I have been thinking of proposing to my girlfriend, and was thinking the best time would be when I move back to the city she is in next month. I have been in another city far away for about 6 months now. We dated for 4 years, were broken up for 1 year, got back together and have been together for about 9 months now.

My girlfriend has been working in a jewelry store and I was able to go into her work and meet her coworkers around Thanksgiving time. She pointed out a ring that she liked and I had that image stuck in my head. Then she told me over the phone about another ring she really liked and always checks to see if someone has bought it. I have never seen it and don't know the product number, so I can't go into another location (it's a national chain) and find out what it looks like. Over the holidays, I was in her city and I was educating myself on rings and diamonds. I saw two rings which were similar to the first ring she showed me. One place, I found a really nice diamond and the ring would be custom with a platinum setting... I know both would be more than what the ones she mentioned would cost (she wouldn't want me to spend much)...

Am I obligated to buy from the store that she works at and the ring that she has mentioned? I remember her mentioning that she hasn't really seen much else, other than what is in her store. I've seen pictures of rings she liked a few months ago. She even mentioned that she'd love anything from the jewelry store that I had been thinking of getting the custom ring in (it is a really nice store). She's mentioned she likes 3-stone rings and that I better be taking notes, jokingly, when we were driving to a restaurant last week. I had always thought of picking the ring out myself, but I've met all of her coworkers and am afraid someone would spill the beans or I'd have a ticking clock on me. I feel like I'd get better quality with the custom one I had been looking at doing, but I am super analytical and overthink things and probably have researched stuff more than I should have. Any opinions on this matter? Thanks!

I think you should get her the ring that you like and hopefully she will love it too. I would make sure that the store has a liberal return policy and then when I gave her the ring, I would tell her that she can have another ring if she would rather. So basically pick out something you think she'll like and try not to be too upset if she prefers something else. I wish you luck. You sound like a great guy and you can never learn too much about something you are going to spend a lot of cash to buy!

Thank you for your replies everyone, I appreciate it!

I had gone to a store in my city and the sales lady said that my gf would probably want me to buy from the store my gf works at so they get credit and that's probably the ring she wants, which made me doubt everything, but the lady was half-listening to me anyways. If I get it elsewhere, I'll probably get looks from my gf's coworkers, but oh well. Maybe we'll look at bands there.

Archived