i've been reading some posts and it seems that in all the relationships the guy is older. is it any different if the girl is older? i'm 2 years older than my boyfriend... and i doesn't bug me at all, but it seems to really bug some people including one of my closest friends. i didn't even think anything of it being bad until my close friend shared his feelings with me. he said stuff like "did you kidnap the poor kid?" and this really hurt me and made me wonder if the guy should be the older one. please give me ur imput!

~SurferBabe

Age is nothing but a number sufer chances are people envy your relationship...there isn't anything wrong with the girl being older as long as you two care for each other..it shouldn't matter what others say or think they arent dating you your bf is and unless he's gotta problem then u shouldn't worry about it

Phil

hey. listen, im not sure how old you are, if you're in your teens (like me), then age might be an issue, but it sounds like it's not. im 16 and my bf is a year younger than me, and sometimes people in school say "don't u feel weird dating someone younger" but lately alot of girls have been doing the same thing as me. if it doesnt bother you den don't worry. and honestly 2 years is NOTHING. but i know when you're in your teens, 2 years seems like alot to some people. but if this person who made this comment is your friend, than it was probably really just a joke. but you know your friend. you should talk to them and let them know that it really hurt you. im sure it was probably just a joke. dont stress about it too much. i know how you feel, but younger guys, there are actually alot of advantages that people don't know about, rite?

The average age difference between couples is about four to five years with the male being the older one.

This is what I've heard. A two year difference (similar to the one between me and my girlfriend) isn't really that bad. Unfortunately, my girlfriend's mom is highly against the relationship all of a sudden after a year and a half of steady dating. See my post below for more info.

Anyways, you won't have that much of a problem with a two year difference as long as you're at the same level of intellectual maturity.

-Foo

For some reason, I've ended up dating younger guys. My last serious boyfriend was only 3 years younger than me, but the last guy I "dated" was 7 years younger. And I also had another boyfriend at one time that was 8 years younger.

It seems like I just meet younger guys more often than older ones, who often are married or absorbed with their career. I have my own business and don't really "need" to find a guy who makes big bucks. Of course, I don't want a leech who uses me either.

Younger guys seem more enthusiastic, always up for something new, and I guess just match my mind-set more. It's not that I wouldn't date older guys, but as I said above, I don't really come into contact with them as much as younger guys.

Keep in mind that the kind of people who post to these fourms are not your average bunch.

In general, these forums express a fairly liberal attitude, and while the country is slowy becoming more and more left wing, your average person is still fairly conseritive.

Currecntaly in society, it's ok for the guy to be older but not the girl. I think this is slowly changing, but it's still considred slightl taboo.

This comes fromt he fact that historicaly the male is perceived as the initater and agressor. He pickck the woman, and if the woman responds they date. In the realtionship, the male is the dominent one, he makes the money, and most importantaly makes the decisions. This leads to an older male filling the roll of the domintant person much eaiser. This doesnt mean the the feamle is the lesser of the two, but it doesn show that traditionaly the female is the one who looks for direction from the male.

This is furthur supported by the fact that females get alot of there romantic acceptance from their father, as he is in the leading and teaching role. Males get it from their fathers too for the same reason. And since the father is alwasy older.......... the circle goes on and on.

I believe that in the next two or three generaltions much of this will change, but for now, even I would feel a little weird about being with someone that was substantialy older than me.

• 10 months later...

OK, you said your close friend was mad about this and HE IS A GUY! Girl don't pay no attention to him, I hear guys talk all tha time like this, they just think younger guys are stealing women from older guys and guys hate younger guys for this, I have myself. If you really like/love him and he is not immature (mentally) then you're good to go. What kind of idiot "friend" says "did you kidnap the poor kid?" Don't think twice about your boyfriend, think twice about your close friend.