Diet and excercise work because of calories. Diets are their to lower your calorie intake, excerise is there to burn calories, they work hand in hand to losing weight.

If al you did was diet, you may see some results, but after awhile your metabolism would have gone down, so it would be even harder to lose weight.

Excersie helps increase metaboslism. Also, the more overweigth you are, the easier it is to burn calories as it takes more work for you to do the same things a more fit person could.

I know I've read somewhere, that losing 2 pounds a week is healthy. Anymore would be quesionable(though do-able). In most adults, this could be acomplished by lowering your normal calorie intake by 500, and burning 500 calories. But this was a thing suggested for adults, as their bodies have basically adjusted to what they will be.

Rant

------------------

I wanted to lose weight this summer. At least 10 pounds in June, and ten pounds in July. Seemed easy at first. But i was goign an unhealthy route. I would eat at 6pm and 12am for like 5 days straight. Other than that water to drink(though i have been only drinking water at home for like a year now, 'cept for the occasional fast food). I would try for at least 30mins on the tred mill(old manual one). Pop a movie in, most i've sene so it was kinda of boring. I lost around 1/1.5 pounds a day. By the end of those 5 days I was down maybe 7 pounds from when I started. But i was also tired. So I thoguht i would try and maintain this weight for awhile before trying to lose weight again.

That lasted over a month. I didn't exactly lose one pound in June. i thought i was entering it with a 7 point lead with 3 points to go, but nothing. Then July came. And about sometimes last week I finally had it in me to lose some weight, though I would not try what i did again.

What i did was at night, turn the radio and just excercise, but with weights as well. But I am limited to 5 pounds in each hand. I was again able to lose weight. And once I had dropped more than 7 pounds, insomnia hit me. I was like "Great!" if I goto sleep on this, I will be lighter tomorrow(I usually lose 2-4 pounds in my sleep) and it will be the lightest I've been in over 2 years. but I couldn't sleep that night. And then thanks to that I didn't really lose weight, but gained. but I still tried the excersie thing. But 5 pounds in each hand is limiting. Cause i think now my body is used to it and I need more resitance, yet have no access to anymore. Right now I weigh about 4 more than i did that night. And it sucks that i was that low, and couldn't maintain it. But I'm trying. Still under the "cap" i reached" when i was under the unhealthy diet and excercise, but just barely.

Well that's my story. I'm currently 10 pounds lighter than I was the last day of school and that almost 2 months ago. Not much, probably if I maintained this no one would notice, but I know i will be getting new pants as my current ones are too big, and have been for a few months.(it was like in April that I notcied my pants falling down, but I figured I could last a few more weeks with them.) Maybe the first time that I'm actually going smaller than bigger or the same.

i now weigh at 30 less than I did when I got my first physical back in August '03. But I must note I lost 15 pounds in two weeks before school started. I know I shoudln't have weighed as much as I did when I got weighed at the doctor's, and it was actually easy to lose that 15 without much effort. But then I hit like a "barrier", which seems to arrive every 5 pounds. It's easy to play with the pounds in the middle, but once i get to a "5" or a "0" my weigth lost seems to stop, and maybe I gain a poud or two, until one day I'm magically under that and happy again, and motivated, until again, I'm stuck at a 5 or 0 for a couple of nights in a row. Suffice to say, it tooks months to brake those barriers.

But i'm glad that i might in fact walk into to school the first day of junior year weighing less than I did freshman year. Hopefully 20 or more pounds less.

------------------

Good luck. But don't try to go an unhealthy route, you can hurt yourself and those that may love you.

edited my rant.

Hello Dragonslayer,

Losing weight requires a huge amount of dedication and commitment. After all, it didn't just pop up, it was put on during a course of time, and now its going to have to come off during a course of time. Remember though, it may seem awfully hard at first, but if stay commited and keep at it it will get easier. The hardest lap is ALWAYS The first lap, so if you get through that you'll get through all of it. Things only get easier.

Atkins diet is God sent in my opinion. If we can't diet that and lose so much weight at the same time, then i don't know what will. So fill up your fridge with protien and no carbs. By day 3 you shouldn't be craving for carb foods anyway so you'll it gets easier.

Now on the second day of the diet its time to burn the fat on your body that is now being used as your single energy source.

Exercise!

Running is the most effective excercise you can do. I play football ('soccer' in the USA) daily so im always running. If i don't one day, then i go running for half an hour/ an hour. The most effective time to run is early in the morning as soon as you have woken up. You will burn off energy on your body rather then energy you have taken in during the day. If runnings too boring for you, then start excercise videos daily. Don't forget target exercising, where you can perform specific excercises that target areas of the body with fat, this maybe stomach, hips, thighs etc.

Also go swimming at least once a week to tone you up.

In addition, take advatage of your current state and start doing some weights. You'll build loads of muscle on the way. While your at it start using a punching bag.

As for the food and drink, Atkins will have you sorted. But also remember to drink at least 2 litres of water a day, and no other drink. Eat your most takings during breakfast, and try not to take second offerings. Only eat until you are hungry, not when your completely filled up. Try eating out of a blue plate because this will help you eat less. And don't eat after maximum 9pm, minimum 7pm, because not a lot of burning takes place here.

The diet and exercise can start to become less effective, especially after 2 weeks. You will lose the most weight at the start of the Atkins diet, the can be said with exercise, so thats where most the work need to be done. Due to the metabolism and not over-doing myself and my body, i take a few days break when the weight losing slows down. I eat a medium amount of carbs and the only exercise i do is cycling and football. Sometimes by switching, i find im actually 'losing weight' again when i do this.

However this break should only be a for a few days. When you start the diet all over again, it will be a new start, so the same amount of effort will be required, but as always you will lose the most weight again during this start.

Dude when you start to see the differences in a matter of days, i guarentee you cannot prevent a HUGE smile growing accross your face. And by the time you finish, you will look at the result of a hard work and dedication, and you will feel unique and SERIOUSLY proud of who you are.

Motivation is a huge mental thing when it comes to excersing and diets. Running especially and the first few days of the diet. I love playing football, so my motivation for running is not a problem. If there is a lack, i try to picture the white, goo-ey, slimey fat that is hibernating right under my skin, and that its self motivates me to get up and do anything possible to get the disgusting thing off. As for the diet, write up a checklist of what your allowed and not allowed to eat and do e.g no cheating (pinching tiny amounts of carb) or must eat out of a blue plate, and try to pull all ticks on the checklist. Do it daily and eventually you won't need checklist anymore.

Thats my regime. It requires hard work. Good luck, if you feel like your over doing it, don't hesitate to take a break. 8) 8) 8)

I agree with Vfunkera, except about the Atkins diet part. For most of us, the Atkins diet is just not practical, especially for a 15 year old who still lives under his parents roof. The reason I say this, is because there is no way that a guy your age, unless your parents are very understanding and relatively wealthy, can maintain a high-protein, low-carb diet. It is simply too expensive and very inconvenient. I can't imagine your mom agreeing to shop for special foods or to prepare special meals for you every night, especially when most of our families eat foods from boxes (or mainly processed food, which is the biggest enemy of the Atkins). Also, I can almost promise you that if you consult your doctor, he'll tell you that at your age, you should still be eating from the 4 Food Groups:

1. Meat and protein.

2. **Breads and pastas.**

3. Dairy.

4. Fruits and vegetables.

Because you are not even fully developed yet physically, I would advise consulting your doctor before you begin a low-carb diet. Someone your age is relatively physically active and still needs those energy-ridden carbs for your brain to work in school. Just be careful is all I'm saying.

It really depends on how much weight you want to lose, your body type, level of activity, and what types of foods you have available to you. My mom is a personal trainer, so I've kind of grown up with some very good eating habits and a very active lifestyle. Because of this, I've been lucky and stayed thin. If you haven't, sometimes it's much harder and you can stay overweight for your whole life.

I think it's good that you're asking at 15, since you're still young enough to lose some weight, change your habits and keep it off for good!! Try to keep your health in mind at your age, it's very important!

Agreed, people your age are still growing and it would be unhealthy.

The next best thing in terms of dieting then is to examine what you eat and how much of it you eat. Healthy eating means making sure theres a balance in what you eat.

Eat carbs before you exercise. After exercising and gym (if of course you do) eat protien. If you don't plan on exercising, then make sure your carbs intake is low, so that unneccesary weight is not gained.

Exercise does twice as much work as diet, perhaps even more. That should be the key. Good luck, .

Oh and water, you must drink water dude .

Im just considering starting to use the Atkins diet, i havent really spoken with my parent about it, mainly cause i feel imbariced and im not sure how he will take it.

My main problem is getting acess to the sorts of foods required. As far as fitness and exercise go, im sorted for that. I decided to readup on the atkins diet, aswell as take some advice, and it seemes to suit me. I have been a "fussy" eater, but im ready to change.

If anyone has some tips or useful hints etc please let me know, im ready to change and this is the ideal time for it.

Help appreciated , thanks!

I HIGHLY recommend the hacker's diet at fourmilab.to/hackdiet/hackdietf.html

One pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories. To burn off one pound of fat in say two weeks, you must simply reduce your daily calorie intake by (3500 / 14) = 250 calories.

In essense, it's about how much extra you're eating.

There is no fast way to diet, but let's say you cut down by eating the equivalent of ~250 calories less per day, that's about a mcdonalds cheeseburger per day. That would let you lose 26 pounds in 365 days.

The key is, of course, to then rebalance your diet so that you eat exactly as much as you burn once you reach an ideal weight so as not to bounce back. Refer to the link for details.

-HappyFunnyFoo

The low carb trend, spearheaded by the infamous Atkins diet, is one of the worst travesties to ever hit the American dieter. Here's an overview, and a link for more info: link removed

The Controversy Over Dr. Atkins' Health

By Neal Barnard, M.D.

The Atkins diet phenomenon has spread like a virus accross North America, Europe, and elsewhere. It has convinced millions of people to buy into two dangerous notions: that avoiding carbohydrates is the key to weight loss, and that high-fat, high-cholesterol foods pose essentially no risk.

Serious health problems and deaths have occurred in individuals following the diet. For example, the Southern Medical Journal reported the case of a sixteen-year-old Missouri girl who died while following a low-carbohydrate diet. In the report, her physicians described the ways the diet may have contributed to the disordered cardiac rhythm that killed her. Jody Gorran of Delray Beach, Florida, went on the diet, only to find that his cholesterol level skyrocketed. He developed chest pain and needed urgent heart surgery. And in 2001, the American Heart Association issued a warning that low-carbohydrate diets are likely to contribute to heart and kidney disease.

The principal spokesperson for the diet was Robert C. Atkins himself, the controversial doctor whose 1972 book described how carbohydrate avoidance cured his own weight problem. In subsequent years and even after his death, the Atkins organization has used details of Dr. Atkins' health condition as a key part of its marketing strategy. As the Wall Street Journal put it, "Throughout his life, Dr. Atkins was the public face of the eating plan he espoused and often spoke publicly about his own eating habits and health."

Dr. Atkins discussed his medical history in media interviews, and Atkins Nutritionals posted details of his cardiac history on its Web site. In particular, it described his cardiomyopathy—a diseased heart muscle that he attributed to a viral infection—as well as a cardiac arrest that apparently occurred as a result.

The Atkins site also described tests of Dr. Atkins' coronary arteries, saying he had an angiogram at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in April 2001 that showed normal coronary arteries.

Why was the Atkins company providing so much personal detail about Dr. Atkins' medical status? Because doctors and health organizations have cautioned Atkins dieters that high-fat, high-cholesterol foods can lead to heart disease. In the intense marketing of commercial diet products, Atkins and his company have tried to convince dieters to set those concerns aside.

In a statement on April 25, 2002, Dr. Atkins' personal physician said this about Dr. Atkins: "Clearly, his own nutritional protocols have left him, at the age of 71, with an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system." In other words, not only was Dr. Atkins in great health, dieters were told, but his diet—which he had followed for decades—could take the credit for it.

Recently, a physician sent PCRM a copy of some medical examiner's notes related to Dr. Atkins' death. This physician, who is not a member of PCRM, obtained the notes from the New York City Medical Examiner's Office. The notes were not a hospital chart nor an autopsy—Mrs. Atkins had apparently declined to have an autopsy done. The medical examiner had simply noted Atkins' weight at the time of his death, inspected his external surfaces, and noted a few aspects of his history. However, some notes suggested that Dr. Atkins had heart problems that went beyond the viral cardiomyopathy to which he had admitted.

Reporters picked up on the story; they wondered whether the Atkins organization had distorted Atkins' health profile in order to make the diet appear safe. Although PCRM had not requested or received the report from the medical examiner, we became the principal media contact about it.

Then, on Tuesday, February 10, 2004, Mrs. Atkins released a statement clarifying details about her husband's health. She confirmed that, in fact, he did have coronary artery disease. In particular, she said that Dr. Atkins "…did have some progression of his coronary artery disease in the last three years of his life including some new blockage of a secondary artery that was remedied during this admission…." Artery blockages of this type are typically caused by high-fat, high-cholesterol diets, smoking, and other lifestyle factors.

It must be emphasized that it is always a matter of concern when elements of an individual's medical history become a matter for public discussion. In this case, the Atkins company—and Dr. Atkins himself—made a major issue of his health and exploited his seemingly robust cardiac status as a means of allaying fears about the fatty diet he espoused.

Many health authorities have been shocked and greatly troubled by the spread of the Atkins phenomenon. People around the world have been lulled into complacency about cardiovascular health. Disregarding cautions about saturated fat and cholesterol, they are digging into steaks, pork chops, and cheese and shying away from fruits, legumes, and whole grains, with little regard for their long-term health. It is disturbing that Dr. Atkins may have been less than honest with the public in such a way as to spread a message that many doctors and health organizations say is dangerous.

In the public discussion of this issue, we wish to underscore that no hospital or clinical medical records were obtained, discussed, or publicized and that no autopsy was performed on Dr. Atkins. The new revelations consist only of brief notes from an external inspection of Atkins' body by the medical examiner, followed by new revelations by his widow. Our only goal in discussing these issues is to curtail a major public health threat.

If the new revelations about Dr. Atkins' cardiac problems end the charade that fatty, high-cholesterol foods can give us an "extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system" and have no health consequences—and if the emergence of the truth can prevent further deaths and illnesses—then the public health may have been served at last.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, excersise is three times as powerful in losing weight as a diet. No excercise simply means no weight lost.

Diet is just supporter along the way . I personally do Atkins for a few weeks because from the second day onwards (minus the excercise) i lose weight like candy, and also because i feel more fresh and good about myself.

I don't recommend the diet for teenagers. Teenagers need only excercise.

An Atkins diet puts you at a risk for a lot of things. It's really an unhealthy diet, and I suggest you do some intense research on it. People have actually died from it, and Atkins himself was at an appallingly high weight when he died, with a history of heart problems (the Company has tried to cover all this up). This whole low-carb fad is just that: another fad. Unfortunately, consumers looking for a "quick fix" have fallen for it, at the risk of their health. Meanwhile, the money rolls in for companies advertising these stupid, dangerous diets.

I'm a vegetarian, too! I didn't even know it was possible to do a vegetarian Atkins diet. My God, you must be starving to death! I figured out that diets in general are not for me. I have a very healthy appetite and really enjoy eating. They say the best way to lose weight is to have six small meals a day because that keeps your metabolism going, plus exercise regularly, which also keeps your metabolism at a high rate.

I've been exercising steadily for a month now, haven't changed my eating habits at all, and have lost four pounds. That doesn't sound like much, but I've added more muscle, which is higher in density, and gives a thinner, toned look. I have a ways to go to reach my personal goals, but the fact is, I'm getting healthier, stronger, and I'm not having to starve myself and feel deprived to do it. I'm more than happy to take the patient route here, because ANYTHING truly good and lasting never happens overnight.

Please don't get me wrong im not promoting, defending or criticising for that matter the Atkins diet!!!

I personally carry it out for a week or two a month before resuming back to normal eating. What it does for me is makes me feel good about myself, stops me craving for hunger (no sugar 8) ), and loses weight off me like a evaportaing water (especially when im exercising, since im burning off my body fat, not the carbs that i've been eating in the day). Im on it at the moment, and the only thing i pay for is the groceries and 2 litre bottle of water i buy from Wal-mart. Im not preaching about it, there are loads of diets out there for everyone like calorie control, small meals, healthy food (including 'good' carbs like fruits and grain); Atkins is just the only that is helpful in my busy schedule, and actually works for me.

But once again, this is a small matter compared to exercising. Losing weight is no quick fix, and Atkins diet is no quick fix. You can go on the diet and soon as you come off it your wieght starts piling on again. It took time to get that weight on you that easily, but its gonna take hard work in a long period of time via exercising to take it back off.

If i was a vegeterian i would personally avoid the diet completely. Scout's diet sounds much more healthier.

Hey vFunk...good post...I just feel, based on what I know about the nutritional value of it, that the long-term affects of an Atkins diet can really be dangerous. You touch on an interesting point - it helps you deal with hunger cravings. That's what derails anyone on a diet. The cravings are dreadful. I really like to eat, and I just don't do well with any kind of diet because there are always certain restrictions. So, I finally gave up and gave in to the exercise bug - and of course, all the fitness nuts were right all along! It really, really works to exercise, and your body doesn't just lose weight, it changes and you actually see definition in your muscles, you have more strength/stamina, and just a much better sense of self.

Of course, it's hard to start exercising and sticking to the routine, because most of us are impatient, we want to see quick results, and so we tend to waaaay over-do it when we first start exercising. Gotta avoid that pitfall.

No doubt there are health risks there, i'll never preach Atkins long-term, i don't even do it myself. Relying on your body fat as energy is the aim of the diet, but the problem is that no energy is coming in either, and for the average person, that is very dangerous. After a month on it, i felt weak and dizzy, and quite simply i had to stop for the concern of my mind and body. Thats also one reason why i only do it for a few weeks before stopping. I am worried though about cancer that dragonslayer pointed out, i never knew that.

lol, the cravings i know. They are killers, especially when i stand outside Subway, ouch . Im play quarter-professional soccer, and have done modelling ( ), so fitness is a big one for me. Motivation to do it (exercise) is really hard to maintain or even start, but once you get into it it shouldn't be much of a problem. The first hurdle is always the hardest, and that is a fact in everything life has to offer (except video-games ). Once the work starts paying off, you should be so proud of yourself, and confidence/self-esteem must hit the roof.

I have to say no one is more impatient then me . Exercise should be something that gradually becomes a part of our lives. Its like the gym, you don't go in there and lift the heaviest thing, you start off small and then begin to hit limits. If you go into exercise thinking 10 laps everyday should make me fit, you'll probably stop before its even warmed up!

• 2 years later...

hiiii, its really gud to lose extra be coz itz d cause of many other problems.I had lost 10lbs in 2wks. I am now at around 18 lbs. Acc. to me doet pills are the effective way to lose weight, diet pills eliminate you hunger and force your body to burn the extra fat and help you to reduce fat in a healthy way for more types of diet pills.....

Most diet pills are not good for you.

The best way to lose weight and keep it off is by eliminating white bread, pasta and rice from your diet. Only eat 100% whole wheat bread (you can check the label to be sure), whole wheat pasta, and brown rice.

It is also very, very healthy.

Eating a lot of protein as the Atkins diet advises can be done.

Just not the way they lay it all out; it's ridiculous. Fatty red meat and all that crap are killers. And your body needs carbohydrates as fuel. But you can eat better carbohydrates your body needs like whole grain wheat (no white.) An example of an ideal meal would be broiled chicken, a salad, and brown rice or something like that. The problem is that it's not particularly nice to some people's palates. That's where non-fat seasonings and such comes in hand. Chicken marinated in low fat calorie free (or close to) italian dressing is awesome. Salad with fat free dressing is also awesome. With cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, etc, etc. Add a ton of vegetables for flavor, variety, and color. Just eat a lot of vegetables and LEAN protein; chicken, turkey, etc. Beef can be excellent in some cases, like those beef strips you put in stirfries. (another good ratio of protein and vegetables; stirfry as long as you cook it in a bit of olive oil or that Enola or whatever it's called..)

I used to be a vegetarian and I was thin, which says a lot for such a diet. I ate stuff like vegetable stirfry all the time. I had a recipe for schezuan stirfry. It had brocoli and other assorted vegetables cooked in the schezuan sauce, and you could put it on top of brown rice. I also always made a tofu stirfry, vegetables and tofu and soy sauce and etc.

Ooooh, also you should stock up on Morningstar farms stuff. Their veggie stuff is excellent. They've got chik patties, "ham"burgers, even vegetarian bacon, that all tastes like the real deal. It's made out of TVP, textured vegetable protein and is excellent for you. It's a good source of protein and is low in fat and calories. I loved to eat chik patties on a whole wheat roll with lettuce and tomato, tasted the same to me as a chicken patty.

If you lose weight FAST, believe me, hon, you'll pay for it LATER . . . when you gain the weight back, PLUS some more, and then have an even harder time losing weight (since you kinda messed up your metabolism a bit).

Just do it the right way. Eat healthful foods at reasonable portions, and exercise.