Have you ever done volunteer work?

Messiah

People often give the advice, "Go volunteer" so you can live your life more positively, but how many of you have actually volunteered, and if so, what did you do, what organization did you work for, and would you call it a positive or negative experience?

I was in the Big Brother/Big Sister's program for a few months, but it was kind of bad. I ended up getting paired up with a kid who was trying to work me for money/items/toys. The people at the organization actually warned me when I went into it, that kids trying to work the volunteers for stuff was a BIG problem in the area and gave me signs to lookout for. And I ended up having to tell the organization and felt kind of awful, like I gave up on the kid. I feel like I could have lectured her, or taught her to do better, but I felt a little overwhelmed, like I couldn't un-teach bad behavior.

I've worked with the Veteran's Hospital in my hometown, reading to the elderly there. I used to work at a nursing home and before I got hired there I used to go in and volunteer and just hang out with the residents there. It was definitely a positive experience, although it gets to be sad sometime because you get attached to some residents and then they pass away.

I also worked at my local animal shelter. I love dogs so I used to take them on walks. It was definitely a positive experience as well, but can get sad too for obvious reasons.

I'd say do volunteer work for something you're truly passionate about. I absolutely LOVE reptiles and enjoy owning them as well as teaching others about them, caring for them and continually educating myself about them. I'm currently doing volunteer work for a Herp society in southern cali and I couldn't be happier. I've been with them for a few months now and they said they will hire me at the end of the year because of my dedication. I also will be able to go to reptile expos to help educate the public and I get free food and supplies to care for the animals I have. I'd say it was all worth it. Very positive experience considering this is a serious passion of mine.

Only volunteer for something that interests you and that you are knowledgeable about. That will make the experience worthwhile for you. Don't just do anything because some places will take advantage of you easily. Ask lots of questions to get an overall understanding of the voluteer work and how it will play out for you.

Until we meet again...

I volunteered in high school a lot with the elderly and with kids. I liked it. I looked into volunteering in the city I live in.. I REALLY wanted to volunteer in a hospital for sick children and thought it would be a great experience since I love kids and would love to cheer them up.. but they weren't looking for volunteers! I was shocked. I even tried to volunteer at an after school club for kids and they didn't need any volunteers either. While I'm glad that there's a surplus of volunteers in my city, I was still a bit disappointed it couldn't have worked out. Volunteering is an awesome experience.

I've volunteered with animal rescues and loved it.

I agree that you should only do something you feel passionate about. I'm not a kid person at all so id never volunteer to help children bc my heart wouldn't be in it. Do what your heart is in bc it definitely is more rewarding that way.

It's interesting to get your take on Big Brothers/Big Sisters, because in fact that's one volunteer organization I have been considering, as I've worked with kids in a volunteer capacity before (loosely, in after school programs). What you say doesn't surprise me.

The way I see working with youth-at-risk is that the whole reason you're there mentoring them is because they're already troubled. The behavior you describe is typical of a disturbed child who has not been taught to value themselves or others. I do not believe you can't "un-teach bad behavior" when a child is still in very formative and impressionable years. Your "job" is to be there as a force for modeling something better. You're not going to get an instant attitude make-over -- it took many years for these kids to learn these behaviors, so it'll take time to make a different kind of impression on them. You wouldn't be a mentor and they wouldn't be in this program if everything was a-okay with them. Playing people is pretty common. In the after-school program I worked with in my community, many of these kids would make fun of things about me, say very insolent things and test me at every turn (all pretty typical) and I felt it was good assertiveness training for ME, in the process! I think it's a long-range proposition to create a bond with a child who is acting out. Some kids will not reform, but I personally (and this is my idealistic streak) choose to believe that no one's hopeless at these ages (even as adults one never knows, but it's a lot more solidified then.)

It's definitely not for everyone, though. It can burn you out. I think it's great you gave it a shot.

Perhaps you'd like to work with kids who are likely not to have behavioral problems, such as at a hospital where they are critically ill, or with Shriner's Hospital, where they have various physical disabilities, or with a program as a respite care-giver for parents whose kids have cancer. These might be a better fit for you.

Or, you might volunteer with literacy or Head Start programs (for very young children, around pre-school age), where education is the emphasis. There's Americorps and link removed (helping older kids graduate from high school when they're challenged).

Or, if you like the elderly, hospice work, senior's centers or homes. I've done hospice work and it was extremely rewarding. Hospice isn't just elderly though -- it's anyone who is terminally ill, so that includes a whole range of ages and it's really important to be able to work with the concepts around death with comfort for this. You find families in their most vulnerable time with loved ones, and it's a portal into all the most intense emotions, but that's why I've found it an enormous growing experience.

I agree with the poster who said you should volunteer where your heart takes you. I don't think you have to know a ton about the subject, but if you feel the cause calling you, then that's good enough. You learn the ropes as you go along. There are so many programs out there, if you feel that tutoring and mentoring is your first love, but you can also do so much with helping people with jobs skills training, building houses (Habitat for Humanity comes to mind), homelessness/shelters, and women's shelters. With the cutbacks on educational programs, after school programs are usually wanting.

I wouldn't give up on it. I think volunteering is one of the best ways to increase you skills working with people of various backgrounds, and it takes you out of your own little world of problems. Honestly, if I were a doctor, I'd prescribe volunteer work to every one of my patients to increase their mental health and feeling of accomplishment.

I volunteered at an elderly home when I was in middle school. I just kept residents company, played games with them or whatever. I didn't mind. I volunteered at a cat shelter and it was both good and bad. Good because I love taking care of the animals, but bad because I felt the conditions of the shelter were not healthy. There were too many animals for the house they were kept in; it was poorly ventilated, small early 20th century house, and the cat litter dusted the little rooms. Many of the animals developed respiration problems, and the rooms needed to be cleaned several times a day.

Messiah, that sucks with the Big Brother/Sister program... even if you are a volunteer, you're not responsible for "fixing" the kids. Maybe if you had a child who was genuinely interested in having an older companion for a day of play it'd be a better experience.

I am a volunteer for my city's vegetarian society, and I do a lot of different things. A week from Saturday, we're having a vegan bake sale that I'll be working. We have guest speakers several times a year so I help set up those events. I table at health fairs. Whatever needs doing! I like being part of an organization because there's always something different to do My mom fosters puppies from animal services, so I've kind of gotten sucked into that was well. It's a lot of work, but I always have someone to cuddle with ;_;

I volunteered with Habitat for Humanity and the local animal shelter. Both were easy to talk to (I called them and asked about volunteering) and arrange for hours.

Habitat was a lot of fun. I roped a few friends into working, too, so we all had a blast. I worked on about 4-5 houses in my area. I did anything from helping pour concrete footings for a foundation to building the frame of the house. They also had us do clean up work and some demolitions on a property they were clearing for a new house site. It was a lot of fun, the work is pretty physical, but there are always people around to help and builders that know what they're doing, so questions are encouraged. I wish I could work with the again, but I'm not physically up to work any more

The animal shelter was hard, I wanted to take everyone home with me! For them I did cage cleaning, dog walking, bathing, brushing, and lots of loving. They always have animals that need attention, especially with the economy, people are giving up the pets they can't afford. The director at my shelter is a wonderful woman and I've always enjoyed working for her, she's very appreciative of the volunteers and is happy to see us when we're there.

I've just volunteered for hospital radio. I'm starting off going round the wards, collecting requests and talking to people for a few months. Then after that, I'll get trained in the production side for a few months. Then finally, I'll be trained on how to do my own show! Also, because of my IT/techie background, I'll be helping with their PCs, servers etc

I'm really looking forward to it. They are a nice, friendly bunch of people.

i volunteered at the local youth group my daughter goes to, it only runs from october to march so is finished now, but i will be going back when it starts again. i also have an application to be a befriender for a charity called cornerstone. being a befriender is pretty much self-explanitory, you befriend a vulnerable person in the community, and spend time with them like you would any other friend, go for a walk, coffee, cinema etc.

I've volunteered with the Red Cross as a CPR instructor. I enjoyed that a lot because typically I haven't worked with adults as a volunteer. Now I do mostly things with kids. Junior Achievement where I teach in the classrooms. Guardian ad Litem where I go into court and advocate for abused and neglected kids. I did the Cub Scouts for several years too.

It can be a lot of work as some people mention. But if you really are passionate about something you can truly make a difference in people's lives. Pick something you think you'll enjoy though. The stuff I do now I really love and it makes the hours seem not so bad when you love what you do. If you get into it and you don't like it then you can always go do something else. That's the nice part about volunteering. You aren't depending on it for a career so if it's not rewarding for you then you stop doing it.

I have volunteered with Samaritans (suicide hotline), at a group home for adults with substance abuse issues, at shelters, in community gardens, at a theater, in a soup kitchen, and at various art events.

I definitely agree with those saying that it is much more beneficial to do something that you love to do. I didn't love all of those things, and I saw the difference in my commitment.

I did a lot years ago when I was younger and single for various organizations. A good friend of mine recently created a non-profit organization to do various bike demo's for youth groups so I'm helping his organization in that area as well. It's definitely rewarding not to mention we both are pretty passionate about the sport so it's a bonus while influencing young people in a positive direction. Although when I have more time I'd like to help out in other areas as well.

I have been doing volunteer work with a Genealogical Society for just over two years now. Basically i volunteer at the genealogical library and help people with their family research. It can be quite interesting and in a way rewarding when you have some luck or find something interesting about someone whom your helping. I agree though, if you do volunteer work, it needs to be in an area you are interested in.

Archived