Terrified of seeing the other woman in public

Cilantro

Since I found out my husband cheated on me with his ex (I found out just before we married), I'm terrified walking into stores, restaurants, ect, because I'm scared I'll run into her somewhere. I've never met her and have only seen lots of pictures of her. I'm positive I could pick her out on the street. The only problem is that I don't want to. We live in a small town and I just feel like I'm bound to run into her. I can't sit in a restaurant without looking at every table. I scan stores I'm in to see her face. I'm not even doing it on purpose. I just do it instinctively now. I haven't told my husband I have this fear of running into her. I don't even know if she'd recognize me. Though I've seen pictures of her, I'm not sure she's ever seen pictures of me or could pick me out. But even still, I keep plaguing myself with these thoughts of seeing her and playing scenarios over in my head.

I don't know how to overcome these thoughts.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really isn't much you can do. You live in a small town and you don't plan on moving.

You have chosen to stick with this man, so this comes with the territory.

Why are you so afraid of running into her? Its not like she can tell you anything you don't already know.

No it's not that I'm worried about what I'll find out from her. I don't really know what I'd expect if I did run into her. I suspect I'd want to hit her but wouldn't. Or not say anything at all. I guess just seeing her in public, I fear, would make it feel too real for me.

well i guess this is kind of like a break up, you have anger inside of you and you dont want to see her for the fear of getting mad right?best thing you can do is dont go to to many places. heal from the pain and it will get easier when the anger gos away u might not even care if u see her. at the end u have your men dont forget that

That's not helpful

It's my advice. If this is how your marriage feels to you, then maybe it's not the right marriage for you to be in.

How long are you willing to live like this? Ten years? Twenty? Have you tried individual and couples' counseling?

It's my advice. If this is how your marriage feels to you, then maybe it's not the right marriage for you to be in.

You said "You shouldn't have married him." It's a little late for that now. We're trying to work it out and are in counseling. But bad thoughts still creep up

You said "You shouldn't have married him." It's a little late for that now. We're trying to work it out and are in counseling. But bad thoughts still creep up

It's not too late for that. You have the right to leave the marriage if it isn't working for you.

He cheated on you, you tried to work it out anyway. If it turns out that you can't get past his infidelity (which is understandable), then you have the right to leave.

No it's not that I'm worried about what I'll find out from her. I don't really know what I'd expect if I did run into her. I suspect I'd want to hit her but wouldn't. Or not say anything at all. I guess just seeing her in public, I fear, would make it feel too real for me.

Why on EARTH would you want to hit -her-? Why don't you hit HIM? He's the one who knew he was getting married, and did it, anyhow. How is it HER fault?

Why on EARTH would you want to hit -her-? Why don't you hit HIM? He's the one who knew he was getting married, and did it, anyhow. How is it HER fault?

I did hit him. I punched him a lot. He recently admitted he's scared of me because of the way I react.

She knew he was getting married. She was cheating on her husband with my husband. She's not a good person. I know she's not to blame for my husband's infidelity. I just have thoughts.

I did hit him. I punched him a lot. He recently admitted he's scared of me because of the way I react.

She knew he was getting married. She was cheating on her husband with my husband. She's not a good person. I know she's not to blame for my husband's infidelity. I just have thoughts.

What about this marriage is worth it to you?

It was not too late when you created a thread about him cheating before you got married, and about 30 different people were telling you to call off, or at least delay, they wedding. It's not too late to separate now. But you chose to marry a cheater so this is the consequence of that.

It wasn't as easy as many people wanted to make it out to be

So what's done is done. Many people advised you not to marry him or at least wait to marry him, but you chose to take this path, and now you're experiencing the consequences.

What sort of help are you looking for? I'm not being sarcastic; honestly, what can I (we) help you with? I can't offer sympathy or support your decision, but I'd like to know what else you're looking for.

Archived