I feel stuck in this dead end........

Jaydedgirl

I am 24 years old and I feel my life is not the way i wanted it to be. I thought by now ill have my own apartment and car but none of that is gonna happen anytime soon. I work as a receptionist and i dont earn that well,i live with my parents. My parents drive me insane...i dont have a car and i have to wait for them to drive me to the mall or gym. Its so annoying coz most of the time they say no or make an excuse not to take me.. I feel like a looser coz most girls my age have their own car and are getting their apartments where i am still stuck in square one. I was going to put in a deposit for a car but my mum told me i shouldnt get one im like * * * ? Im 24 not 12! I have no friends either so im stuck at home with my parents every weekend.... and when i do go to the mall with my mum,she rushes and i feel like im running a marathon in the mall when i go with her. Sometimes id rather much go alone. I have tried to get other jobs and im still studying part time,its very hard to get a good job here. So i have to save and make do with what i have for now. I am frustrated and annoyed and most of the time i feel like im drifting away with the wind.

Getting your own car might be the best way to start since it would make living at home more tolerable... sit down and figure out what your after-tax earnings are per month, and what necessities you have to purchase (gym, health insurance, groceries?, etc. New stuff at the mall is usually a DESIRE not a necessity). Then figure out how much you could afford in car payments, gas, insurance, maintenance per month. Don't forget about licensing and registration fees.

If you want to afford rent sometime soon or if you don't have great credit then it would make sense to save up and pay a larger portion of costs upfront, maybe even save up to buy a certified used car in cash. (But never tell the dealer you intend to purchase in cash until last possible moment, they count on making money from financing schemes).

You can do it.. free rent from your parents is a generous gift and you're lucky to be able to devote almost all of your salary to saving up for a car.

Cheers.

Archived