Why is it so easy to recommend meds?

Im just wondering what ever happen to the work it out yourself attitude, why is it so easy to recommend medications that have serious side affects to people?

Getting a divorce, try meds.

Feeling low, try meds.

Not saying that some people dont need meds, but I feel that some could try and resolve these issues without putting themselves into further harm with the possible side affects to some of these meds. Which can be extreme at times. Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DIY:

Some of us are more resilient than others (we are the work it out ones, so to speak). Others do not have the same "mental gear", are weaker sychologically, are encumbered by past issues, a whole host of things.

In general, I agree that over-medicating is not a good idea.

H

I am like you, too often these days they give you a pill that will "fix everything" rather than actually focusing on the issue itself. I have always been a "life is rough, wear a helmet" kind of person. Meaning that life is not a merry-go-round ride and all fun and games, there are tough times you have to learn to get through and medical science has decided that popping a little pill will make eveything better.

BUT, on the other hand, I do believe there are mnay mental issues that ARE physical imbalances, so they do require medical intervention. My brother in law is bipolar and when he is off meds he has either manic episodes where he is superman and nothing can touch him, or depressive episodes where he won't get out of bed for weeks at a time.

So yeah, I can see both sides, but I also see an increasing move of prescribing a pill for anything and everything, and as you said not realizing the adverse side affects of these meds. Personally, I am pretty much completely homeopathic, I don't even take aspirin or anything, so when I see pills for this that and the other thing being shoved down peoples throats, it kinda irks me.

Many times a person can fall in an actual clinical depression where certain meds can be a life saver, in helping them to cope and deal with their symptoms in a much more comfortable way. When meds are clearly needed, the benefits certainly do outweigh the risks.

I do agree that they can at times be over prescribed, where other means of support can be more beneficial. All in all, it's not a "one size fits all" type of answer.

It's the same reason we invented chainsaws and laz-y-boy recliners. We're always looking for easier ways to do things, looking for ways to increase our comfort. We don't realize that a lot of times we hurt ourselves by self-deprivation of good old-fashioned hard work.

Have you seen all the ads of TV these days for mattresses and beds? They show these people walking around bent over like the Hunchback of Notredame, grasping at their backs as if to illustrate the utter agony of sleeping on an ordinary mattress. Nevermind that people slept just fine for thousands of years without any of our modern contrivances. We don't need 90% of the things we're told we need.

And probably the most important thing to realize is that people will lie for money. Often times they'll even convince themselves that their lies are true so they don't have to bear guilty consciences. Companies want to sell products -- even the drug companies.

Im in healthcare and its a big topic of discussion. Especially in counseling and therapy, docs are too quick to prescribe meds, Its easier to dispense a "quic fix" instead of getting to the root of the problem. All this is doing is getting rid of the symptoms but the problem is going to still pop up. I hate how much meds are thrown around now. The side effects are ridiculous and they really dont help the person much in the long run.

Im in healthcare and its a big topic of discussion. Especially in counseling and therapy, docs are too quick to prescribe meds, Its easier to dispense a "quic fix" instead of getting to the root of the problem. All this is doing is getting rid of the symptoms but the problem is going to still pop up. I hate how much meds are thrown around now. The side effects are ridiculous and they really dont help the person much in the long run.

hence, what i said.

It seems like everytime you go to doc for anything they are prescribing you something. Hell even when I went through my hystercomy my WHOWHO doc prescribed me xanax which I though was really odd at the time.

Coming from a family with prescription medication addictions, I just think WE ALL need to be aware of the side affects and the risk of becoming addicted to these types of medications. Some think that they will be able to take these meds for a short period of time and its going to cure but in reality its not going to.

I think it is slightly unfair to assume that they are over prescribed and unnecessary. That is a popular view, but I don't see any hard scientific evidence to back this up at all. This view assumes that doctors who spend an extremely long time studying medicine and the effects of drugs on the body are either lazy, incompetent, or greedy / unethical by being under the thumb of drug companies.

In the US in 2006 the third highest cause of death in young people 15 to 24 years old was suicide, and suicide was the 7th highest cause of death for all males. If I was a doctor I would be sure to offer drugs and therapy to someone who I thought was seriously depressed as to not do so would be extremely negligent. I would rather err on the side of caution than deny someone a drug that has tolerated, controlled and well known mostly minor side effects.

I'm a major proponent of self-reflection, exercise, eating well, and supplementation of nutrients all before other avenues are considered.

Beyond that, therapy is good for many people.

Beyond that, and preferably in rare cases but far too often, prescription medication can be warranted but is too often used.

People just don't care to look into their issues and want to dull it out with some drug. Just because it's socially acceptable to pop Zoloft it doesn't mean that it's any less worrisome than alcoholism or other drug-related problems if you didn't actually need it in the first place. Once you become dependent on a substance, you've given up part of yourself and you are now "Me + Substance", not just "Me".

Red Fox- I can see your point but I have to disagree.

Now I do believe that suicide rate is at a high, but I also believe that most of the suicides that are committed have never been to see a doctor. I also believe you can only know what that person is willing to tell you or to open up about but some dont even hint at suicide before they do it.

Some people, meds are like a magic button. Like you want to smack yourself with the palm of your hand and say 'where have you been all my life?!"

But, I do think pills get pushed on a lot of people. Some rare people are just naturally depressed and need the meds. Most can exercise, eat right, get enough sleep and their problems just disappear. I think meds are a last ditch "nothing else is working and I'm depressed for no reason" thing.

This is what my psychiatrist did to me. She talked to me for 10 minutes, and prescribed Effexor. No other recommendations.

I had to wean myself after it made my life hell. Never again.

Insane Heart- I have also taken Effexor, its really the only one that I seen any change while taking but I do agree getting off of it after a year was pure hell.

Im not sure the side effects were worth the benefit.

Ive also had the 10 minute doc appts many of times where they are like try this it will make you feel so much better tomorrow. Who would turn that down?

Ive also had the 10 minute doc appts many of times where they are like try this it will make you feel so much better tomorrow. Who would turn that down?

Anyone would if they knew about how the body works, that drastic chemical changes have consequences, and that too good to be true always is.

Lifestyle changes come before pills come before surgery. That's how it should be but more and more rarely is.

Generation Rx. I recommend the film.

The thing about medication is that it's masking the problem and often times than not the patient needs more medication to counteract the side effects from them. It may temporary help the patient but long term it's doing worse.

It's scary how a regular family doctor could prescribe something like Adderall with few questions.

Anyone would if they knew about how the body works, that drastic chemical changes have consequences, and that too good to be true always is.

Lifestyle changes come before pills come before surgery. That's how it should be but more and more rarely is.

I agree and the hard part is it's very rare to talk to a doctor that knows let alone recommend any sort of therapy outside conventional medicine.

Yup, and try to get a doc to talk to you about homeopathic options. Ya, right! One of the basic principals of homeopathic medicine is building the bodies natural immunity to the issue at hand. For instance, you have a severe case of congestion or problems with allergies. A doctor is going to give you a decongestant or something like Claritin which remedies the symptoms but does nothing to deal with the REASON for the symptoms. Not to mention filling your body with all kinds of chemicals. I think this overflows to the anti-depressants, etc. Medical docs are not too keen on recommending therapy or lifestyle changes because, after all, they make no money from that. They make money from the pharmaceutical companies that pay them to write scripts for their drugs. It's sad really, but it is also society and the demand for an "immediate solution to a problem" or a solution that doesn't require any additional effort on their part. "Oh, I just have to take a pill every day and everything will be honkee-dory? I'm sold!!" The drugs wouldn't be so popular and sell so well if people didn't think it was the solution.

^Yep and we don't want to get into the political side of things but there are many options, from homeopathic treatments to even simply changing your lifestyle.

The more you read about it, the more you'll really wake up to this non-sense most of us were taught to believe in. You will really start to dig into the topic to get answers. And that's what we need to do. Question it.

Cancer treatment is something I've been reading up recently. There are proven methods using high dose of Vitamin C and other nutrients that have cured even terminally ill patients that was given only several months to live. With conventional medicine and even with so many technologies why can't we find this 'cure' that's supposedly being worked on. These cancer-treatment centers do not exist in the United States. There's a reason why. It would devastate the medical community but slowly but surely such treatment is being accepted by number of doctors.

Another example is a former executive for a well known pharmaceutical company that NEVER gave his kids vaccines. So many controversies exist with long-term effects from the drugs, kids who go brain dead after receiving HPV shots, develop autistic like symptoms, etc.

All I can say is, question it, just because a doctor tells you that certain medication is necessary yet you're having bad side effects or your condition isn't improving chances are your body isn't lying.

Medication is sometimes necessary no doubt. You don't want to let go of an ear infection or not do something about it because you don't believe in conventional medicine.

Shortpants- give us some examples of homeopathic so for us that dont know can be educated.

Homeopathic basically means stimulating/using your bodies natural defenses rather than depending on non-natural remedies to simulate a "cure". Treatments are tailored to each person rather than an overall "one-cure-for-all" philosophy prevelant in today's "modern" medicine. It goes much more indepth as far as deciding on a treatment for each individual, looking at many factors, lifestyle, emotional and mental state, and others. All treatments or "medicines" are derived form natural substances from plants, minerals or animals. Here is a link to a good overview of homeopathy, without getting into specific treatments:

link removed

I turned to homeopathy back in my early 20's after years of a chronic sinus issue that caused clear fluid to run out my ears and sever itching in my ears that made me scratch so bad that I made my ears bleed. Doctors put me on decongestants, Claritin, the Flonase nasal spray stuff, and eventually told me I needed to have my jaw broken and wired shut as it was pinching off my eustacian tubes. Ummmmm, I don't freeking THINK SO!!! LOL I ended up doing sinus irrigation at the suggestion of my massage therapist and although I have occasional flare-ups from time to time, I have gone 15 years with no major issues.

/steps down off her homeopathic soapbox

hehe

The Standard for Prescribing

Controlled Substances

Prescriptions for controlled substances must be issued for a legitimate

medical purpose by a registered physician acting within the usual course

of professional practice. This should in no way interfere with the legitimate

practice of medicine or cause any physician to be reluctant to provide

legitimate pain treatment.

Establishing Standards for Managing Pain

There is a lack of consensus among physicians as to all the circumstances

that warrant the use of opioids to treat pain. It may be impossible to provide

an exhaustive and foolproof list of “dos and don’ts’’ when it comes to prescribing

controlled substances for pain or any other medical purpose. The courts

have recognized that there are no definitive criteria laying out precisely what is

legally permissible, as each patient’s medical situation is unique and must be

evaluated based on the entirety of the circumstances.

link removed

It will get harder for physicians in future! Over the years I could get refill prescriptions for up to six months, for many I now have to see a physician monthly and need to be in some sort of therapy to get my medication.

Well that is certainly interesting,

Does anyone use this type of treatment for depression? Can you give some examples or stories on how this has helped you?

Would marijuanna fall into this catergory?

Jeen- that is also crazy to read, my mother has been an addict of prescription drugs for as long as I can remember, starting with xanax now onto oxycotton, listen to what she takes in a day,

xanax x 4 or 5

oxycotton x 2

methadone x 4

vicadin

heart meds

blood pressure meds

antibotics

blood thinners

her health continues to fall the more she takes these meds, and the docs tell her since she has taken them for so many years that her body will fail if she stops. I just wish there was more to just going to the doc and saying hey I wanna try some prozax or xanax.

Archived