HELP!! keep getting fired!! why..?

dogwood

OH my god. She just replied, and told me she forwarded my email to the police and apparently what I said could be chargable under Canadian law. Jesus. I am an idiot - did not expect this. I just replied apologizing and begging for her not to hurt my chance at this new job. Sigh... lesson learned for when to keep mouth shut.[/QUOT

I am sorry to hear that. Let's hope they are lenient.

Well, sometimes they can't tell you the 'why'

Sometimes, it's a case of not being able to afford you, which is something they can't have people gossiping about. It's also January, worst time of year for retail and a lot of restaurant type industries. You could have been hired just to cover the busy season, and now that things have died down....well, last to come, first to go.

I would have phrased it differently. Something like. "I respect your decision, but would it be possible to get some feedback on my performance and areas needing improvement so I can learn from this experience?"

You also just shot yourself in the foot for a decent reference if the firing had nothing to do with your job performance.

And no. Employers do not need to provide a reason. They need to give you reasonable notice, as provided in employment law, or pay in lieu. But they do not have to give a reason.

Employers are always exposed to wrongful dismissal claims all the same. It's kind of messed up. You don't need a reason, but you can be sued- at which time, you may be asked to provide one. However, the fired employee also has a duty to mitigate their damages (read: try to find another job), so if reasonable notice/lieu pay was given, severance (for companies with over 50 employees) and the employee was able to find employment within a reasonable time, then the damages are effectively eliminated.

That's my understanding of the law in my part of Canada anyway.

Edit to add: "You're not the right fit" IS a reason. You have to work well and fit in with your team. If you make other uncomfortable, or don't get along you don't 'fit', if your attitude on the job, doesn't coincide with the company's mission to provide a specific level or type of service (whether you deem it necessary or not), then you don't 'fit'

Truth is, if you don't 'fit' chances are, you won't be happy there.

I doubt very much the police will do anything. If all you threatened was to tell people you think she has a bad management style, then that's your opinion, and you are free to it. If you threatened to accuse her or the company of unethical or illegal behaviour, then they might have a case, but again, you need to be in a position to actually DO damage. Unless your next job is as a food critic or something, I don't see that happening.

Don't sweat it, but learn from it. Employers DO have a way of conveying negative things without actually saying anything they aren't allowed to say. Bad-mouthing previous employers doesn't work well. "It wasn't a good fit" is much more PC.

I am just trying to understand the logistics. She said she forwarded it to the police and the government body and that if one negative statement is linked back to me I will be charged. What 'file' is this exactly and who can see it? I just want to know if my new employer has any way of finding this evidence or if you think it will be kept quiet? If they have my SIN number can they see it? Or is that unrelated.

OH my god. She just replied, and told me she forwarded my email to the police and apparently what I said could be chargable under Canadian law. Jesus. I am an idiot - did not expect this. I just replied apologizing and begging for her not to hurt my chance at this new job. Sigh... lesson learned for when to keep mouth shut.

I'm not a legal professional, and not qualified to give legal advice, but unless you've threatened to physically harm someone there's most likely nothing anyone can do as expressing your opinion about a business is a basic freedom of speech. Now, if you were to actually spread some false or negative info and the business were able to prove that the info has caused them a loss they could have probably filed a civil case against you. My advice to you would be to email your ex-manager, apologize for your negative comments and move on with your life.

@ DRL. True, I said I would spread bad word but I haven't actually done it. Yeah, I already apologized. I'm just paranoid that my new employers will somehow hear about this. But I guess all I can do is hope it blows over and life goes on. Lesson learned.

i have no idea what she will do. the best you can do is keep your cool and apologize to the starbucks boss if they do contact you. in the future, i would recommend you cool down before sending your boss (or ex boss) an email and remember that anything you write can be kept forever.

Archived