Giving my Toddler Medicine is a Nightmare

BellaDonna

pretend to eat the pills in front of him. act like they are yummy. then give him one when he really wants it.

this works in theory. not sure about real life. but monkey see monkey do is a powerful thing.

this works nearlly all the time with bear [18 months] with foods, medicine, baths, putting toys away, whatever, if he sees mommy or daddy doing it [and enjoying it!] he wants to too.

I feel like I just won the lottery!

I tried another approach, involving deception, but was successful this time.

Out of desperation I tried buying berry flavored Motrin drops and berry flavored children's juice. I put a dose of the Motrin in the juice, but also mixed in 1teaspoon of strawberry syrup (the kind you'd use to flavor milk)

I mixed it all up and anxiously awaited the first sip (because if he noticed it- he'd spit it out right away) But he drank it.

So now we're good for 6 hours.

Of course this will only work with berry Motrin and is a temporary fix but the larger problem still remains if he is ever prescribed an antibiotic in the future. -Or any other medication that does not happen to have a matching juice flavor- grrr

this works nearlly all the time with bear [18 months] with foods, medicine, baths, putting toys away, whatever, if he sees mommy or daddy doing it [and enjoying it!] he wants to too.

I wish my kid would just do that. My grandfather has a saying about my son and it is so true he says, "You can't BS that kid" When I outsmart him I feel like I completed a major science project and won the first place blue ribbon. lol

I wish doctors would just invent medicine patches that you could stick on a kid (like on their leg or back)!!!!!!! They have birth control patches and other drugs via patch- why can't they make fever reducers and other common childhood meds in that form? I could be a millionaire if I pursued that idea. Earlier I googled "child won't take medicine" and found many other blurbs from moms and dads who were going through the same Hell with it. Some of them even had to take their kids to the doctor's for every dose so that 3 nurses could hold the kid down for it.

Oh well, I won the battle for at least now. One more dose before bed later on- I'm getting armed and ready lol

Oh that's rough...

At least with the vitamins my daughter loves the Nordic Naturals that's nothing like gummy bears. It has a very deep fruit flavor to it so you never think it's vitamins but my daughter begs for them all the time so if you have a place you can get samples from I'd highly recommend it and see if your son will take it Quality vitamins too!

Oh that's rough...

At least with the vitamins my daughter loves the Nordic Naturals that's nothing like gummy bears. It has a very deep fruit flavor to it so you never think it's vitamins but my daughter begs for them all the time so if you have a place you can get samples from I'd highly recommend it and see if your son will take it Quality vitamins too!

HAHAHA I tried to give my son vitamins and I would find them hidden all over the house. Under placemats, couch cushions, under the sofa, garbage can. I had to use the liquid. Now he just sticks his medication down his throat with his finger.

LOL too funny.

I can't explain the texture & taste of the Nordic Natural, it's not gummy, it's a bit softer than the gummy but has a rough texture outside and taste like orange/berry. I want to eat the whole bottle it's so good but always get told by my wife to 'stop eating her vitamins'.

Oh that's rough...

I'll have to try those. Right now I use the Polyvisol drops with iron (Enfamil brand) there is one kind of juice I can hide it in and he won't notice- but I'd rather he take an actual solid vitamin so it is not always dependent on him drinking the juice to get it all.

The medicine issue is so bad though because he already isn't feeling well and then we have to go through all of these antics and tricks in order to not have him totally freak out to the point of making himself throw up.

He just has certain things he hates. He is very good about brushing his teeth and eating now- he also lets me cut his nails with no problem- but haircuts are another story.

Haircuts and medicine are perceived as torture sessions to my kid. I can't wait until we outgrow this phase

Belladonna -

I know that this won't help now, but it may later on. When my brother was small he wouldnt swallow pills. No vitamins no antibiotics nothing. My mom had him practice with swallowing tic tacs and that got him used to swallowing without chewing. He really liked the tic tacs so it was a fun thing for him and it helped in the long run.

Also when we were kids, they had this antibiotic that tasted just like bubblegum, my brother loved it! He even wanted to lick the cap! I don't know if they make it anymore, it was the consistency of pepto but bubblegum flavored.

I know that Walgreens will put flavors into some perscriptions. Maybe this would be an option for you. Here is the link:

link removed

All the best,

owb

Also when we were kids, they had this antibiotic that tasted just like bubblegum, my brother loved it! He even wanted to lick the cap! I don't know if they make it anymore, it was the consistency of pepto but bubblegum flavored.

They still make them. I know because I had one spit at me in June. lol

I do really think that when he can be taught how to swallow a pill this will get much easier. It will also get easier when he can be reasoned with more and he can understand the cause and effect of: taking medicine makes you feel better.

He is 26 months so we are not quite there yet. I hope we are there by age 3!

BellaDonna, my kids would not take Tylenol to save their lives, but would take liquid ibuprofen with no problem, also the berry flavored (I think, it was the orange colored one).

Another option you might try if he needs an antibiotic is to ask the doctor if there is a capsule that can be opened and sprinkled on something. My middle son throws up at the thought of having to take liquid medicine so before he could swallow pills, the doctor would give us capsules that could be opened and sprinkled on a spoonful of yogurt or applesauce (if it's colored, just mix it in and make sure he doesn't see you doing it). It worked like a charm. Thank god he can swallow pills now, but cough medicine is still a nightmare!

Belladonna -

I know that this won't help now, but it may later on. When my brother was small he wouldnt swallow pills. No vitamins no antibiotics nothing. My mom had him practice with swallowing tic tacs and that got him used to swallowing without chewing. He really liked the tic tacs so it was a fun thing for him and it helped in the long run.

This... is genius. I need to try this with my daughter, she's almost 11 and can't take a pill, no matter how small it is.

I'm going to try this, thanks for the post!

This... is genius. I need to try this with my daughter, she's almost 11 and can't take a pill, no matter how small it is.

I'm going to try this, thanks for the post!

You are welcome! Let me know how it turns out.

The other favorite of our family is Watkins Menthol Inhalant. You put it on their pillow at night (they also have room sprays) and you child can breathe it in and it clears up chest congestion. Plus because you use such a small amount, the bottle lasts forever!!

link removed

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to give an update. I have made some progress and things are better.

My son recently told me that his ear hurt so I took him to the doctor and he ended up having a sinus infection and an ear infection. He was very well behaved and cooperative for the appointment (no crying- he listened and let the doc look in his ears, etc). That in and of itself is a major improvement. He was prescribed liquid antibiotics that he has to take twice a day for 10 days. That is the difficult part.....but I used bribery and it worked. He took the medicine in exchange for M&M's. Things seem to be better now that he is three and a half and can be reasoned with. Plus, the doctor told him that he would have to take medicine to make the "boo boo in his ear go away". He seems to respond better to authority when a stranger tells him.

He still cries about every dose of his medicine and I still have to beg and reason with him. He still gags a little bit but he does not throw up anymore because I make him breathe through his nose and count to calm down. It's good to see some improvement in this area because it is very stressful when a child is sick and won't take medicine and ends up throwing up on top of whatever other illness he has because he doesn't want medicine. At least ear infections can be treated now and he won't make himself worse by throwing up after a dose of medicine.

That is great Bella. Yes, I find it gets easier when they reach an age where they can begin to understand more action with consequence. Some times too like you say they will listen to a stranger. Sometimes kids save the most "special" treatment for mom.

Wow, I can not believe your little guy is that old now.

Have you tried having the medicine flavored? I know they come flavored, but they can have additional flavorings added. I just learned how to do this today I can also tell you that certain antibiotics are better than others because of the texture....amoxicillin is by far the best because it's the thinnest and has the least amount of "medicine" taste

Also, for cough medicine, try Delsym grape...it's the only one my kids will take. The berry flavored ibuprofen (which is actually orange???) is the only "pain reliever/fever reducer" they will take as well.

BTW, my 2 youngest are HUGE "gaggers"....the middle one will start gagging at the mere mention of cough medicine

I've had the meds flavored. Before when he was really resistant it wouldn't matter what the flavor was- he would not even taste it and clamp his mouth shut. It was a mental block and anxiety more than even the actual taste of it. He wouldn't even give it a chance and make himself gag.

Luckily now he seems to be over it. For the past 2 days he has not even cried when I've given him the meds and I didn't even have to bribe him. He just accepts it now and opens his mouth. Thank God!!!!!

I give him the doase in 5 small squirts and we count each one and I tell him to breathe through his nose and remind him to swallow it each time- because his first response/reaction is to want to spit it back out at me. When he does well I make a big deal out of it and give him a "High 5" and tell him how proud I am of him. Yesterday his teachers said he was repeating "Mommy is so proud of you" lol

It's so much better once you can reason with a child. I'm so relieved he is taking the medicine and getting better. I don't want to seem him suffering with an ear infection.

I guess I have given meds to animals for so many years I tolerated very little resistance from my son. I am a fairly lenient parent, but not when it comes to necessary meds. My son pulled the "clamp his lips shut thing" but I knew from animals where to apply pressure that makes the jaws open. It didn't hurt him at all and before he could react, the syringe was in his mouth and the meds were down his throat. (I also knew how to hold a mouth firmly shut with no trauma to the child) Sometimes working as a vet's assistant for a few years pays off.

^LOL- working with animals would certainly help!!! I've given meds to cats before and it wasn't fun. The main problem in my son's case was that before, even when I could "force" him to take it and swallow it- he'd be so upset that he would make himself throw up in a matter of minutes. So he'd throw up the medicine and have an additional ailment that he didn't have before (vomiting). So he would go from having a sinus infection and needing meds, to having a sinus infection and vomiting. It was Hell. I am so glad we are past it!!!!

Archived