Couples counseling..... Does it work/help?

Sweet Girl

Hi everyone-

Well, my boyfriend and I broke up briefly last week over our lack of communication. We have decided to give "us" another try. We are going to start seeing a marriage and family therapist.

Does anyone know if couple's counseling works or not? We've been together for 3 1/2 years.

It works if you play fair and are willing to take it slow and work very hard. If either of you don't want to do that, it doesn't work. Just a reminder, it will take lots of work and will move forward fairly slowly, so you have to hang in there for the long haul. It didn't go bad overnight and you can't fix it overnight, either. Good luck with everything. I hope you make it.

Counseling of any type works only if YOU choose to take the therapist's advice. It does give you a more professional insight. However, it costs a lot of money to go to sessions (I'm talking $150+ a day). I'd only recommend it if you're engaged or are married. If you're just dating... well... how much money do you want to spend?

The third party's input is invaluable but it boils down to how two people understand and accept the situation and make the necessary changes 'together'.

My wife and I have in the past for better communication and it was very helpful. It's making the changes at home that are challenging.

Archived