Open Club  ·  33 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Where to go???

renaissancewoman101

Yesterday at a party, I won the grand prize which is a $400 travel voucher. I have to use it through a travel agency and wonder where I should go with it? I don't want to have to spend too much extra money on it.

My mom is excited and wants me to use it to go to Vegas with her.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do with a $400 travel voucher?

It's kinda funny, I wasn't expecting to win anything since I only had one raffle ticket in the drawing. And the person they first drew for the grand prize wasn't present, so they drew again and my name came up

I am signed up for their email. you have to be slightly flexible as it's a lot of "last minute deals" or only with one month planning but they advertise cruises as well! If you don't have a lot of extra money, try to go someplace where you can get the most of the 400 dollars! have fun!!! let us know where you go.

I am signed up for their email. you have to be slightly flexible as it's a lot of "last minute deals" or only with one month planning but they advertise cruises as well! If you don't have a lot of extra money, try to go someplace where you can get the most of the 400 dollars! have fun!!! let us know where you go.

I have to use this voucher through a specific travel agency.

I'll definitely post where I decide to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats Ren and good for you!

I honestly think you need to take a trip that YOU want to go on, not one your mother wants you to go on. Since you are restricted to go through that specific travel agency, starting with them and seeing where you can get on $400 is the first step. I did a quick search for cruises leaving California:

link removed

Looks like there is one 3 day cruise from LA to Encenada, and a 4 day that goes from LA, stops at Catalina Island and Encenada, and back home. I really wouldn't worry at all about going on a cruise alone. They are generally very social places, even meals are done as a group in most cases, so I think you would have a hard time NOT making friends while on the cruise. ALTHOUGH keep in mind that although most cruises are all inclusive, that does not include tips for the people that assist you on the cruise, and that can add up to quite a pretty penny by the end.

I would jsut give the travel agent a quick call and just pick their brains on what is a good deal this time of year and go from there. Airfares are slowly creeping downward, so you might be able to get somewhere that you hadn't considered before. Is there somewhere you have always wanted to go? Alaska, Montana, Florida, the world is your oyster madame... pick a spot and gooooooooo!!

Oh, and of course keep us posted! hehe

Right now I am leaning towards just blowing it in Vegas on 2 nights of hotel in a posh hotel. I really don't want to go anywhere by myself since it becomes kinda lonely and I always like going to Vegas with T and his bf.

We are looking at staying at the Wynn, Palazzo, or the Bellagio, but we'll see.

A cruise is not as cheap if you are going as a single person since the rooms are double occupancy rates.

Vegas is awesome. I went to the BEST buffet there but don't remember which hotel..?? I think it's a great idea to use your money for a mother-daughter trip!

I love Vegas. I go at least once a year (usually with my mom).

Right now trying to finalize the date. T, as usual, is being a bit off about things (he is in the middle of some work deadlines), so trying to work around that.

Archived