online vs. real

I want a boyfriend, but I already have an online bf. He is great, sweet, cute (I've seen pictures), he sticks up for me, but I just want someone I can hold. Someone's shoulder, not a ba-ling from the instant messanger saying "I know you'll pull through." He means well, there's just so much space between us. One time zone and 2 states away if far enough not to be able to see him. He also doesn't know what I look like and that's a problem because the way I talk and the way I look are complete opposites. He is also older than I am, only 2 years but that's enough for him to be interested in other girls, one's he can touch, kiss and share true emotion with.

I've just recently been harassed (verbally) by this guy who I used to like, and my online bf stood up for me and really scared this guy off. I just want to meet my "savior" so badly, it's really killing inside. Nothing means more to me than a true friend, he is that and more. He isn't the bravado type of guy who acts strong, but gets shoot down when the going gets tough.

There are guys at school who appear to consider asking me out, but social status differences are a prevention. I'm so low on the social ladder, it's not funny. But I really don't care because my friends aren't superficial. I just want to go out on a real date, not on to an online chat room!

I know I don't make any sense, but can you please help me!?

As long as you are being honest when you are talking to this guy online, you shouldn't worry too much about him thinking less of you or wanting to look elsewhere. Depending on your age, it may or may not be feasible or a good idea for the two of you to meet in real life. I do agree that it is different online than it is in person. Things could easily sway either way -- you may find you have like each other more or you may discover that you are not that compatible in person. If there are good reasons why the two of you are good in each other's life, I think you will find a way to make it work (with a little patience). Someone you can get along with who shares similar goals and cares deeply about you is hard to come by. I don't think you should give it up just like that because you feel that you want something physical (ie. someone physical to hold). The best thing to do is to bring this issue up with him and see what he thinks and then from his feelings, you should decide together what the best way of making this whole distance thing better for both of you.