Tattoos

Anyplace the bone is close to the skin surface is going to hurt more. For instance, a tat on a butt cheek will hurt less (in theory) than one on your ankle or foot or anyplace you don't have some "cushion". All in all it really depends on your pain threshold. Some folks say it goes numb after the first few minutes, others say they feel the whole thing. I do see ankle tats that are higher on the leg (like more on the calf) rather than right on the bone.

Generally the process is finding a tattoo artist you trust and artistic style suits the tat you plan on getting. I recommend meeting with the artist at least once, if not more times, before actually getting your tat. They will draw up the flash, get your approval, and schedule the actual tattooing. There will be paperwork to fill out. They will clean the area (usually with rubbing alcohol or something of the like), and shave it so there are no hairs to impede the tattooing process. They apply the tattoo transfer to the spot you want. The tattoo artist will ready their equipment and begin tattooing. Biggest thing is remember to breathe. Some people pass out, but it's usually the panic and forgetting to breathe rather than the pain itself. The first minute or so will be the roughest, then the pain will begin to subside. Once the outline is done, they will begin the coloring process, or shading, depending on your design. Once that is done, they clean the tattoo very well, may take a photo for their portfolio, and then they cover the tattoo with a healing ointment (different places use different things) and then bandage it and give you instructions on how to care for your new tattoo. Be sure to follow the aftercare instructions the artist gives you.

Good luck and I hope you get the tat of your dreams!!

I have 2 tatoos. One on my ankle and one on my lower back. The worst part was the outline for the one on my back but the ankle was nothing. I would caution you before getting one make sure you really want it done and remember that this is permanent and you will have it when you are 80. Also, make sure you get your's done at a reputable shop that uses new needles...make sure they take it right out of the package infront of you. You really don't want to get a infection or worse.

I have one on my ankle and it hurt, won't lie. The worst part was when the artist was going over the bone. Eek. Thankfully, it's very small and took 15 minutes. I love it though. It's completely random (a bumblebee) and special to me.

I'm halfway done with a full sleeve on my arm, have two quite large pieces on my chest, and a couple on my back... I can tell you, some I didn't feel, and some made me wanna cry... haha. Now, I don't have anything below the waist, but I do have my full wrist done and that's honestly where it hurt the most... right over the vein. I have an appointment in a couple weeks that'll go on my outer and inner elbow and I sure ain't looking forward to that...

Honestly, it's different for everyone. I have a very high pain threshold, but some places do hurt me pretty bad... and I have a friend who just got her full sleeve done and she took it like a champ... Although I think she's some sort of freaky sadist lol...

It might hurt for the first couple minutes until you get used to it... Then your body has a couple hours of window time where it's not bad... After that, you'll start getting a bit sore, and that's when the pain may kick in because you're basically tattooing over sore spots now... I usually can do about a 3 hour session before I wanna quit... But then again my tat guy's always stopping for smoke breaks (drives me crazy) and that's when you start getting sore, is during breaks... It's a pain in the ass to get started again after stopping for a few...

I just got my tattoo a few weeks ago and despite the artist and many telling me that it didnt hurt "Its just an annoying feeling - hard to describe" I can tell you that it HURT lol

For me, I felt like I was being sliced with a scalpel. Or a very long, slow paper cut.

Once the adrenaline kicked in, I could still feel it but there were some points where I couldnt feel a thing. I got my tat on the side of my calf

Depends on the person and their ability to take pain, my gf has two, one on her hip and one on her foot. She did say the one on her foot hurt the most but said something about being in a Zen state of mind (maybe she meant Zen state of pain). Couldnt of bothered her that much as she talks about others. Again as I said it's a personal thing.

Archived