Marriage leading to a longer, happier life? Not so much.

Blue Spiral

My parents have been married for over forty years.

And I'm not saying "Don't try." I'm saying, "Don't try in a context that could possibly hurt you in non-emotional ways (finances, etc.) if it doesn't work out. You can try in a safer context."

Well we all choose to risk something....it just depends on your tolerance for risk and desire for the payoffs.

It's not for everyone, and if you value your money more than you value having one lifelong partner (no sarcasm meant, it's a legitimate choice), then marriage isn't for you.

In my view, it can be related to the stock market. If you only invest in Blue Chip, your returns are more assured, but lower. But if you want big returns, you have to be prepared to take big risks. For me, given the longevity of my relationship, and what it adds to my life, I'd risk 10x my total financial assets for a chance at this...but I too have seen people financially ruined for entering into the wrong partnerships without enough safeguards (i.e. prenups). Again, it wasn't about the fact THAT they married, it was WHO they chose to marry, and in some cases, HOW they behaved themselves within their marriage.

If a marriage fails, it does tend to do so spectacularly, but its success can be likewise spectacular....but you have to want that enough for the risk to be worthwhile.

Archived