Ex. only "sad" because of break-up?

My boyfriend said that me breaking up with him only causes him to be "sad." I always thought that he was the one who loved me more. It has been hard throughout our relationship because it was only last year that I lost my best friend, who was also the love of my life, to muscular dystrophy. But I have found myself at a place where I love my boyfriend more than ever. He is finally through with me though....He said that he needed a two week break to figure out whether or not he wants to be with me. He was being so mean and hurtful to me that I finally said we should just end it completely...Even though it is the opposite of what I want. I want so much to wait out those two weeks, but I know that he can't possibly feel the same way for me as he did before if he has to figure out whether or not I'm good enough for him. That is what was making me go insane. So today, after I said we should end it, he showed no emotions whatsoever. I asked him later if he still loved me, and he said that yes he did, and you know, how can I believe him? I then asked him why he didn't even try to stop me from breaking it off. He said there's not much he can do. I asked him if he felt any sort of emotions toward our breakup at all, and he said that it just made him sad. Sad? I asked him. Just sad? And he says well you know me, I'm not a real sensetive guy.... Does this really mean that he never loved me all that much in the first place??? I know the answer but I don't want to accept it. Someone just please give me some sort of insight...When the person you love breaks up with you, and you truly love them, don't you at least feel pain, and don't you miss them, and ask if there is some other way?? B/c that is how I am feeling. I can't believe that he doesn't love me, when I love him so much...

People experience pain and suffering in very different ways. Your ex may love and it may be hard for him. He did suggest the break up and that doesn't mean that he doesn't care about you as a person and may even love you, but wherever he is at in his life right now it doesn't seem like you are really part of it. When you love someone your world seems so right and it is hard to think that you have met someone that completes you so much and they don't feel the same in return. It isn't fair and it makes things that much harder that he doesn't see that you didn't mean it when you said that you wanted to break up to him that may have been what he was hoping you would do. I don't know you or him so I can only make assumptions based on what you have said and my own experiences. The hardest thing for me to get over was loving someone who didn't love me back at the time I couldn't believe it. Everything is great. Understand that even if he doesn't return the same feelings and this doesn't work out there is someone who will appreciate and love you the same way that you do. I can tell you all the cliches like you kiss a lot of frogs before you meet your prince. The only thing I have found helps in a situation like this is time and finding confidence in yourself. He will never give you the answers you seek. The ones he does will only confuse and hurt you more. I hope for everyone on here that they find the love that they are looking for, but I feel the person that brings people to this site is the person you will learn the most from about love loss and regaining your own perspective. I wish you the best of luck