Hi. Overall I like what I do. It's finally a career path I'm taking rather than just something to pay the bills.

As an English teacher, I don't make a lot of money, but I'm in a decent situation. I have a really good teaching facility. My hours are light, I don't have bosses breathing down my neck, and I live in a fantastic foreign country. Most of all, I HAVE A JOB. I'd hate to be searching right now.

Although sometimes, like today, I came home slightly miserable, like I suck at what I do. I'm the kind of person who can do a lot of different things, none of them extremely well, but fairly well, unlike others who can do one thing extremely well. While I have a lot of "variety", it makes it difficult to decide what I'm best at and what makes me most happiest. So far, teaching has been a good thing because I've been able to exercise most of my passions into one career. i know I'm doing what I should be doing, but I get so frustrated with myself sometimes, like I'm just not getting it. It's really not that easy, especially dealing with unruly children. Sometimes I worry my boss looks down on me like I"m really not that great of an addition to the faculty, and sometimes i worry i'll get fired or never have a chance to advance or gain approval.

Then other days I feel good again.

Does anyone have any advice on how to be positive and have sustainable enthusiasm for what you do? Even if it means writing down mantras and sticking them on the wall, methods are good. I just don't want my inner demons to catch up with me this time (the ones who tell me the grass is always greener somewhere else) and make me throw away a good thing. I need to stay put.

Thanks.

Archived