Beginnings -- 2010

browneyedgirl36

I wasn't sure where to put this -- Off Topic, Emotions and Feelings, or here, so I decided on here. The more I think about it, "Personal Growth" seems to be the best place for it. I am ALL about the personal growth right now!

I am not a big believer in "New Year's Resolutions," per se; I have broken nearly every one I've ever made, and with good reason: I think the pressure (mostly self-inflicted) to make dramatic changes tends to sabotage the chance of real change taking place. For me, real, substantive, life-enhancing change can't be "planned." It is a process, one that occurs a bit at a time, in increments, over the course of hours, days, weeks, months -- even years -- with some setbacks along the way. I hate to dust off an old cliche, but I do believe that life is a journey, not a destination. The best things, in my experience, happen more gradually -- unfold, if you will -- and for me, those are the things that last.

In that spirit, I thought I'd post a thread --not a New Year's Resolutions -- thread, but more of a "Beginnings" thread. "Beginnings" might be a bit vague, but I was trying to find a sort of all-encompassing word to denote what I mean. So, here are my questions: What positive changes would you like to see -- in your life, specifically, but also in the lives of others, in the world (if any)? And, in the spirit of NOT rushing things and expecting insta-results, where would you like to begin in making those things happen?

In my own life, there are too many things to mention, but I'll start with this one: I want to work toward getting to a place where I am at peace with myself and where I am in my life -- not over-the-top happy 24/7, which I know is unrealistic. I just want to get to a place where I look around me, at everything I have and at who I am and say "This is good. I am very grateful. I have everything I need." This is NOT to say, of course, that I want to become complacent and feel that nothing about me or my life needs changing, which leads me to the next thing: I want to continue to grow -- as a friend, teacher, colleague, daughter, and especially as a human being.

And, I want to be of more service to others. I have felt very disconnected from the world at large for a long time -- not my friends and family, but from everyone else. I want to do more to help other people, including people I've never met.

Where to begin? Well, for the first two things, I will start by leaving the country for a few months and having new experiences and being open to new opportunities in a new place. I hope to gain some much-needed perspective, to expand my horizons, and to learn to appreciate my life and everything I have all over again. Over time, various things have happened in my life that have caused me to lose sight of some really essential things. I hope that this experience abroad will help me to get some of that back.

For the last thing: I'm still working on it. I would love to volunteer for a non-profit organization of some sort or use my talents and skills to create or participate in some sort of program that helps others. Another cliche comes to mind: Be the change you want to see in the world. I guess I want to be part of the solution rather than just lamenting that there are people who are poor, unemployed, abused, homeless, addicted, etc.

Anyway...This is a start. What about you? Where do you want to begin in 2010?

Great thread!! I for one love New Years resolutions, even if I don't stick to them. It's a chance for a "fresh start" and I am goal oriented so it's right up my alley. I also have a lot of tenacity, so when I make up my mind I have pretty good follow through.

I like your list...to be the solution to some of the issues out there. It's easy to cry and whine, it's harder to step up and actually make a stand. So I think doing more for other people is a good start. Another one for me is to stop caring so much about what other people think, or how they might react.It's out of my control, so I am going to try to stop trying to control the outcome in so many things. Plus getting in shape again would be nice!!!!

Excellent thread!

For me I would like to:

• Keep focus on the good & positive each day
  • Get started on projects and important tasks early
  • Utilize every free time as possible, no excuses
  • Set aside more time with the family
  • Stretch/keep active during winter especially
  • Invest in the future, not now
  • ...start Christmas shopping EARLY

I'll join in as I am a bit in the same mindset:

• Avoid needless conflicts with my boyfriend in stressful situations - ex: late for Christmas dinner
  • Try to gain a bit more project management "soft skills" to apply when I go back in August - I'm reading Basic Black which is quite interesting on this topic.
  • Plan the kids day a bit better instead of just wasting it around the house
  • Start-up my makeup artistry business once we get the house
  • Get back to exercizing and eating healthy (especially the last one) as I'm in a total slump
  • Be a bit more spiritual and less materialistic

I'm mostly focusing on the move to our new house (January 15th), after then I'll focus more on the "resolutions". If I can do both at once, then great! I need to concertize these goals a bit more and put a time line to them... which I may do tonight when the kids are sleeping. I've been wanting to make myself a road map for fun. (With the kids Christmas art supplies)

i enyoed this thread thanks ...i found some pieces of myself there

well i really think its time for me to work daily on my personal growth...and what i want to do is :

-to understand myself better and be aware of ME of who i am , what are my fears , my weak points and try change them or improve them or those that cant be change just accpet them as they are .. will try to figure out my strong points and keep focusing on them and develop them continuosly, will try to understand what are my deepest desires, what i want to do with my life better and to grow every single day by being positive, choosing to feel good, stop thinking of what other might think of me.THE TOOLS of doing all of this work , continuos work for me i think are PATIENCE , PATIENCE and LOTS OF PATIENCE ...whic i lack.....

-i guess the first step is beginig with myself...and after ive done some improvment on this i will try to focus more on my family members...i know that ive not given them the attention they deserve...they have given me too much and now its my turn to give them love , gratitude and respect....

-the third thing i will try to focus on its my outside life....school, work , co-workers, friends and other people..

-i would also like to join a non profit organisation or whatever it might be to do volunter work , i want so much to be a help of people in need ....i want to help others and i m praying to go in the right place when its needed my help...

-last but not least i want to smile a lot ..smile is the most powerful tool when one is down...the mind follows when u smile

happy new year to everyone and good luck to all of u

hugs

red sky

Archived