Is it possible to be in love with 2 people at once?

I think that it's possible, but don't think that it's right. Sure, a person love multiple partners. However, in that case, is that called 'love'? Is loving two people, at the same time, romantically, called 'true love, honesty, and respect'? I think that it objects to the 'true' meaning of love. If that's the case, then the person who's involved in a 'triangle' romance, should really question who they are, and what they want in life.

Life's about being 'real', being true to yourself, and what you want. So, if a person claims to love two person all at once, romantically, then he or she seems a little confused to me.

I think that you can love other people, similar to loving a friend or family. However, loving 'two partners' 'romantically,' is a very sticky situation, in which the person doing so, should re-evaluate things in his/her life, and be 'real.' In that case, maybe that person isn't ready for anyone.

• 7 months later...

"I'm wondering because my close guy friend has come and told me he's in love with me as well as his ex. WHAT! I don't know if to believe him even if I wanted to pursue things.I didn't think it was logically possible... because I'm a true romantic."

----thats a really really weird thing for him to say!!!!

So many people... so many different theories... especially when you ask them what love means.

There is a major difference between loving someone and being in love with someone.. and then of corse you have like/care for and lust. So many people can't differenciate between being in love and loving someone.

Make sure that you don't start liking your good friend just because he likes you.. so many girls make that mistake.

Good Luck!!

• 9 months later...

I think it's interesting that so many people believe that it's impossible to really love two people at the same time, romantically. I think it may be highly unlikely that you would ever be "in love" with two people at the same time but we all know that the in-love isn't permanent anyway, and isn't what's really important either.

I think it's quite possible, romantic love isn't a commodity. Why is it that we can love many friends / family but only one romantically?

Isn't romantic love really just companionship love with a bit of spice thrown in ie. physical attraction?

Sure, it would take alot of time and commitment to pull this off, like it takes time and commitment to really love and care for kids. And sure, you'd have to be really lucky to have three people who all really love each other and so it would often end up with 1 or all hearts broken but that's besides the point. That happens in many relationships.

I think these monogamous ethics have largely been imposed on us by society & religion, like it was taboo to be gay 2 decades ago.

0X Check out these links if you're interested:

link removed

link removed

I concur. I have loved two people at the same time but you cannot be 'in love' with both I feel. Loving two people is a very painful experience that I would not wish upon anyone. People are way to rigid in their ideas of what love is supposed to be, you can love two people but its is difficult and not something i chose to happen. Certain aspects of my relationship were obviously not being fulfilled for me to turn to someone else, but at the same time both gave me things the other could not. In the end I feel I have lost both of these men whom I loved so dearly. The person I saw later knew about my partner, never tried to make me leave and was happy to be the way we were, in the end I was the one who felt too guilty to go on.

People make sweeping statements about love, but they dont really get that life is not simple, nothing is. People don't fit in boxes, nor does love.

scientific explanation: well... i say scientific, a scientist told me, but I can by no means reproduce her level of accuracy and depth, not being a psychologist myself, but the basic story was this:

they did brain scans of people in long term loving relationships talking about their partners. They also did scans of people who were newly in love with someone.

It turns out that these two feelings activate two completely different areas of the brain, which is how they can occur simultaneously. The areas active in people in long-term relationships were the same as those activated when talking about a very deep friendship. The active areas for those newly in love, in that mad infatuation phase, are the same areas that are stimulated by drug use! And as anyone who has ever madly in love will probably agree, it does feel like you're on an incredible high - even without ever having taken drugs for comparison, you can tell you're not your usual self, and the world looks completely different for being in love

• 2 weeks later...

Fades - I was in love with two girls in high school. The second snuck in before I acted on the first. I hate to admit it but, even to this day, I still love the first one but we've never gotten together because we were never uncommitted at the same time. As much as I care for her, it hasn't stopped me from loving others.

So yes, I think he can love you both. He will get over his ex, even if he continues to care for her, he just needs some time to heal. You can help him heal but there is that rebound relationship risk and you would be taking a chance of getting hurt. Depending on how you feel about him you can either take that risk or give him more time to heal. Since he's openned up the topic of how he feels about his ex you might have to set limits of how much you want to listen to him talk about her and that relationship.

I believe that u can love only one person at one time!..Well common how can u think of 2 persons at the same time whu give u the same feeling as the one u get when ur in love!..I guess its only attraction!!But the mind gets too confused about which one u really want cuz ur attracted to both of them!..And thus the feeling of being in love with 2 people at the same time

You can love two people at once, but your love for both of them suffers as a result. You aren't able to devote the full emphasis of your love onto the person you are with. It creates confusion and turmoil in your heart and you suffer thanks to this. I think you can only truly be in love with one person at a time, the other love may feel like a romantic love, but it is something else instead. It's just hard to decipher what kind of love it is.

• 2 years later...

I am currently in the middle of this crisis, and I cannot begin to tell you how it eats me up inside. I know I'm hurting them by loving both of them, but I can't help that I love them so much, and for different reasons.

One is my boyfriend of almost a year, and most of our relationship has been long distance, except for summer and Christmas. Our relationship even began long distance, as odd as that sounds. I had a tragic series of huge life changes in the past year, last summer my childhood friend from home was killed in a hit and run, which brought me together with my current boyfriend. We've known each other since 7th grade but when our friend died it brought us and all our friends close together again. Our love was hard at first, we didn't know what we were doing starting something like a serious relationship from long distance (I had to go to back to school for the semester.) But it happened and I don't regret it, as hard as it is to love him the way I do and to have to be so far away from him all the time.

The other is my best friend from college. Our love for each other developed very fast and passionately but we were only friends and that was all we ever really needed from each other. It was something more then just friends though, but we never realized it. I had my boyfriend at home, and I loved him, but while I was at school my love for my friend got stronger and more intense. At the end of second semester of my sophomore year (I'm currently in my first semester junior year) my friend got in a terrible car accident and was thrown from the window of his Toyota tundra going 80 mph not to mention barrel rolling in mid air. He was in a coma for about a month, and is now at home undergoing his second batch of rehab. He has brain injuries, the extent to which the doctors cannot know until he's made his "full recovery", which cannot be determined as well. This was one of the hardest moments of my life, I thought I'd lost him, but now I can't know if I've lost him until I find out how much he recovers, how much he remembers, etc. He does remember me, and we talk in text messages frequently, but he's so different. How could he not be? I love him still so much and he says he loves me too, but I'm so scared. And he has a girlfriend, one of my best friends, and we all were very close before all of this. His girlfriend was in the accident as well. I would never, EVER betray her love for him, but I know he wanted to be with me too, he used to tell me how he wanted to be with me before he was with her, but I had a boyfriend.

So I'm in love with my boyfriend, who loves me back just as much, but there is a part of my heart that belongs to my friend, and I can't have him, in any sense of the word. Not even as my best friend at the moment because of the accident, and it tears a hole in me everyday. But I LOVE my boyfriend, he makes me happier then I could ever explain.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? I'm a terrible terrible awful person. But I love them. I really really do.

Do you think that it is possible to have love for two people at once?

I don't mean like how parents have love for their children, because that is possible... but I'm speaking romantically.

No, its confusing and the mind will play tricks on you, but the HEART can NOT serve two masters...

Love of a child is different...the love you speak is of romance and that is not to be divided..you will always come up short.