiple time sluhts, they're baptized though, you'r not. The thought knowing if everyone died in that room taht same instant, they'd still go to heaven and you won't. Even though you can't think of many bad things compared to them.

Im going to cut off right here, but i can keep going. To the point: IF you have incredibly bad luck, see no way out, see no hope in anything, even God, (exception is maybe his Wrath), then you have a viable reason to die. I mean, what else can you do? Your pawn can't move in any direction, theres a checkmate in each path. You look for an ejection seat, but you'r too scared to die. Whenever my parents hear about suicide and stuff, they babble on how its a coward way of doing things, and 'they're just messed up' . I tend to sympathize with those who want to die. They're the only people whom i can look in the eye and say 'i hope your dream comes true.'

im tired, goodnight. lets pray for Co2 in my room.