Question for the swimmers with long hair or big head!

I have been wanting to start going to the pool regularly because it would be a nice workout/activity. I am not a professional swimmer or anything but it would be nice to burn some extra calories and relax and unwind at the same time.

Anyhow, I have a bigish head along with long (very, very long) head of hair. Needless to say with the ginormous hair and with cold winter air still blowing I need a swimcap! My last experience with a swimcap wasn't pleasant. Does anyone know the right brand to buy for bigheads with a ton of hair?

If you are going to an athletic centre for swimming, perhaps the person in charge of the pool might have some ideas. What about sports stores that have a swimming section and lots of bathing caps? I have one of those lycra bathing caps made by Tyr..but I am not so sure it would fit a larger head with lots of hair. Here is a website with an assortment of bathing caps:

link removed

Oh my god.. those petal swim caps are just brilliant lol

Aaanyway, did you try latex ones? Those really are a pain.. I always fight forever to get them on my head, freaks me out.

My friend only uses ones made of spandex, she also has very long hair and says its easier for her + more comfortable

Oh my god.. those petal swim caps are just brilliant lol

Aaanyway, did you try latex ones? Those really are a pain.. I always fight forever to get them on my head, freaks me out.

My friend only uses ones made of spandex, she also has very long hair and says its easier for her + more comfortable

Thanks. How long is her hair? I have hair that goes a little below my waist! It is not that thick but it is long. Also I have a bigger than average head!

Her hair goes almost down to her belly button but it's abit on the thicker side. Her head is average I guess but then again I don't know how you define bigger.. All I know is that she tries to put her hair up and make a knot.

I'm afraid I can't be of any more help .. but I hope you keep your hair as long as it is, at least I totaly love that and it's somewhat rare to find

Her hair goes almost down to her belly button but it's abit on the thicker side. Her head is average I guess but then again I don't know how you define bigger.. All I know is that she tries to put her hair up and make a knot.

I'm afraid I can't be of any more help .. but I hope you keep your hair as long as it is, at least I totaly love that and it's somewhat rare to find

Actually I am thinking of cutting it. Just because it seems to be restricting my life!

Do you put baby powder in the cap? it helps soo much for cramming your hair in there. The spandex ones seem to stretch lot better as well. I have massive amounts of hair. It's not as long as yours but it's ridiculously thick.

Right now I don't even have a cap. What brand should I buy? Something that is not 'one size fits all'...

one thing you can do to fit long hair into a swim cap is to get it wet and apply a small amount of deep conditioner, then put the cap on. This will help the cap fit over your hair and when you're done swimming you can rinse your hair out.

This is what I do when I really have to wear a swimming cap (even though I hate them) and I have really curly waist-length hair - so mine is an absolute nightmare to get into caps!

I agree that spandex ones are better, they pull so much less at your hair when putting them on, and they're much, much more comfortable. Regarding size - I would try one of the standard adult-size spandex ones - they can be bought from Amazon fairly cheap. Spandex really does stretch more easily, and it's a lot more forgiving if you have a slightly larger head (which, again - I do as well.) I find that the latex ones really dig in which is incredibly uncomfortable and ends up giving me a horrible headache by the end of the swim.

What I do is get my hair wet and conditioned, and then twirl it into a bun at the nape of my neck, then I can flatten that against the back of my head when I put the swimming cap on and it's not too uncomfortable for the time wearing it.

Hope this helps!

Archived