About to bomb my GPA... 2 options

So I decided to take some classes that were way beyond me at my uni and it was an awful idea, I got super sick last week and now I'm even way more behind. But regardless, there's a high probability I'll probably fail 2 out of my 4 classes, and then get maybe a C in the others if I am lucky. This will bring my GPA way down (its at like a 2.9 now). I'll probably be on academic probation, but it doesn't really matter right now cause I have no clue what I'm doing with my life anyways.

So I don't know if its really worth sticking with it, or just dropping out before I have to drop my GPA so low and then if I decide to come back to a uni later I'll have to work super hard to pull myself out. I already bought my books and I can't return them so I feel like I'd have wasted $500 and I don't really want that, but if its a smarter decision to just drop out now I guess I should.

Also, I have been really wanting to not deal with a 4 year grad program, I just want to not have to go to class (I am not a school person - being in class literally does not benefit me because I am unable to pay attention to anything while in class). So are there any recommendations for quick community college programs where I can just start some sort of profession in like a year or two and have some money? Like... just 20k/year would be nice.

1. consult your program and find out if you can drop the classes. if you need instructor permission, ask for it.

2. if you can't drop, switch to pass/no pass grading.

3. if you manage to drop it, sell the books back. you'll take a hit of course, but better than nothing.

4. if none of these options work, then study really hard!!!! go to office hours, meet with the professor and TAs, hire a tutor if necessary.

If you know these courses are not going to go better, then I would suggest you get out of them as quickly as you can. You're out the money for the books, but if you can get back the money for the classes, DO IT! That's a LOT of money in tuition right there, you can use it for something better than a cound Cs and a couple Ds. You need As and Bs in this point in your career. You should be ablet o administratively drop your classes righ tnow and get near-full refunds.

Your books, you migh tbe able to sell to new students next semester, depending on how well your networking/ebay skills are and how widley used those specific editions are - and pray they don't go to a new edition next fall!

If you're not at a point in your life where you can focus on school and you have no idea what you want to do with your life, I'm going to be honest: spending thousands on a college degree is not going to change ANYTHING!! Particularly in this economy! The Pro-Collegeites will be sure to through their stones, but I've been there I know the territory...

If you want to try to stick it out at college (and I recommend this) you can retake classes you've failed; the new grade will replace the old one. However, if you are having trouble concentration you may have a learning disability or ADHD or similar; for this I recommend (a) seeing a doctor and (b) talking with a counselor, dean, etc. and letting them know. A lot of colleges have programs to help people who are having trouble with their courses; it's in their best interest to see as many students as possible succeed, so they should want to help you.

Now, some colleges and some counselors don't care, or at least appear not to. Try others and you might be able to find what you need. Keep working at it and you have a good chance of getting the assistance you may require, and your degree - any degree - can be helpful in a lot of fields.

All that said, you can simply hold down jobs without a degree; a lot of people do. If you're handy, try construction or other trades work (though you might want to go to a vocational school for some of them, and these are much more practical-oriented, so the classes may be easier for you to deal with). Talk to the admissions people and see if they have a screening test to find out where your aptitudes lie, and be sure to tell them about your classroom learning challenges. They, too, are interested in making sure you can succeed in their program.

In short, there are a lot of resources out there. In the end you can work retail or flip burgers, and there's no shame in that, but you can do more if you're willing to push for it. Good luck, don't let a few setbacks weigh you down, and smile at your interviewers!

Light and laughter,

SongCoyote

I have a scholarship that covers my tuition at the uni, but I am not in a program; I'm undeclared. My biggest concern is once I have to stop going because my grades get too low, when I want to come back to Uni later because I'll know what I'll want to do my GPA will be demolished already.

And in reference to the ADHD thing, I'm not really sure what to do about that. I've been prescribed adderall before, but it makes me LESS attentive and more anxious, but it makes me want to be social and makes me really want to do things like play instruments and stuff. But it definitely doesn't help me study or listen.

I've been thinking a trade with a focused program where I'm learning to do something in particular where I can apply my knowledge directly (i.e. installation, maintenance, etc.) would be a good place for me to start to at least make some money, I just feel like I'm wasting time sitting in classes learning about things I don't care about that I'm going to forget.

Archived